Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Memory foam on top of the bed (westy/bottom).
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crughy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Memory foam on top of the bed (westy/bottom). Reply with quote

Hi all,

I don't sleep well in the westy. I sleep mostly in the bottom bed (stealth, gear on top, ease, etc.).

I am going to buy some memory foam. I looked a bit into it. There are tons of products/brands, etc.
You can get, 2, 4 , 6 or 8 inches of width, all kind of sandwiches...

I was thinking of getting something like 4' deep at the max. It seems like the best compromise for ease of storage. I read in the archives, a guy cut it in 3 so he could easily store it in different place of the van.

The mattress never comes in the right size (I think the westy bed is 48x75). So it would need to be cut a bit. Or I may go with a slightly smaller than original if it's close.

My question is the following. There are many brands and products. many prices. the quality of the stuff varies a lot.

Do you have any recommendation for a specific product/brand/shop/big retail chain?
Bad or good stories of the stuff?

I will be in Orlando, FL in a week or so.

JP
VwMomofthree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Mattress topper Reply with quote

I did just that, I bought a queen size mattress topper-memory foam from Walmart. I had to cut the end off to make fit right, I used a serrated edge knife and this cut it really easy. I didn't cut very much, then I cut in thirds to fit in the back to carry along. It comes with a zip on/off cover that I thought about sewing a seam between the thirds but I haven't gotten there yet. I think I paid $120.00ish. Works great and I sleep like a baby. Oh yeh, I have a 88 wolfsburg weekender.
kshbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 2" foam pad and it makes quite a difference in how well I sleep. It is a bit bulky to transport though.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2" memory foam from Bed Bad & Beyond. Stock size, I didn't cut anything, slightly wider than lower bed but it does not interfere with rear cabinet door or anything. It folds up easily in rear cargo area under everything else. I don't always carry it with me. It also doubles as memory foam on top of guest sofa bed at home.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 2" mattress topper from overstock.com and it works great. Be sure to get the 4 pound density or it'll be kinda squishy. 4 pound density is supportive but not super firm.

Check the sizes because I think they all cost the same. I think I ordered a queen and used the extra foam for other stuff. Free shipping, too. They compress the foam for shipping so be sure when you open the box to just let the foam uncompress by itself for an hour or you'll tweak it. I think I got the Serta 4 pound density version.

I removed the OEM foam from the upper bunk covers and put the memory foam in instead. Use the old foam for a pattern. Now I just leave it up in my top bunk and pull it down for sleeping when I need it. The upper bed and the lower bed are the same size, believe it or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Julian13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting timing on this question as I looked into the same thing last week. As I find the ergo moulding of the EV MV rear seat is not as comfortable as a flat surface. The GoWesty topper looks nice but the cost of shipping makes it uncompetative with something I can get locally.

The Foamshop does the same thing for RVs. I came down on the side of 4" and 4 lb foam but was unsure whether to order a single piece and fold it or cut across into 3 pieces with a seam in the cover between each to make folding easier (as GoWesty do).

The shop manager said it wouldn't be necessary at that weight as it would fold over ok and not cause any degrading of the memroy foam by doing so. I have to say that I am dubious about that and am still leaning toward the 3 piece.
Belladonna30c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:
I got a 2" mattress topper from overstock.com and it works great. Be sure to get the 4 pound density or it'll be kinda squishy. 4 pound density is supportive but not super firm.

Check the sizes because I think they all cost the same. I think I ordered a queen and used the extra foam for other stuff. Free shipping, too. They compress the foam for shipping so be sure when you open the box to just let the foam uncompress by itself for an hour or you'll tweak it. I think I got the Serta 4 pound density version.

Hi. I did the same. Ordered from Overstock..the biggest size at the same price. cut to fit and used the extra foam for my dog's crates.

Also, check out this discussion here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...p;start=40

I quote myself from that discussion:

"I think I got mine for around $90...no need for any special covers for the foam, like GoWesty sells. You can just throw a light blanket or sheet over it before making up your bed...however you sleep! When the lower bed is not in use, I just fold it up and keep it in the rear cargo area. Yes, it takes up a bit of space, but it is worth it to me.

My neighbors bought one for their upper bunk hoping that it would replace the OG foam. That did not work out for them. You really need the density of the OG foam for support + the memory foam topper for comfort. I have no idea what size you could easily keep up top on a permanent basis. Worst case scenario, you could roll it up tightly and store below in a duffle bag until ready to use.

One more thing about memory foam...all brands are not created equally. There are different qualities/grades of foam. Do your research for a product that will last and suit your needs. Here are some sites that might be helpful to you!

http://www.healthyfoundations.com/memoryfoammattress.html

http://www.memoryfoam.com/v/memory_foam_toppers/memory_foam_density.htm"

"A picture is worth a 1,000 words..."

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
WW_Victoria
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Vancouver Island I bought one at Jysk -
http://www.jysk.ca/ProductDetails.aspx?id=10392&prodid=8006034
this one is similar I think - mine was maybe $20-30 cheaper on sale in the early fall. As mentioned - quick trim with a utility knife to make it fit upstairs - and the sleep is much improved.

WW

past rides...
1972 Westfalia
1974 Bus - RIP
1969 auto stick beetle - The "Dolphin" bug
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the cheapest memory foam sold at walmart, I think it was two inches thick. Actually bought two of them as well as a padded matress cover to go over them. The cover keeps them in place while camping,and makes folding them up into the back easy. Also I bought a heated matress pad for between the foam and cover. The heated pad is a twin size, really toasty while it's cool outside.

The lady at the fabric store gave me a tip on cutting foam. Use an electric knife for perfectly cut sides, and it works!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to Target for the $60 one for our Baja trip. Will report on how it works.
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just switched over from a 1.5" premium memory foam from Walmart to a quality 2" egg crate foam from a foam shop.

After about 45+ nights on the memory foam I found it firmer than I liked. On those cooler nights below 45 it was cold and firm to lay on at first. Then after my body heat warmed it up I'd find myself in a hole and it didn't feel like I was sleeping on a flat mattress.

I think the egg crate that I got is in the low 20 pound density range. It's definitely has more of springy or cushy feel to it.

Both purchases were Full size toppers and I used an electric knife to get them to fit.

Steve
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costco has nice ones for about a 100 bucks, much better quality and more comfy. I have ben just rolling mine up, but need to get arround to making a cover for it and cutting so it will fold up and fit in the back.
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeftySmurf wrote:
Costco has nice ones for about a 100 bucks, much better quality and more comfy. I have ben just rolling mine up, but need to get arround to making a cover for it and cutting so it will fold up and fit in the back.

Hmmm....headed to costco for some new BTG ATs....(best price I could find...$109 each plus $7.50 mount/balance for the 215 75 R15,,,FWIW)

Guess I'll look into the memory foam as well! Thanks for the info.
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoWesty is making a 2" topper with cover for $200, their ad says it folds easily, no seams.

For an extra 100, they make one with combined 1 inch foam and 2 inche memory for a total 3 inch thickness, in folding zippered sections.

and for the upper bunk they offer 1" memory foam, covered and foldable, no sections.

Im interested in the thickness of the various offerings.. it seems from reading, that one piece, foldable 2" is a good way to go.
WW_Victoria
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is 2 inch memory foam - folded in thirds it fits in the upper bunk no problem with the top down. Nice place to store it as well - however, I also have a pillow catcher and that no longer fits on the upper bunk.

past rides...
1972 Westfalia
1974 Bus - RIP
1969 auto stick beetle - The "Dolphin" bug
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WW_Victoria wrote:
mine is 2 inch memory foam - folded in thirds it fits in the upper bunk no problem with the top down. Nice place to store it as well - however, I also have a pillow catcher and that no longer fits on the upper bunk.

So if I understand this correctly you end up with a 6 inch thick stack of memory foam that is compressed by the top when you lower it? Thanks.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sc-surfer wrote:
HeftySmurf wrote:

Hmmm....headed to costco for some new BTG ATs....(best price I could find...$109 each plus $7.50 mount/balance for the 215 75 R15,,,FWIW)

I though COstco wouldnt mount tires that were not stock?
torocreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
2" memory foam from Bed Bad & Beyond. Stock size, I didn't cut anything, slightly wider than lower bed but it does not interfere with rear cabinet door or anything. It folds up easily in rear cargo area under everything else. I don't always carry it with me. It also doubles as memory foam on top of guest sofa bed at home.

You can also buy a full size futon mattress cover to protect your memory foam.

They are the perfect size, have zippers, and are made out of a real durable fabric.

I then roll it up and stuff it into a draw string bag I bought at REI.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raynor Shine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poke around at bed bath & beyond too, I scored high end upper and lower for less than 100 each. cut to size with covers. My wife has a nice 4" lower cushion. I got kicked to the upper this summer so only 1 1/2 inch up there folded in 3rds. Lid closes nice.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeftySmurf wrote:
sc-surfer wrote:
HeftySmurf wrote:

I though COstco wouldnt mount tires that were not stock?

They won't mount wheels in your car but they will sell you tires and mount/balance them in the wheels. Then you can mount them in the car yourself.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: