Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Oval today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
seanboy69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: what did you do to your oval today? Reply with quote

Was installing a new battery an the wire from the alternator to the starter melted Shocked Shocked Shocked I pushed the old girl outta the garage to burn in the driveway......she didnt but now she is pissed at me Crying or Very sad
1962 baha
2276 in progress
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EA57RHD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: What did you do to your Oval today Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I took the car cover off, dusted her off, started her up, drove her out of the garage, and took the 57 for a little Sunday cruise this morning.

********WANTED********
Whittier Lee Wood VW dealer license plate frame
Sunroof53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Obscene Reply with quote

Its a good job i am not a moderator on here.Those pictures would be off in a second .I mean the humanity of it ,posting pictures of a gleaming RHD oval in glorious sunshine cruising down the highway with palm trees and a blue sky .This is November and a global forum you know ,there are people who wont even see there cars for months while we look at dark skys ,rain ,cold and snow Shame on you

Wink
EA57RHD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: What did you do to your Oval today Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing How foolish of me. I mean, how could I be so selfish, egotistical and self-centered. I am so embarrassed Embarassed to think that thesamba postings were exclusive to So Cal........NOT Exclamation

I laughed my ass off with you post Sunroof53 Laughing Forgive me, but that's how we roll in Southern California.....Ya gotta love it.
********WANTED********
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

used it as a table to fix a bus rack

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iaccy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mannys66 wrote:
used it as a table to fix a bus rack

ohh gheeez Crying or Very sad
'67 Beetle (sold) http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3289202#3289202
OG '63 Beetle http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=444566
sonicjagstang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing LMAO! at the last four posts. Actually when I viewed the pictures or the RHD HARDTOP Wink I was only thinking "Holy shit, that is a clean windshield!" OK, I may have been guilty of thinking it was a really nice car also.

Hmmm, an oval being used as a table.... I remember back when you just used to use it as a car starter/battery charger. LOL! You honestly deserve the award for most uses of an oval.

I love the fact that you are not afraid to use the car and have fun with it. Leave the (over restored trailer queen please don't breathe on my car shit) for the anal retards that forgot how to live simply and enjoy things.

Last edited by sonicjagstang on Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the weekend I painted the decklid (rattle-can special) and moved the tailights to their correct location -- just so I could get a better idea if I wanted to keep it black. Yep keeping him black!

BEFORE

AFTER
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EA57RHD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: What did you do to your Oval today Reply with quote

sonicjagstang wrote:
Quote:
LMAO! at the last four posts. Actually when I viewed the pictures or the RHD hardtop I was only thinking "Holy shit, that is a clean windshield!" OK, I may have been guilty of thinking it was a really nice car also.

Fixed it for ya. Wink
********WANTED********
Chick Iverson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my RHD for a spin today after I charged the almost dead battery. I have been driving my convertible lately because the weather has been perfect, but I needed to drive the hardtop

sonicjagstang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EA57RHD: Thanks for correcting me on that one. Wink I must have still been thinking of details from other cars I was browsing before returning to comment on this thread. I can CLEARLY see your car is a hardtop...... a very nice one with a very clean windshield. Laughing

I made a little progress on the dis-assembly of my 57. I found that in addition to being incredibly rusty it has had some horrible repairs done at some point. The car has sat since 1968 so anything that happened to the car happened prior to then.

The front has been hit, the inner fender sections are wrinkled a bit and the rear bumper mounting points had become so rusty that someone welded up some angle iron to remedy the problem. They also welded the lower rear fenders to the apron hoping for more strength I guess.

Also, some holes were patched by screwing sheet metal over them....better than more crappy welding I suppose. Another bad thing is the drivers rear quarter has been replaced and somewhat crudely spliced in. The car was originally Prairie Beige and it appears the car was wrecked when close to new and repaired then later on it was getting rusty so some crude repairs were made and it was then painted green.

The engine was replaced by exchange in 64 so this car has quite a history for certain.

[/img]
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all nice oval, step1 is always going over the rust/metal repair and figuring out where you stand, one section at a time. I've been trying to tell myself that with all the rust repair I have ahead of me. One section at a time, its just metal, make it pretty.

Second of all, great garage! Bar, TV, pool table! Man its gonna take you forever to finish this car lol. My guess is there's a fridge somewhere too. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flat screen tv no lees. Wink I love that car already.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slow6t5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonicjagstang wrote:
EA57RHD: Thanks for correcting me on that one. Wink I must have still been thinking of details from other cars I was browsing before returning to comment on this thread. I can CLEARLY see your car is a hardtop...... a very nice one with a very clean windshield. Laughing

I made a little progress on the dis-assembly of my 57. I found that in addition to being incredibly rusty it has had some horrible repairs done at some point. The car has sat since 1968 so anything that happened to the car happened prior to then.

The front has been hit, the inner fender sections are wrinkled a bit and the rear bumper mounting points had become so rusty that someone welded up some angle iron to remedy the problem. They also welded the lower rear fenders to the apron hoping for more strength I guess.

Also, some holes were patched by screwing sheet metal over them....better than more crappy welding I suppose. Another bad thing is the drivers rear quarter has been replaced and somewhat crudely spliced in. The car was originally Prairie Beige and it appears the car was wrecked when close to new and repaired then later on it was getting rusty so some crude repairs were made and it was then painted green.

The engine was replaced by exchange in 64 so this car has quite a history for certain.

Props to you for taking on that project! I looked at mine and it has barely any rust and I am still trying to figure out what to do first. Roof, fenders, aprons....What color, what interior, what engine. God I hate decisions.....
sonicjagstang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwing: Thanks for the compliments and you are correct in your way of thinking about the metal repair. I'll just have to tackle one issue at a time and it will slowly come together. As for the shop, it belongs to my friend Rennie. I am in the process of renting an old shop downtown that was built in the thirties so the car is at his house until that is lined out. You are correct about the shop having a fridge, it is just behind the bar to the left of the window. Laughing

mannys66: Laughing I am glad somebody loves it because personally I love the flat screen but am beginning to hate the car.

Slow6t5: You are very fortunate to have found such a project. The more I tore into mine the more sick I became. I knew it had issues when I bought it but I was hoping for a break somewhere... I suppose I got my wish because most of what I touched did "break". Laughing I understand where you are coming from concerning decisions also....uuugghhhhh!
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means, get the whole thing media blasted before you start metal work. See thebugshop.org if you haven't already.

You never know what you truly have until it is all stripped.....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the body shop to check progress, hopefully back by 1st of year.
picked up driver seat, being restitched, he said that "material 56 yrs old is just now getting broken in"
sonicjagstang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
By all means, get the whole thing media blasted before you start metal work. See thebugshop.org if you haven't already.

You never know what you truly have until it is all stripped.....

That is for certain good advice and something I know all too well. My father was by trade a sheet metal worker and in his off time he enjoyed restoring cars. Something he taught me early on was to rid the car of all rust before starting any repair to ensure a strong, clean foundation and because rust never sleeps.

This is not at all the first project I have tackled but it is my first beetle. I can assure you no work will begin until the car is fully dis-assembled and in bare metal. The comment I made and agreed on however to take it one part at a time is something I will and have always practiced as not to get overwhelmed with a project.

I will also be relying heavily on a couple of friends that are far better welders than I am. One in particular is an excellent fabricator and I will certainly be relying much on him. He is currently restoring a Cushman scooter and is replacing nearly half of the front fender as the owner did not want a reproduction fender and he also has to redo much of the lower frame.

I doubt I will have much of a car left once all of the rust is removed as it appears the rust is at this point just keeping the car together by holding hands. Laughing I could save a lot of time and money and go Baja. Sorry about that remark as it is not at all being considered.
oldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooked up the battery last night to give it life after who knows how long.
tferr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a full day in the shop ended by finding a broken light switch while trying to diagnose my lighting problem
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 58

Jump to: