Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any Original Owners out there
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete000, i bought a vw thing from a guy in new kingstown pa about 15 yrs ago. it belonged his son that got murderd over in hanover pa, geting cash at the atm. boy did i feel wierd about driving that one. the guy was in tears when we made the deal Crying or Very sad
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
offthewallace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original owner - purchased in May 1989. Daily driver / kid hauler for 11 years; garage queen / weekend trips after that. We've thought about selling it from time to time but no way...

1989 Wolfsburg
2212 WBX - Manual
willyb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: original owner Reply with quote

I am the original owner of a 1986 Wolfsburg Edition weekend camper(?)-no stove or sink; has closet,fridge and popup top. Bought it in Atlanta and have used it as a daily driver and for cross-country trips until a few years ago. Now it is used less often but still runs very well and gets around 20 mpg. I am planning on some longer trips in the near future once my wife retires.
I do have another vehicle that I bought new and still own/drive. It is a 1972 RS Camaro. It is still in near perfect condition-considering it age. I don't drive it as much as I should, but it has never let me down.
TooManyDubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Great topic--I am impressed with the number of original owners out there. I thought I had it good being a second owner.

I wish I was into these vans back when they were in the showrooms and on the lots. I would love to have seen them lined up when new, clean, and pristine. More pictures please!
isotopez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just found this thread and thought it was also a cool topic.

I myself am the offspring of the original owners who bought the westy new in 1984, followed by my birth in 1985 haha. I kind of hijacked the van by driving it so much in high school that I finally acquired "rights" to owning it hah!

I am now completely restoring the van to "as new as I can" condition and its fun to be doing this with my dad who just the other night pulled out the original window sticker from his folder and it blew my mind when I saw the $16,500 pricetag. too funny.

I love these vans and working on it with the ol' man is priceless, I cannot wait for him to see it when I get it painted all oem and it shines again like his pictures, but thats after I put in the subi motor Cool

I'm going to try to upload a scan of the sticker, its pretty mint lol
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad was the original owner of our adventurewagen. He bought it in Fort Bragg while he was still living on the east coast so we were nice enough ( Smile ) to "store" it for him until he moved out west. We had it for the abut the first 4 years and then I bought it from him about 4 years later. We probably put about 3/4 of the miles on it.
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another offspring of the original owners right here.

Itll be a family heirloom of sorts sometime.

No showroom floor pics, but I do have the original window sticker.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
masuda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the second Vanagon I've owned since new. The first '87 GL was trashed by my three kid's in as many years so we traded it in for this "last year for CA." 1990 WolfsBurg Carat. Don't know what it is about these vans but I still get the same buzz when I get in and drive it as I did 20 years ago when I bought it off of the showroom floor. It's better than new with a GW 2.4 motor, Custom geared 5 speed, Quaife TBDiff, Sways, Konis, Weitecs etc. etc. etc.[/img]
isotopez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice van sir! the lower fog lights are so $$$..
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I seem to fit in, I am also the offspring of the original owners of my 90 Syncro my parent bought brand new. My mother bought the van over the phone on a credit card, she wanted a Syncro with rubber floors for 17,000 one dealer was willing to sell it to her for her price she paid for it and called my father to pick it up when he got out of work.

Because I do work on my grandparents vans and am their voice on this site I will speak for them also. My grandparents are the original owners of both their Westfalias. They bought them and took delivery of them in Europe and toured in them. When they brought home the second Westfalia in 1987 they tried to sell either the brand new one or the 2 year old Westfalia with no buyers so they parked the 87 and drove the 85 until it blew a head gasket. Then the parked the 85 and drove the 87.

The 85 sat in their barn for 10 years when I attempted to do the head gasket job 5 or so years ago before finding this site and never got it to start up again. Now I picked up a great load of parts cheap and am going to attempted to get it and my 90 back on the road. The 85 was a daily driver and the 87 was also for a few years it is now just a vacation and spare vehicle.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
zigsbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought my 1987 Syncro Transport that year after my twins sons were born. I couldn't squeeze everyone in th e Rabbit anymore. It's still my daily driver... Z
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: