Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New shocks and springs eat speed bumps for lunch
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: New shocks and springs eat speed bumps for lunch Reply with quote

I got my new Koni shocks and Syncro.org springs in a week or two ago. Took the Westy out to Carkeek park for a nice walk in the late Fall weather. On the way in, decided to take the speed bumps at a little faster speed than usual, just to see how the new shocks and springs would respond.

It was almost as if nothing happened. Feeling a little braver, I took the next speed bumps at a faster speed yet. Almost no bump at all. Now usually, I have the contents of the dashboard quickly finding new homes all over my floor. This time, the pencil that lives near the ashtray just looked at me and said, "is that all you can do?"...

Mind you, this is probably not recommended once you have an alignment done. I'm just breaking the springs and shocks in right now, and I'll be getting some 16" wheels in another week or so, after which I'll be getting the alignment set straight. Just wanted to say, "Wow!"

Stephen

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it! I have the same combination along with 16" wheels, Geolandar ATSs, and bigger front and rear sway bars. The biggest change has been in the handling on the highway passing big rigs, windy conditions, and general stability. Enjoy the ride, just don't trash your new suspension as your seeking it's breaking points. Wink
Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:
Enjoy the ride, just don't trash your new suspension as your seeking it's breaking points. Wink

Well you're no fun Smile

Stephen

motelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know where you're coming from. When I had my Syncro GL a few years back, I knew all the dips and bumps in town that I could get airborne on. (At least it felt that way) Man I miss that ride!
pete000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koni's are the best !
Koni Shocks
H & R Red Springs
Addco Sway Bars Front-Rear
18 X 7.5 and 18 X 8 OEM Porsche Wheels
Recaro Power-Heated seats
Beaverboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got Konis in the front and the chevy van/helper spring Monroe's in the back.

I still flinch for every pothole/railroad track/etc that I come to.. and end up feeling foolish afterwords when there's no bump at all. Embarassed

The Konis are worth every penny.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: