Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crappy Chinese ignition switch! Beware!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Crappy Chinese ignition switch! Beware! Reply with quote

Hey Sambanistas, A friendly warning to all who have installed a new igntion switch that may have been made in China. I've gone thru this twice now- didn't have a choice. I have a 72 Deluxe. The black wire coming off the switch caught fire and melted Shocked . No fun driving down the road with smoke coming out of the column!!!! Fortunately I was able to get off the road and repair it there. No fun pulling the steering wheel in sme parking lot and trying to solder wires. Guess what the new chinese ignition switch did the same thiing!! Evil or Very Mad You can see that the new wires are real shiny and soft. Crappy quality!
Had to jury rig the switch with a jumper with clips and zip tie it to my column. The chinese wires are sub standard copper and wire coating is not heat resistant like to OG stuff is. Since I'm an aircraft technician, I'm going to replace the wires with aircraft grade 14 GA wire. Of course , make sure there is not a short somewhere down the line from the switch before firing things up. Anyone else have this problem? Good luck All...........
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would help us if we knew where you got this part so that we could ID and avoid it.
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually bought it at a reputable parts dealer, Olympus auto parts in Alexandria, VA. They usually have good parts. Does VW still make he original?
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is nothing new. Do a search for ignition switch and you'll see that there were already warnings up about the chinese switch, and which one to buy and which one to avoid.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: