Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop Top roof fitting issues HELP!!!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Pop Top roof fitting issues HELP!!! Reply with quote

Today I installed my freshly painted 1980 roof onto my 1985 westy. This is the first time I have had this roof on my van. The roof does not seem to want to sit low enough in the front. I have made as many adjustments as possible, and I've run out of options. the roof does click into the latch on the van, but it seems like the hole that the pin slides into is too high, therefore leaving the roof up about 3/4" too high. There are 2 small adjustments that can be made with the latch, niether of which helped.

As well, I have noticed that this new roof (from a donor van) seems to have a bulge about half way down each side, which prevents the roof from sealing properly. I can fit about a fingers width between the seal and the body of the van.

I will take some pics tomorrow. If anyone else has run into this problem please let me know the remedy. I live in Vancouver, and it has been raining non stop for the past two weeks. If I drive the van with a poor fitting roof, I will have some major leak issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Witless Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the fibreglass top fit at the back of the van, above the tailgate top?

Is it really tight back there, pinching the rubber seal REALLY tight against the van body?

Possibly a re-alignment of the hinges would help. They are slotted where the bolts go into the roof of the van body, IIRC.

If it was too tight back there, then forcing it down at the front, to lock at the latch, might bulge out the sides. You're curving the fibreglass top into a convex shape if the rear hinges are misaligned like that.
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is tight side to side at the back, and there is a small gap between the back edge of the roof and the tailgate. I have tried to use the hinge adjustment and slide the roof back more, but it isn't helping. I'm afraid the roof is warped and that is why the sides are bulging out. Even when the roof was not on the van, I noticed this slight deformity on the sides of the roof. I figured it would straighten out when on the van. Man, am I ever pissed off. I've spent about 50 hours and $300 refinishing this roof, and it doesn't even fit. I guess I should have done a test fir prior to all the work Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get some 'T' stock aluminum extrusion. Use pop rivets or screws to secure it to the inside of your top. about mid way down the side. Fit it closed to ensure it has no interference with the top of the van. Then put the rivets or screws in wet with sealant, so you have a seal. This should pull the bulge in and straighten out the top sides and keep it that way. You can get some 'T' stock aluminum from a window shop. It may not be a true 'T', but close enough for a low pice in a cut to length size. Home Depot sells some as well, but they are quite proud of their metals, price wise.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO you have any photos, yet?

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Bogey2u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Camper pop top replacement. Reply with quote

I currently have a '81 Vanagon camper with the ASI Riveria camper conversion. This is the top that raises straight up rather than pivoting at the rear like the Westy top.

I'm in the process of replacing the top due to multiple cracks at the corners and and also a major crack / break in the luggage portion. This ASI top is made from ABS plastic rather than fiberglass and the repair process (plastic welding) required for the extent of the needed repairs is just not practical. Amazingly the top does not leak when not raised.

I've located a Westy top for a replacement, but I have no idea if it will fit the ASI roof cut out. Can anyone provide the dimensions required for the Westy top? I'm also unsure how the bolts that fasten the camper top brackets to the camper are installed into the roof. Are there issues that I should be aware of before tackling this project?

Any help with answers will be greatly appreciated.

Frank
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend starting your own thread, maybe with a title of 'Need to replace ASI top with Westy top and need dimensions'. You'll get more response and not highjack this thread.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Bogey2u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appeared this thread is about installing a camper pop top. Since Shorepig and others have undertaken this installation I thought that perhaps they had noted these measurements.

Lighten up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: