Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil breather hose function?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomfreo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Oil breather hose function? Reply with quote

Was wondering what's inside the tin with the spring contained lid, the one which sits just above the fan and has a hose going to the top right side of the paper air filter, the oil breather hose. Could just break it open but was wondering what it's function is and what I might expect to find inside, whether there're any maintenance issues with it. Thanks. (1977 2L kombi)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=251133
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends if your bus came with FI or carbs. If it's FI the link Wildthings posted explains it all, if it's for carbs it has a spring loaded disc and internal baffles to control the oil. You can pop it off and clean it out with carb cleaner but don't try to dismantle it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomfreo wrote:
whether there're any maintenance issues with it.

Well, there is that trapezoid gasket that might leak, that costs 3 times the amount of a valve cover gasket, at 1/3 the size...but mainly it's a crankcase vent. You can adjust the bale in the same way you do a valve cover bale.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can pop it off and clean it out with carb cleaner but don't try to dismantle it.

only if you want to dissolve it. Carb cleaner is one thing that will eat the silicone rubber. Use stoddard solvent or mineral spirits. I destroyed one using spray carb cleaner and when I got another apart and sourced the rubber diaphragm - carb cleaners, acetone, lacquer thinner etc are things listed that eat it quickly.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:
You can pop it off and clean it out with carb cleaner but don't try to dismantle it.

only if you want to dissolve it. Carb cleaner is one thing that will eat the silicone rubber. Use stoddard solvent or mineral spirits. I destroyed one using spray carb cleaner and when I got another apart and sourced the rubber diaphragm - carb cleaners, acetone, lacquer thinner etc are things listed that eat it quickly.

busdaddy wrote:
Depends if your bus came with FI or carbs. If it's FI the link Wildthings posted explains it all, if it's for carbs it has a spring loaded disc and internal baffles to control the oil. You can pop it off and clean it out with carb cleaner but don't try to dismantle it.

The breather for carb busses is entirely different than a FI vacuum control valve, it's all steel except for a phenolic disc in the one way valve.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of breathers, does anyone have a source for a good quality 21mm breather hose yet? The part number is N0203491 . We got a 7/8 hose from NAPA but it ties to collapse. all the usual sources seem out.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shove a coil spring down inside it Wink

Слава Україні!
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
speaking of breathers, does anyone have a source for a good quality 21mm breather hose yet? The part number is N0203491 . We got a 7/8 hose from NAPA but it ties to collapse. all the usual sources seem out.

Try the Porsche people...just to end the derails... Wink

N0203491

I used pelican a lot when I had my 911S.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn - Thank You. I'll call them Monday. If they have the correct hose that is the best solution. Scott said he bought every last piece he could find even from Germany and he is even coming up empty handed now.

Mark - thank you - I considered a stainless coil spring as a last resort although your suggestion strengthens that as a possible solution. The NAPA hose is good hose - they just roll it from the factory in a way that helps collpase it. I even considered a slightly smaller hose inside it to help keep it open.
galexander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Pelican PArts is NLA too now.
Darn it.
Any body have any other suggestions on this breather hose.
it's 22mm or 7/8" id on each end.
approx 12" long

thanks
gary
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we found a solid breather vacuum hose from a local NAPA that was in inches but was very close. I don't have the measurements with me but I thik it is 7/8 breather line.
guanella74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Breather box replacement Reply with quote

There is NOTHING inside my little breather box - I have a carbed engine, and it seems that the oil that was ending up pooling on top of my carb and soaking my filter was just being pulled from the hose connected to it. Who sells a replacement unit, or is there an appropriate valve I can put inline in the hose that replicates the original function of the breather box?

1974 Westy CampMobile - the OG!
1979 Transporter
1979 Transporter
1977 Transporter
1974 Transporter
1973 Transporter
1971 Westy
Oil Phil-M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks have had success with stuffing a good quality copper pot scrubber in the cavity under the breather box then install the breather box as normal. It creates a multitude of surfaces to help drop the oil and water out of the vapour prior to it heading out the engine and over to the carbs. I utilize an external breather box and do the same pot scrubber trick in there prior to hosing it off to one of the air filters and it seems to work well.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know if the originals had some sort of screen or flametrap in the metal part of the breather.
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRC, Scott at GermanSsupply has the hose?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott shows out of stock. It isn't made any more. I just stumbled onto this in another thread. I also looked up the hose we used. Gates Premium heater hose 3/4". It is black heavy duty reinforced rubber. Here is that photo from the other thread

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The breather for a carburated engine is pretty simple, just a baffle. No screens or anything. The way to keep it from soaking your air cleaner is to plumb the blowby to the downstream side of the air cleaner. If you can do it dump it directly into the top of the carb.

The FI breather has a pressure regulating valve, but no gauze or screen, and dumps to the downstream side of the air cleaner.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you WildThings.
galexander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's what I did. Picked up some 7/8" 22mm ID Gates Vulco hose at Oreillys auto parts. Vulco hose is reinforced, made for fuel or vapors, it will not break down like heater hose due to the hi temps and the vapors passing thru it. It's mainly used for fuel filler necks and vapor lines.

I first tried to install as one piece of hose but at the bend it was kinking at the 90degree turn, so I cut it into 2 pieces one about 4" long the other about 10" long. I then had an old air cooled single port manifold and cut off about 4" with the hacksaw of one of intake runners which forms a 90degree turn.

The intake has an OD of 22mm, which provides a perfect fit for the 22mmID Vulco hose. Slipped the 2 pieces of hose on to the ends of the old manifold pipe, then on to the oil breather and finally onto the intake boot near the throttle body and presto!

Runs like a champ, plenty of room under there for the bit of extra hose and this should last another 31 years.

good luck!
gary
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: