Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things have door locks!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Things have door locks! Reply with quote

Um, yah...So I tried to open one of the rear doors and the latch wouldn't release. After 1/2-hour beating on the door, peering into the mechanism with a flashlight, poking with a screwdriver, etc., I removed the door hinges and it still wouldn't release....In an attempt to free the mechanism, I, by chance, lifted on the door by the inner handle and click, the door opened like new.

To make it worse, I had previously removed all the mechanisms, cleaned lubed and reinstalled them, and still was unaware that they would lock.

Just thought I'd share my "Duhhh" moment of the day. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Doc*181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always handy... a car that can be locked. Razz

I guess you will never forget it now. Laughing
blsthng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Door locks Reply with quote

Hey is there a Blonde joke here??? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually try not to advertise the fact that blondness in an affliction that affects males as well as females. Unfortunately my two boys have it too.

By the way, what is the recommended 710 to use in my engine?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FlowerPowered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel too bad, I didn't have the same revelation until about a year after we bought ours. I took it into a paint shop for an estimate and they opened my "stuck" rear door, and my eyes.
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't happen to me because someone showed me how it works Cool . But almost everyone new to this car gets fooled by the locking mechanism... Twisted Evil
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might try reading the manual, its easier if you look at it as a historic document Smile. I made my son read his to his 82 westy and he actually thanked me.
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just glad I didn't post a question on how to release the latch before I figured it out. I'd never be able to show my kids face here again. Razz
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emeritusx wrote:
Might try reading the manual, its easier if you look at it as a historic document Smile. I made my son read his to his 82 westy and he actually thanked me.

x2

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Solomon Grundy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great story… I have had a few moments like that on my cars.

Funny things is that a long time ago it downed on me why even bother having a locked door, other than maybe to keep you in the car, in any convertible… I mean even on a new convertible you could get in with a very small pocket knife if you wanted to. I decided shortly after that to never lock my doors because the top was too expensive to replace and I never carry any valuables that anyone might see or want in the car. And if they are crazy enough to steal the car then good luck to them trying. I mean think about it, what crazy son of a b*** steels a camo colored car with machinegun mounts in the back…?! Cool
| _______
| |_______| '73 Thing "481"
| _\_\_|_/_/_
| |O||_4_||O|
| [ ]=====[ ]
http://vwthingregistry.com
https://doublecabshaka.wordpress.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those locks come in handy during the winter- when my latches gum-up, a door often decides to fly open at speed. The lock is how I keep the doors shut. Thieves- You are warned.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Nijyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first had mine I looked at the arrows on the latch and worked it out from there but even now I can never remember whether it's up or down to lock it Very Happy
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germans do everything bassackwards, up is lock, down is on. When I hook up a switch in my VW's I always use down for on. And I always hafta think about it when I use them. But if you can remember backwards you are half way there
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda makes sense. It's harder to push down with a coat hanger than it is to pull up..of course 2-seconds with a box knife would be much easier.

Personally, I think Rudolf Leiding was holding a grudge from WWII and this was one of his little passive-agressive ways at making us suffer for it. I mean, come-on, did he really think the little bit of paint on the latch would hold up after 36-years and a trip through my bead blaster? Heinz Nordhoff wouldn't have let that crap slip through. Razz
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Things have door locks! Reply with quote

Chad1376 wrote:
Um, yah...So I tried to open one of the rear doors and the latch wouldn't release. After 1/2-hour beating on the door, peering into the mechanism with a flashlight, poking with a screwdriver, etc., I removed the door hinges and it still wouldn't release....In an attempt to free the mechanism, I, by chance, lifted on the door by the inner handle and click, the door opened like new.

To make it worse, I had previously removed all the mechanisms, cleaned lubed and reinstalled them, and still was unaware that they would lock.

Just thought I'd share my "Duhhh" moment of the day. Embarassed

Just saw this thread🙈
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frogman_94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Things have door locks! Reply with quote

I replaced my rear outside door handles with front ones. I re-keyed the rear doors to match the front doors. Now I can unlock my rear doors with the key. I don't have to reach back from the front door to unlock them.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Things have door locks! Reply with quote

Having had convertibles for 40 years, I learned early not to lock the car when parked on the street. People who want to get in think nothing of slicing a top with a knife and reaching in to unlock the car. The cost of a top is significantly more than stealing change from the dash cubby.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Things have door locks! Reply with quote

Posted several time previously But it might be useful here also.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KD90815
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Things have door locks! Reply with quote

My 5 year old niece found this out for me. She latched it when Iwas taking her for a ride around the block. I couldn't get her out of the car....I had her slide to the other side. I could not figure it out....I messed with that door for about 20 min until i decided to swing by my mechanic's place. He made me feel kind of stupid when he reached unside and unlatched it an told me to "open it now". I think he has seen bewildered new thing owners before. These are quirky cars which is part of what makes them cool.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: