Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Evwparts Thermostat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Wildthings"]
webwalker wrote:

For all we know the manufacturer is making a few of these from time to time, just keeping the supply restricted.

I recently spoke to the UK rep for Wahler. They are no longer making any and have no plans to in the future as 'they no longer have the tooling'

As for keeping the supply restricted, the conversation I had was more of a case of there is ZERO demand for them. They sell a few from time to time. Considering this is the OEM supplier to VAG and a lot of other manufacturers, they churn out tens of thousands of thermostats in the blink of an eye. sending a dozen to small time aircooled supplier every couple of years is not even a low priority especially since the mexi wax thermostat is the 'official' VAG part.

I was sourcing one quite recently and rang all over and found I was hunting for one only 2 weeks after they became NLA. there were 2 in the UK VW dealerships. 2, and they were 500 miles away too! I spoke to a local vw parts place and they hadn't had one for 5 years as no one wanted them, another place was the same thing but 7 years.

You may want one, but the reason they are hard to get, and why they stopped making them is that they are not in great demand and they haven't done a production run for several years because they didn't need to. they have since run out of stock.

get a working one at a swap meet. I picked up 2 fully functional ones for £5 each
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an excerpt from an email confirmation I got from the guy

Quote:
Wahler were the original manufacture of this type of thermostat (111 119 159A) but unfortunately there do not have the tooling to make this part anymore, but I have told their Product Manager they should start to look into these (old time)”sorry” vehicles – i.e. classic car / fanatical market as the person that has these types of vehicles want the original parts that were fitted to the vehicle on the production line, my contact will bring this matter up in his next product meeting with the owner of the company.

With regards to your Pierburg fuel pump (113 127 025DR or 025G) it's unfortunately the same story as the thermostat, Pierburg were the original manufacture but no longer have the tooling and have no plans to start producing this part again, I have already told them about this problem two years ago as some of our customers have asked for the same part
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: eVWParts thermostat Reply with quote

Just some FYI's. From one of our oldest knowledgeable suppliers.
The Wahler thermostat factory in Germany had burned down many years ago and they would not rebuild it without an order for 1 million units. No importer saw the demand so no one stepped up to purchasing them.

We have genuine VW Wahler thermostats. They do fit exactly and work fine
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: eVWParts thermostat Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

if it's got the wrong opening temp, then...

"work fine", but not as the engineers at VW intended. "work fine", but not the specified part. fine is sales talk for close enough...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TreeHugger63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a two 2000cc type 4s. Where is it located and what does it control? The flap in the air filter box? one of mine doesn't even have that flap stuff and I've nevr cracked open the other yet. How can you tell if its functional-- ohm meter test?

Those two pics look different on top. Is one the 'works fine' one and the other the OG?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks, TH

***Ignorance is curable - Stupidity is forever***

maximan1 wrote:
Ever heard the saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a dig throught all my stuff and came up with 6 of them for type1 I need 5 so that give's me 1 spare. man when I went to buy one Shocked that made me do a hunt that lasted a week with all the stuff I got around here.
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the one with the long internally threaded end is for a type 1, the one with the short externally threaded end is for a type 4
TreeHugger63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marv [UK] wrote:
the one with the long internally threaded end is for a type 1, the one with the short externally threaded end is for a type 4

Thanks marv,

I bet those rockets you build on Mars are far more complicated than a type 4. If I run into bugs I'll smack him on the head for ya and get your ignitor back, ok. Waskily wabbit!

How about the rest of my ignorant question?

L8tr, TH

PS: I'm watching the Grinch on my Dish DVR right now, I'll say hi for ya.

maximan1 wrote:
Ever heard the saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"?
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TreeHugger63 wrote:
Marv [UK] wrote:

Thanks marv,

I bet those rockets you build on Mars are far more complicated than a type 4. If I run into bugs I'll smack him on the head for ya and get your ignitor back, ok. Waskily wabbit!

How about the rest of my ignorant question?

L8tr, TH

PS: I'm watching the Grinch on my Dish DVR right now, I'll say hi for ya.

they go underneath the pushrod tubes and control the cooling air flaps.

Type 4 ancilliaries are like swahili to me, a mystery yet to be solved as they are like rocking horse poo in the UK so www.ratwell.com should be your first port of call for questions like this. It's all in there Smile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really need the flaps installed in a type 4 even if you don't have a thermostat yet.

Marv [UK] wrote:

Usually, but clean it up and read the operating temp to confirm the application, the long adaptor is threaded onto some type 1 thermostats and if it came off with the rod it'll look just like a type 4 unit.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Peter Nuckolls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: thermostat Reply with quote

I just wanted to let jackstar know that, on the advice of bus daddy, I bought and just received the thermostat, cable and bracket from evwparts. Too cold to work in the garage, however. Please let us know how your install goes.
TreeHugger63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marv [UK] wrote:
they go underneath the pushrod tubes and control the cooling air flaps.

Type 4 ancilliaries are like swahili to me, a mystery yet to be solved as they are like rocking horse poo in the UK so www.ratwell.com should be your first port of call for questions like this. It's all in there Smile

I can relate to the swahili and all that greek too. Thanks for the info, I'll look there and there too.

TH

maximan1 wrote:
TreeHugger63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

You really need the flaps installed in a type 4 even if you don't have a thermostat yet.

You always have the cool pics busdaddy. And the 411. I know the 77 has the plastic vacuum/air filter stuff but, did the 72? These flaps are a part of the vacuum and air filter stuff right? Or are they internal and and I'm even more ignorant. Like I said to Marv -- a lot of this is greek to me. Sometimes I feel I need a white cane before I go poking around under there. I read here and ratwell and itinerant most of the day and all night. I'm learning alot but I'm still in the dark on a lot of things.

When I pulled the 1700 and put in the 2000 on the 72 neither had any air stuff hooked up or in place. It had a weber when I got it and I swapped it out. It ran great til the battery fell over and melted all the wires to the engine. I have never had a temp gauge so I don't know if it ran hot or not, or if it has a thermostat in either. I recycled the 1700. I didn't know enough to scavange it first. Probably threw away some real good parts.

Thanks, TH

maximan1 wrote:
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to do with the aircleaner, I'm referring to the thermostat flaps in the shroud that the thermostat this thread discusses controls. Here's the flaps in a type 4 (any year), Found in the gallery and originally posted by Dwill.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres what I came up with from a week of digging in my stuff now up to 7. I need 5 right now for jobs. the one that looks like it's for a type 4 is just misssing its top it's for a type 1. Till this one I didn't know that the top came off. I don't know if thay are all like that but this one is. with all the engines I have been rebuilding lately I had to come up with all the parts for this system. It seems like people think this is just spare stuff and they throw it away now I have to put it back.

TreeHugger63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Nothing to do with the aircleaner, I'm referring to the thermostat flaps in the shroud that the thermostat this thread discusses controls. Here's the flaps in a type 4 (any year), Found in the gallery and originally posted by Dwill.

So internally. Its alot to take in. I have never had the tin off one or tore into a bus engine or shroud. Thats what I was saying that is all new to me never seen the engine insides except in pictures. I have been thinking about rebuilding my 72's 2000 just to learn hands on. My friend has rebuilt detroits finest but, never a VW. But, with his guidance and the bentley and the ratwell and such, I think it would be good for me to get more familiar with the guts of one. I have been reading about stands vs bench mounts and pricing stands and rebuild kits like the Raby stuff. I'll pull out the bentley and read up on those flaps now that I know where they are. Thanks busdaddy.

TH

maximan1 wrote:
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct ones will out live you and keep your heads cool.

Last edited by Hoody on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year!
vw76westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected]
Quote:

Its comments like this that let people know just how trust worthy A business is

You should disclose that the thermostats you have open at 65-70degree
& that type 4 is suppose to have a opening temp of 85-90 degree
Then let the customer decide if it works fine or not

Personally, I think that unless you’re driving around where the ambient temp
Is bellow 45 degree regularly, the 65-70 thermostat is pointless to have?
If the temp is bellow 45 then a type-1 thermostat is better than nothing
this is just my opinion....

dansvans
Quote:

"work fine", but not as the engineers at VW intended. "work fine", but not the specified part. fine is sales talk for close enough...

X2

quote from bay window bus buyers guide........
The Type 4 engine is considered by many to be VW's finest air-cooled motor,
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw76westy wrote:
[email protected]
Quote:

Its comments like this that let people know just how trust worthy A business is

You should disclose that the thermostats you have open at 65-70degree
& that type 4 is suppose to have a opening temp of 85-90 degree
Then let the customer decide if it works fine or not

Personally, I think that unless you’re driving around where the ambient temp
Is bellow 45 degree regularly, the 65-70 thermostat is pointless to have?
If the temp is bellow 45 then a type-1 thermostat is better than nothing
this is just my opinion....

dansvans
Quote:

X2

Just to clarify: the thermostat is in celsius. when you say 45 ambient are you speeking in celsius or fahrenheit? if you are in celsius thats pretty dam hot. Shocked I live where it is 45F and below alot and I don't find it "pointless" to not have a thermostst at all. IF you didn't have one your engine would never warm up. but coming from someone who doesn't live where it cold I guess I should exspect that type of comment. I will say the temp of a thermostat should be posted thay are on other type's when you buy them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: