Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Metal Flakes in T4 oil screen
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TOURJEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Metal Flakes in T4 oil screen Reply with quote

Hey all,

Okay so I think I know that this is bad but don't worry I am not freaking out. I have a 2000 T4 in a 1979 westy that has about 60k since last rebuild. I have recently been experiencing some bucking and power loss that is usually due to junk in the fuel filter. Changed the filter. All seemed good. I also just recently pulled the starter and replaced the solenoid. At the same time I replaced the thermostat bellows with a T1 bellows. This failed after first heat up so I left the expanded bellows in place. Today I changed the oil and found 7 or 8 smallish flakes of metal...not sure but looked like aluminum....in the sump plate below the screen.

Changed the oil and stated it back up. It sounds like it is missing on idle but sounds normal when revved. I did not notice this before and have drove it a bit since I last worked on it. I let it keep idling as I cleaned up my mess. After about 5 min of idle it started to cut out like it was going to die but then would come right back. it did this 4 or 5 times before I turned it off.

I know I gave alot of background info but I cant help but think I did something wrong the last time I worked on it. Any suggestions or help are greatly apreciated. Also advice on whether or not I should continue with my plan to drive 6 hours to joshua tree tomorrow night.

Thanks again,

Josh
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help with the flakes, but don't think that's related to the bucking.

I'd suggest replace Temp Sensor 2 ($20). If that doesn't fix it, try swapping in another Airflow meter.

If you search the board, you should find more info on the bucking and other possible causes.

Good luck!
Mark
DubKru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled my spare motor apart today. My metal flakes (about the size of pancakes! Sad ) were the cam bearings getting the hell out of that motor.
TOURJEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bucking has gone and I did find crud in the fuel filter...I was just throwing that in there for a complete recent hx of whats been done. I have had to replace both the T2 sensor and the air box before and this bucking is different. It was def. due to crud in fuel filter.

Still worried about this stuff in the oil sump plate. I def cannot afford a rebuild and due to recent rust problems probably wont want to anyway. Too bad shes my daily driver!
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOURJEE wrote:
Still worried about this stuff in the oil sump plate. I def cannot afford a rebuild and due to recent rust problems probably wont want to anyway. Too bad shes my daily driver!

Post up some pics...stuff is relative. Wink
timo78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOURJEE wrote:

Any pictures of the particles or a description of what size/compostition they were? Steel, or alloy [magnetic]?
Change the fluid and check the sump more frequently and hopefully you wont see m/any more of them.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you change out the fuel filter and cut the old one open what do you see?

Is the fuel pump making noise? Is it ever warm?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TOURJEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no pics and I have since discarded of metal shavings. There were aprox. 7-8 small flakes that looked to be shiny, possibly aluminum. The largest one was perhaps 2 mm across.

I'm not looking for a definitive answer, just curious if any one might have an idea.

thanks.
timo78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a chip off the ole piston if it was an alloy. The sump screen did it's job and protected your oil circuit.
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOURJEE wrote:
no pics and I have since discarded of metal shavings.

Must not have been too bad then...I have pulled valve guides from my screen that never caused any internal damage.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime an engine is making metal is time for concern, next time you find bits of engine don't toss them out until you are absolutely sure you know where they came from. May not be a bad idea to stick a little magnet to the inside of the screen or taco plate, it'll catch anyting nasty if it is making ferrous metal.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
TOURJEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody. I am fairly certain it was aluminum bits. I did not mean to toss them but in my chaotic state I did miss place them amidst the oily mess.

Should I drive it around tommorrow and change the oil again before deciding if I should take the risk and drive out j. tree? I have owned the bus for almost 4 years and never seen anything like this.

I am afraid I am justified in my worrying.
timo78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With such a small amount, and composition found it's unlikely it will affect your trip plans. Be nice to it on your trip though, and change the oil again when you get back after that long haul. Only running it will determine if there's more to be found. Get some AAA coverage if you don't have it for peace of mind. I was glad I had it when my cam decided to go flaky a few years ago.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have the oil filter open it up and tear apart the media, a magnifying glass comes in handy for this, also check the botton of the can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TOURJEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Busman, I will tear that open later. I just drove it around town for like an hour and all seemed good. Then I drained the oil and had another look at the screen and sump plate. Clean. I have been running the bus without a working thermostat and wonder if the metal was from cold starts and long warm up times.

Either way Im gonna run it out to joshua tree tonight. Wish me luck.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOURJEE wrote:
no pics and I have since discarded of metal shavings. There were aprox. 7-8 small flakes that looked to be shiny, possibly aluminum. The largest one was perhaps 2 mm across.

I'm not looking for a definitive answer, just curious if any one might have an idea.

thanks.

Bearing material guaranteed.
TOURJEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I made it back from the trip with only a minor complication. On the way there it was losing power every so often as I have experienced from the clogged fuel filter.

At one point it totally cut off and red lights came on the dash. Pulled over and it would not start again. Checked oil....good. Engine was not hot....good. Checked spark....good. Changed fuel filter. No junk came out of the old one as is ussually the case. Still would not start. Checked vaccum hoses and found a loose one, tightened it. Tried to start it and nothing. Then I checked the inline fuse in the engine compartment, which I believe is for FI. It was old and mangy but did not appear to be broken. I swapped it anyway. Started right up. I shut it down and started it again. Puzzled by why the other fuse would not work I shut it off and put the old fuse back in. Started right up.

No further problems the rest of the trip. Weird.

Udidwht, if it is indeed bearing material what are the reprocussions of that? Is the end near? I have not changed the oil again but plan to today or tommorow.

Thanks.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if it is indeed bearing material what are the reprocussions of that

If - and I wouldn't worry unless the metal is there again, it means a teardown and splt the case.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fuse isn't for the FI, it's for the backup lights, but the FI is fed by the same wire that feeds it. You may want to check all the terminals and look for hidden breaks where the wires enter the terminals, by playing with the fuse you may have disturbed a wire connection enough to make it work again.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Nica
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didnt look at all like the metal seals on oil bottles did they?? I once found one in the screen and at first I was like WTF is that and then when i put the oil in i realized it had fell off the oil bottle during the previous oil change.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: