Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Deluxe Split Buses in the Undergrowth for 30 Years
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SKT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome find, and great pictures...thanks for sharing!
avery's air cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We hauled all of these cars out of their "resting spots" and they are all now in our indoor warehouse. There was 3 23 windows, one has already been sold (the pinkish 61 23 walk through that we had advertised here for sale) the others are all resting comfortably indoors after 30 years. We will post some current pictures of them soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iaccy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avery's air cooled wrote:
We hauled all of these cars out of their "resting spots" and they are all now in our indoor warehouse. There was 3 23 windows, one has already been sold (the pinkish 61 23 walk through that we had advertised here for sale) the others are all resting comfortably indoors after 30 years. We will post some current pictures of them soon.

so did you just take them? did anybody own the land they were on?
'67 Beetle (sold) http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3289202#3289202
OG '63 Beetle http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=444566
avery's air cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The county was requiring the owners of the land to remove all of the junk cars from their property which had been sitting for 30 years. Everything was going to be crushed. We saved all of the VWs that the crushers didn't get before we heard about it and brought them here. Some of the cars and buses are in pretty sad shape, but we at least wanted to salvage anything worth saving.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my 67 in the garage when I 1st brought it home. It stunk. All the rodents nests, acorns and mildew really smelled bad. Plus you could actually smell the rust. I'm betting that wherever the indoor storage is the cars are in smells very similar.

Good job on saving them. I know it's not easy to move a car that has dug itself into the earth. I hope at least one of them lives to move under it's own power someday. I know that's the day I am looking forward to. The day a rusted piece of shit (my 67) is fixed up enough that it moves under it's own power, and is no longer a rusted piece of shit.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake Martinez
The VW Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Deluxe Split Buses in the Undergrowth for 30 Years Reply with quote

avery's air cooled wrote:
We recently found several old VWs that had been parked since 1978 up off some logging road in the middle of nowhere Washington State. Although it was quite tragic to see what used to be such nice old VWs it was also very interesting to look at. As a VW enthusiast and photographer myself it was a treat to get to see. There were three deluxe split buses, two double-door early buses, a few bugs, type 3s and few other assorted VWs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've got the rest of the photos posted on our site here:
http://www.averysaircooled.com/shop/buses_in_the_woods.cfm

-The Avery's Web Guy
www.averysaircooled.com
looks lika '60
65 bug
67 standard

zombie wrote:
buslife wrote:

10 inch narrowed beam

Congrats, that's going to look like shit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
avery's air cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

September, 19 1960 23 window deluxe. Has seen better days. Sad
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
avery's air cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uzi - nice photo. Is that a bug next to the bus? Were you able to save them?
KombiMonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UZI- wheres the pic before the bushes were removed Shocked

*WANTED*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't find that bus, someone else did. it got cut up on site. it was back in the 80s and by the standards of the day, it was too far gone. now it would have been saved. i have the bus now and it is badly cut up. nothing is savable or useable. it has donated some small parts to other buses like the engine vents, front door handle indents, a roof reinforcement piece, mirror arm bolts. i have the bulkhead in my 53 and it was actually in it when i bought it!

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howd you get them out?
KombiMonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I had seen a pic of the bushes grown over before they were cut down... Confused Maybe I'm thinking of another bus....

*WANTED*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
avery's air cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had a few people ask for photos of the two 23 window Buses that we still have, so I went ahead and posted several photos on our site here:

http://www.averysaircooled.com/shop/23window_buses.cfm

They are both very rough. The one that was hit in the nose has a pretty nice roof section and there are some good parts on them, however they both have a lot of rot.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: