Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

85 suspension uprights
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: 85 suspension uprights Reply with quote

Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.

I SUSPECT my right side spindle/upright to be slightly bent, as the last time I had an alignment I was told they had a hard time getting into spec, and I recall a low speed slide on ice into a curb years ago on the right side.

As I am rebuilding the front end on my Subie Vanagon, I bought a used passenger upright from the Samba, supposedly from an 85 Vanagon with power steering; my Wolfsburg has power steering as well.

Looking at the 2 spindles side by side, I notice that the steering arm length in the castings is identical, but the drilling center for the tie rod end is offset on the steering arm by about 1/2-3/4" between the 2, with mine being a bit shorter than the replacement. I know that the steering arm lengths are different from non-PS to PS-equipped Vanagons to allow for different leverage requirements, but is this how they accomplished that-a subtle change in drilling centers on the same casting/forging, or are the steering arm lengths noticeably different and I'm making a big deal out of nothing?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 suspension uprights Reply with quote

connorsvw2 wrote:
I know that the steering arm lengths are different from non-PS to PS-equipped Vanagons to allow for different leverage requirements, but is this how they accomplished that-a subtle change in drilling centers on the same casting/forging, or are the steering arm lengths noticeably different and I'm making a big deal out of nothing?

The steering arm lengths are indeed the same (as are the rest of the castings), but the holes are drilled in different locations to give different leverages, like you said. The side effect of different leverages is also different steering angles for a given position. In other words, you can not mix and match the two. Not that you were considering that, right?

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not now! That would create some "interesting" steering angle changes I don't want to be a part of...

Anyone need a non-PS '85/earlier pass side upright for cheap?!!

I'm going to try and re-use mine, as there is no visible difference (bending) between the 2, and hopefully by replacing everything else they can get me back into spec.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you have the wrong one, perhaps you can compare to see if yours is actually bent. They are pretty stout. Lay both on a flat surface and make some measurements.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: