Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 Oil Breather Pressure Regulating Valve 022 115 303 A
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats kind of what I was getting at when I mentioned the leverage even a small amount of vacuum applies to a diaphram of that size. Its main detraction will probably be the burning of large quantities of oil...although teh breather covers on type 4's are pretty nice oil baffels. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a custom design might include a set of 914 valve covers plumbed with a flame trap, and a Mann Provent system with a check valve. It would not be stock but I believe it would be close enough that it would pass smog in smog states.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It very hard to properly plumb vents into teh valve covers in a type 4. Not much clearance. Its just as simple to drill out the provided bosses...even with heads on....and insert the rocker box breather tubes and hoses like stock. Leave the vent diaphram plumbed to the very low pressure boot and run the rocker box hoses to teh air cleaner just like a 1.7 or 2.0 914. Cleasnest ands coolest running set-up I have seen.

The bosses for the cooling tubes are cast into the heads. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
It very hard to properly plumb vents into teh valve covers in a type 4. Not much clearance. Its just as simple to drill out the provided bosses...even with heads on....and insert the rocker box breather tubes and hoses like stock. Leave the vent diaphram plumbed to the very low pressure boot and run the rocker box hoses to teh air cleaner just like a 1.7 or 2.0 914. Cleasnest ands coolest running set-up I have seen.

I have thought of doing what you propose here, you are creating something half way between an open and a sealed ventilation system. The problems is any air that enters through the rocker vents and then goes through the case and into the S boot will be unmetered and may cause lean running the same as any other vacuum leak. You would probably be okay if you used fairly small diameter hose to vent the rockers. Even a little fresh air would go a long way in evaporating crap out of the oil.

I think your orifice idea is best. Don't know whether it would be best to combine that with the original venting to the S boot or just add and use rocker box venting. They both have advantages and negatives.
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this discussion got my curiousity up, so I went and took the breather off the bus and had a good look.

Happily, it seems my breather functions properly. (Must be one of the lucky few). When I suck on the top hole I can feel the valve move and it holds the suction. I can see some of the diaphragm with a flashlight and it looks intact, and I can blow through freely from either end.

However I don't have the drain hole / suction breaker that aircoolednut has. Despite the identical part numbers stamped on the top. Weird?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, I surprised that the "breather tower" is not more baffled. It's hard to see in this blurry photo, but it looks like oil can just go right through it.

josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I have thought of doing what you propose here, you are creating something half way between an open and a sealed ventilation system. The problems is any air that enters through the rocker vents and then goes through the case and into the S boot will be unmetered and may cause lean running the same as any other vacuum leak. You would probably be okay if you used fairly small diameter hose to vent the rockers. Even a little fresh air would go a long way in evaporating crap out of the oil.

I think your orifice idea is best. Don't know whether it would be best to combine that with the original venting to the S boot or just add and use rocker box venting. They both have advantages and negatives.

You could draw air from the S shaped boot for the head vents and vent the crankcase gasses to the plenum through a metered orifice or PCV valve. Most of the time there should be enough pressure differential between the plenum and the boot to keep the gasses flowing in the proper direction. Any reversions could cause trouble though and may have to be dealt with separately. This would be similar to the D-jet system except that the D-jet system doesn't have an airflow meter.

So the big questions would be;"How would the airflow meter react?" and "Could the affects to the airflow meter be compensated for with tuning?".

raygreenwood wrote:

The bosses for the cooling tubes are cast into the heads. Ray

Unfortunately late bus heads don't normally have the bosses.
...If If stoner A takes a hit and then stoner B goes right away(not waiting two seconds), he's trying to suck on it while it's still got a vaccum, doesen't get much of a hit at all! Cause it hasn't filled back up all the way yet.

Stoner A is cylinders #2/4 B is #1/3 The plugged bowl is the throttle, the bong is the manifold
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, in response to this thread along with the ones on STF I installed a metered flow PCV bleed direct to the intake manifold today. My valve covers were already vented with filters tucked away in the engine compartment. Drilled a 1/2" brass rod with a #31 drill (.120), which is just a hair over 3mm, installed a tee about three inches from the manifold in the brake booster line.

Wow! The improvement was noticable immediately, the engine steadied to a smooth idle, although a bit fast. Had to increase the idle jet one step, turn the throttle setting down a half turn, sitting at 800rpm and steady. Besides the 3mm orifice I made a 4mm and 5mm which I have not played with yet. Did a quick blast down the interstate, after about twenty miles I pulled over and removed a plug, a really nice light chocolate milkshake color. Unfortunately the wind kicked up and clouds rolled in.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is super. You might look at a 914 breather box to see what size bleed is on it. From the appearance the 914 its breather box is slightly different and it does not appear to use the funky valve. One option I might consider is to use a wide band a/f gauge to set the bleed size. Are you using a pcv valve of any kind in line that shuts off at low vacuum?

Also - I seem to remember that in the Weber carbs, 3 air bleed jets is equal to 1 main jet. (best to look it up my memory is old). By playing with the air bleed vs main jet sizes, you can change the a/f curve, whether it favors enrichment at the low or top end. I believe that going up 1 on the main jet and up 3 sizes of airbleed will favor enrichment at the top end (best to look it up) while down 3 sizes of airbleed and down 1 on the main favors enrichment at the low end of the rpm curve.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent, I used a 914 breather without that funky valve. Need to put a couple copper choreboys in the tower to help separate, although inspection of the bleed valve was dry. My top end and transition from progression to main is nice, secondary is superb, I did have a very slight, hard to put your finger on mid/high progression lag (stumble), on getting home I checked the float level and it was high, 36mm instead of 41mm, possibly flooding the emulsions with too much fuel. No chance to test. I will be pulling the carb to check the position of the primary thottle plate in relation to the first progression port, based on the response I have now from idle to progression I suspect the plate is right where it should be. Still going to test the 5mm & 6mm bleeds, I am sure there will be a little main or air correction change down the road but for now I am impressed.

On my list of things to buy is an A/F unit, for now it is a seat of the pants affair.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the throttle plate placement on first progression hole will make a significant difference in coming off idle. Some webers are have a thin bevel there so the width of the throttle plate is less and that makes it easier to match up the first progression hole. I also hold the throttle body up to light to be sure the throttle plates are even in the bore. Locktight or lightly peen the bolts if you loosen them. Once adjusted rarely do they even need it again unless the throttle bushing wears from the shaft.

You indicated a mid flat spot. That can also be the timing curve passing through a range and hesitating a little. I could always tell when the weights were getting a little dry or the plate needed a little lubriplate.

We have this 1977 we are restoring and in California it has to be smog legal to the year made. Carbs are so simple to tune compared to the 1977 FI - at least for me.
VDub Campers Ltd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My breather diaphragm is totally shot. I removed it and sealed the top back on.
What's likely to happen if i run the bus like this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the diaphragm moves constantly to regulate the pressure inside the case. I can feel small pulses of air on mine coming out the diaphragm hole and since the diaphragm is good it tells me that the diaphragm is really working hard to keep that pressure at -0- and no less.

Without a diaphragm you will apply a vacuum inside the case and that will cause more air to be sucked in and bypass the AFM. If you have a carb you can vent it to the air cleaner without worry. If you still have the FI, your choices are to either vent to a catch can and plug off the end that goes into S-boot (not smoggable), find a used one, spend $1200 to have a hundred diaphragms made, or build a metering contraption like Ray Greenwood suggests. My suggestion is to find a good used one until someone is willing to spend $1200 to have 100 made. I lack the money right now or I would do that. I've written Mann-Hummel twice and they don't respond so the odds of them making them again are nil.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a good thread on breathers on the Vanagon forum.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=295812

The consensus seems to be is that it makes little difference whether the diaphragm is good or not. If the diaphragm is bad you do need to make sure all the engine seals are in good condition as the case which originally was under a slight pressure will be under a slight vacuum. Unless you have air leaking into the case, the lack of properly working breather valve should not affect mixture as crankcase gases are pretty inert or at least neutral as to oxygen requirements.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just look for a good used one in the wrecking yards.

I have studied this valve pretty extensively. From the design, its purpose is most noticeable on a healthy engine. Assuming that blowby is tolerable, without it working correctly the vacuum in the S-boot will overcome the blowby and create a vacuum inside the case. This will increase blowby and any air leaks into the case. I may even suck in valve cover gaskets, and cause premature crankshaft seal failures by keeping the seals drier. Is it noticeable? Probably not in the short term but over time yes. If the oppisite is true - the engine is worn and has extensive blowby already - the case of the vanagon thread, adding or removing the valve does nothing because the blowby has already overcome the FI idle circuit and mixture. Good or bad, the blowby was already too much for the FI idle circuit to handle. Probably the owner has extensive blowby because he ran the engine too long with a bad valve. The vacuum in the case in its initial stages reduced lubrication on the rings and allowed for more ring wear. In effect the rings went through a life cycle very quickly because of the decrease in lubrication. Now the constant blowby makes it impossible for the owner to control the idle.

I will eventually have spare diaphragms made and sell them but not right now as I am still looking for a couple nos valves to use as the mold. If my current one went bad and I was unable to find a good used one, an alternative solution would be to create some sort of a filter/trap to catch the oil and work as a flame trap, then dump the blowby into the air cleaner. This solution worked well for carbs for 20 years. IMHO it would over time however gum up the AFM and lead to a failure there. How soon would depend upon how well the oil filter/trap was designed. But it is easier to replace an AFM than an engine.

There is a product that IMHO can easily be used to substitute for the valve but it would take some mounting to use it. It is also made by Mann-Hummel and is the newest generic valve designed to do what the one in our bus does.

www.mann-hummel.com/group/upload/doc/HBLAXUCmOK5.pdf

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I have studied this valve pretty extensively. From the design, its purpose is most noticeable on a healthy engine. Assuming that blowby is tolerable, without it working correctly the vacuum in the S-boot will overcome the blowby and create a vacuum inside the case. This will increase blowby and any air leaks into the case. I may even suck in valve cover gaskets, and cause premature crankshaft seal failures by keeping the seals drier. Is it noticeable? Probably not in the short term but over time yes. If the oppisite is true - the engine is worn and has extensive blowby already - the case of the vanagon thread, adding or removing the valve does nothing because the blowby has already overcome the FI idle circuit and mixture. Good or bad, the blowby was already too much for the FI idle circuit to handle. Probably the owner has extensive blowby because he ran the engine too long with a bad valve. The vacuum in the case in its initial stages reduced lubrication on the rings and allowed for more ring wear. In effect the rings went through a life cycle very quickly because of the decrease in lubrication. Now the constant blowby makes it impossible for the owner to control the idle.

I think that you are blowing the extent of this problem all out of proportion. The vacuum put against the case by a non working valve is very minor, always less than the vacuum existing on the down stream side of the AFM. Can't be but a few inches of water under the most extreme conditions. Virtually all of these valves have failed on WBXers and those engine don't seem to be having any problems with them, even tight new rebuilds. I am a real believer in maintaining this kind of part in A-1 condition, but in this case it just doesn't seem to make much of any difference. Remember that many many makes and models of engines that use a PCV valve between the valve cover and the intake manifold probably see much more case vacuum than the T-4 system ever will.

When the Vanagon debate was going on, I did buy some NOS valve from another application which could easily enough be used to replace the stock T4 valve on the breather. I haven't tried it yet as the priority is just very low and I am not expecting to see any change in performance or engine longevity.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think that you are blowing the extent of this problem all out of proportion. The vacuum put against the case by a non working valve is very minor,

I know we differ on this. I believe that the vacuum is about 18 inches because I have measured it at that. At decel it would be less because the TB closes. Fuel Injection Corp tells me the factory set the AFM's at 20 inches of vacuum and if one can't pull 18 - 20 inches at the AFM something is wrong. I believe that 20 inches of vacuum inside the crankcase is enough over time to cause problems and that is where we most humbly differ in opinion.

If you want to put the pieces together for a working PCV system on this motor I would be glad to consider it as I gave up on it and just bought up every used breather valve I could find at a reasonable price. I even ran an ad for used bad ones rather than see people toss them becaused with a new diaphragm I would be able to help out in situations like this just for the cost of the replacement diaphragm and a core. The ideal situation would be to find a workable inline PCV valve that could clamp into the hose and then install breather lines and flame traps from the valve covers to the airbox.
Rusty O'Toole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about removing the broken diaphragm and substituting a conventional PCV valve in the hose?
baumer99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently replaced a shot breather with a working one. The shot one produced a constant stream of air, where the new (used) working one produced the pulses described:

SGKent wrote:
the diaphragm moves constantly to regulate the pressure inside the case. I can feel small pulses of air on mine coming out the diaphragm hole and since the diaphragm is good it tells me that the diaphragm is really working hard to keep that pressure at -0- and no less.

I could hear the diaphragm and spring moving when I put vacuum on the little hole producing the pulses. On the shot one any vacuum didn't move anything and after taking it apart the diaphragm was shot. (and I've put on 260,000 km with it that way Shocked )

As for difference, anything obvious or easily noticeable in the first few tanks? No. Do I think the replacement is worth it? Yes, or I wouldn't have done it. I am a big believer in ... things were designed a way so ... keep it that way, however, there is always room for subtle improvements. Besides the part is NLA and one of my favorite past times is fabricating up parts for the bus that are NLA, so keep the discussion going...

Aaron &
Vicki - 78 Riviera
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part simply keeps the crankcase pressure from falling below whatever the outside airpressure is. A PCV valve kind of does the same thing by allowing more flow when the engine needs it and less at idle. If there is too much flow it goes out the air intake hose back to the air cleaner. For some reason Bosch chose not to use a PCV valve and went with a pressure regulator.

I thought that I could find another engine close to 2.0 with L-Jetronic FI and use their valve. Everything I looked at including Porsche was a variation of what we have and everything was NLA. The only thing I found close was that generic Mann-Hummel Provent valve.

My suspicion is that if the part was still available for the $15 it used to cost, the people who say ignore it would have new ones on their engines. Carbed engines can bow out now because you don't need it, you can just draft flow to the airbox or meter flow like the 914's did. I think we don't draft to the airbox because the oils would gum up the AFM.

Ray Greeenwood suggested using a metered hole for this but my concern is that at times the metering will not allow enough blowby to pass by and the engine will build up pressure internally.

The solution that I found easiest is to find good ones and set them aside for when the one I have fails. If they can't be come by then either make up diaphragms or use a provent.

I just wish someone would discover a box of them NOS and send me a few.
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just read all 4 pages of this excellent thread...I would like your opinions on my ghetto fix for blow by. Yes my engine needs rings, and a few other things, but I was thinking a slight negative crankcase pressure would slow the oil leaks, and it has.

I am running a Holly/Weber on an 1800cc engine and made my own intake manifold pressure regulator. It started like this...

The 1/8" hole in the sink washer allowed way to much vacuum into the case, so I added this door panel push pin...designed to fail closed. MacGyver look out!

Mixed up the magic JB weld...

and installed it in the reducer...

Ok.....so I am running this direct to the manifold, and I would guess I am pulling <1lb vac on the case...the oil cap has a mild suction, and I enriched my my idle mix a little, but no other issues have arisen...timing advance seems the same.

It doesn't seem to effect highway driving at all, but I will have to check my plugs in a day or two. I washed the engine, (which was still leaking) and drove her about 60 hwy miles today...normally she would be seeping, but now clean and dry. Even my valve cover leak has stopped!
It's odd not to see the three oil stained marks under the bus.

I am considering adding a PCV valve into the mix...would you have any suggestions? Ideas? Are there any long term problems with running a mild negative case pressure?

I am considering adding valve cover vents into the mix too....like busman78 has. He has a different setup, but this kit is similar.

http://www.jbugs.com/product/8544.html?Category_Code=159

Great thread!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: