Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Accelerator cables
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Accelerator cables Reply with quote

The other day at the grocery store I saw a guy with a 68 pop top westy working on his engine in the parking lot. His accelerator cable had broken right at the end where it clamps into the barrel clamp. He was trying to shorten the cable to get some grip at teh barrel clamp just an inch shorter, but realized as soon as he started it that he was just making the engine run wide open. He decided to have it towed to his house, which was not far.

All I had was a 79 FI accelerator cable at home. I knew mine was different but I did not know just how long the various accelerator cables are supposed to be. Anyone know right off the top of their head how long the various accelerator cables are?

After I got home I realized I should have suggested that he just set the fast idle speed to about 1500-2000 RPM and using some careful shifting and driving he could have just limped it home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should have tried to pick up a throttle cable extender kit. That's what I had to do, since the cable my bus was using wasn't going to work after I swapped back to a Type 4 motor. We just cut the cable and shortened a bit, and used the kit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are different kinds, but above is an example.
tubdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when that happened to me i just used a piece of a wire coat hanger with another barrel clamp to extend the cable
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
All I had was a 79 FI accelerator cable at home. I knew mine was different but I did not know just how long the various accelerator cables are supposed to be. Anyone know right off the top of their head how long the various accelerator cables are?

info found on Wolfsburg West's website:

211721555D ACCELERATOR CABLE, 1968-1969 (1969 Bus through chassis # 219060788) Bus

211721555G ACCELERATOR CABLE, 1969 (1969 Bus, starting at chassis # 219060789) -1971 Bus

211721555J ACCELERATOR CABLE, 1972 Bus, Standard transmission only.

211721555T ACCELERATOR CABLE, 1973-1974 (1974 Bus without California emissions), standard transmission

211721555N ACCELERATOR CABLE, 1974 Bus (1974 Bus withCalifornia emissions only!!), Standard transmission only.

211721555AA ACCELERATOR CABLE, 1975-1979 Bus, Standard Transmission only

211723555 ACCELERATOR CABLE, 1975-1979 automatic Buses
(no length given)
fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running a custom throttle cable in my bus for a year or two now, and it carries its own spare by being too long. D loop and a key ring through the pivot on the pedal, and just clamped as normal in the engine bay. I just happened to have these on me when my cable snapped the first time and my replacement was stilll in the mail. I actually don't think it ever arrived. Murphy was listening when I ordered a clutch and throttle cable, just as spares, cutting the throttle cable 2 days later. 1/8 braided cable from ACE at .08 a foot.

FORSALE: Thrust cut T4 and 1.9 main bearings
obnoxiousblue wrote:
Maybe Ben Pon's ghost comes and vomits NOS stampings for your bus, but not mine!
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank Jon!

I will make a note of the lenghts in my Bentley. Someday that will come up again.

I knew my spare would not work, but that is not even close.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I piece of solid 8-10 gauge copper wire and a couple of tiny Crosby style cable clamps will make a fine extension/repair piece and can be had at most any hardware store.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Accelerator cables Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
After I got home I realized I should have suggested that he just set the fast idle speed to about 1500-2000 RPM and using some careful shifting and driving he could have just limped it home.

I would have pulled the broken cable out from the fan housing under the bus, straightened out a coat hanger to stick through the fan housing and put the hanger through the throttle lever barrel clamp then matched up the cable end and the accelerator cable under the bus where there is all that room and visegripped the mess to get home.
ColinAdventures-R-Us Very Happy
train99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empi sells a longer universal cable that you cut down to size. Goes all the way to the rear bumper. I have one under the seat in my bus. I know it will be long enough. The cable has two types of connectors on it so you cut off the connector that doesn't match the one on your bus and start threading it in.

About $10.00

I don't know how well the adapter on the carb end will hold up, but I don't have a choice because the stock 3458 cable was too short for the weber progressive, and I didn't know what length to order. I needed 3.5 inches longer than the stock '75 cable.
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
211723555 ACCELERATOR CABLE, 1975-1979 automatic Buses
(no length given)

I have one of these I haven't installed yet. The sticker on it says 2870mm.

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
I suppose that's what happens when one drives a passion wagon, which comes factory-fitted with a double bed.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine snapped on Thanksgiving Day. Had it towed to the shop and they fixed it the next day. Looks like it snapped about 2 feet behind the engine. Bummer.
foxtail1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My heater cable broke, but was lucky it was far enough ahead of where it cam out of the tube. I found a electric wire slicer the right size that would just fit over the wire. Cleaned the ends of both wires and worked some JB Weld in the splicer poked in the wire and crimped the splicer. That has been almost 2 years and still working. I did the same thing to my throttle cable till I had enough time to replace it.

One of the things I did was to cut the plastic back to the medal tube.

64 bug
64 bus
59 ghia
71 bus
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: