Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust leak help.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toad39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Exhaust leak help. Reply with quote

Hey there evryone!

So I'm having exhause trouble in my 79 baywindow. Im getting exhaust from my engine in my front ventilation. Im not too good with cars or my bus in general, but I'm just wondering where the best place to look for the exhaust leak may be? Manifold? please specify cause im not too good with parts or names please bare with me, you guys have helped me before please help me again!! Thanks! Smile
timo78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get exhaust smell in the engine compartment as well? If so it could be pulled from the compartment then through the ducting to the heater vents. Otherwise it may be a fouled/cracked heat exchanger.

Also if it is an oily smell, check that you don't have oil dripping from your valve covers and seeping into the heat exchanger.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the prior poster indicated, there are two issues with the heaters. They can crack and let actual exhaust into the cab. CO is odorless and poisonous. You can get a cheap CO alarm to test for it, like a fire alarm. The other issue is simply oil and grease on it being heated and smelling. To get rid of that you need to fix oil leaks then run the heater for a few days with the windows open and the smell will go away. We usually run our heater once in awhile with the windows open, even in the summer so when we need it, that smell is not there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: