Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift linkage
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hornman
Samba Soul Surfer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Shift linkage Reply with quote

Hello men and women of Splitsville. I've quickly develped a bunch of slop in my stick shift (I know, sounds like a personal problem). At first, it wasn't down shifting correctly. But now it's so sloppy, it has trouble knowing what's 1st or 3rd. And the stick feels like it's all over the place. I haven't had a chance to crawl underneath but I'm hoping that I've got a screw lose (or two). Yah, I'm thinking that things may need to be tightened up. What do you think?
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check, well, EVERYTHING! Rolling Eyes

Loose shifter base plate, plastic bushings, shaft couplings (for loose bolts AND busted rubber), the nose cone for cracks or just plain broken! Shocked

Also take a look at the tranny mount at the nose cone. These things can get loose and make it difficult to shift properly. Confused

Good luck! Cool
Hornman
Samba Soul Surfer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PyrO. It's always something, ain't it?!?
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fix it now. er... really.. if you are shifting not quite into gear it may mess up yr synchros.

check the screw in the rear shift couple, just forward of the tranny. they should have wire through the heads and around the rod, twisted to prevent them coming loose. should.

sound like a loose bolt back there, or you need a new rear coupler.
Hornman
Samba Soul Surfer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara, that was it! That little screw was just barely hanging there. Glad it hadn't fallen all the way out. MAN, now it shifts far better than it ever had! Shocked It's been loose for a while. Thanks! And thanks to Pyro and George Lyle as well.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blessed Bus wrote:
Clara, that was it! That little screw was just barely hanging there. Glad it hadn't fallen all the way out. MAN, now it shifts far better than it ever had! Shocked It's been loose for a while. Thanks! And thanks to Pyro and George Lyle as well.

I hope you put some wire in there too!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to hijack the thread, but my shifter is a little sloppy, I can find the gears, but when its in gear I can move it from side to side... Is this the culprit?
rusbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sundial Camper wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, but my shifter is a little sloppy, I can find the gears, but when its in gear I can move it from side to side... Is this the culprit?

some side to side movement is normal...it's the space between the "gear selector forks" or whatever they're called.

how much movement are we talking here?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sundial Camper wrote:

That's either the shifter bushing up front, loose shift coupler screws, or a shift coupler that is about to fall apart
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never messed with the shifter stuff and I just installed a new locking shifter, so I guess I'm going to have to get under there and check. It was making a noise like something was coming loose when you get going down the highway in 4th, like a vibration in the shifter. If I put my hand on it, it would stop or if I moved it up and over it would stop till it vibrated back after awhile. After I installed the locking shifter it stopped doing that, but there is still side to side play in the shifter.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sundial Camper wrote:
It was making a noise like something was coming loose when you get going down the highway in 4th, like a vibration in the shifter. If I put my hand on it, it would stop or if I moved it up and over it would stop till it vibrated back after awhile.

check yr front tranny mount, as well as the shifter linkage stuff.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: