Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shoebox Electronix battery saver!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Shoebox Electronix battery saver! Reply with quote

As a post script to tearing out that annoying buzzer connected to the switch in the door jam when the key is left in the ignition, I decided it made better sense to install a buzzer when the headlights are left on. I ordered the Shoebox Electronix Battery Saver from Van-Cafe. The directions to install are very straight forward even for a electric wiring newbie like myself. As bonus, the unit automatically turns off the headlights when the ignition is turned off, leaving the parking lights on however. I had a small issue that turned out to be my fault but Jim at Shoebox provided excellent support. This is one 30 minute upgrade that was well worth it.

PS why did VW wire in the key buzzer when you can't lock the driver's side door without the key anyway? Seems like they should have provided a headlight buzzer instead.
Spinal Tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Shoebox Electronix battery saver! Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
As bonus, the unit automatically turns off the headlights when the ignition is turned off, leaving the parking lights on however.

Odd. My '85 Westy turns off the headlights, leaving the parking lights on, if I turn the ignition off. I thought this was standard. Is it not standard on some years/models?

Cheers

RCB wrote:
Its called tact...and tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a manner that they anticipate the trip.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both this '91 and our '85 did not as a stock configuration. That is unless both PO's changed it. I can't imagine disabling this feature however. It way more valuable than the stock warning sound when the key is left in the ignition IMO.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a stock function built into the ignition switch for all years. The front headlight bulbs only get power when the key is on. The running lights have power available all the time.

Mark

singler3360 wrote:
Both this '91 and our '85 did not as a stock configuration. That is unless both PO's changed it. I can't imagine disabling this feature however. It way more valuable than the stock warning sound when the key is left in the ignition IMO.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '85 was bone stock when I bought it and the headlights would automatically shut off with the ignition. It's a built in feature to prevent major battery drain.

I have, however, left my marker lights on over night and found a low battery the next morning. That's what prompted me a couple years ago to replace my external bulbs with LEDs. After that I discovered the Shoebox headlight reminder at Van-Cafe and installed that. It's a simple feature that works well. I still sometimes forget and it reminds me.

BTW - While it says it only works for 86-91, this is not accurate. Somewhere in the instructions it says to connect to 86b on the relay (or something like that), but there is no 86b on the 85's and earlier. You simply connect to 86 and it works fine. IIRC there may be two wires to the same connection, but test the connections and you'll figure it out. Just a heads up. I've had it for over two years now with no issues.
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, that reminds me....I've drained my battery twice by leaving the lights on - only since doing the relay/SA grill. Must have missed something in the relay wiring. Definitely would prefer power to be killed over the buzzer.
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pull the key in an OEM VW and the parking lights will stay on.

And if you're like me, you forget to turn them off and come back 9 hours later to find a DOA bus.

Jumper cables are definitely in da' bus.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too installed the "hey bonehead, you left the headlights on" reminder buzzer from Shoebox Electronics, ordered from Van Cafe.

This was my very first 12 volt wiring project. I found it confusing, as the directions for the relay connections did not completely match the relay I found on my '86 van.

I called Van Cafe for support, and they gave me the direct email of the guy who invented it. He offered me great email support, and I managed to get it installed with a minor work around (solder instead of a tap splice, if I recall.)

Overall, a simple and effective modification that I recommend.

Amusing epilogue: I had the van at the local shop for a headlight repair. I got a curious call at home from the mechanic saying, "WTF is this circuit board on the headlight switch?!" Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same situation here. In my '91, I had to solder one of the wires directly to the #58R terminal because I couldn't find a quick connector small enough to fit the hole in the plastic retainer thing that fits behind the switch. At first I spliced into the wire coming from the #58 terminal, as per the alternative directions included with the kit, but got some strange noise when the switch was in the off position. Jim offered to replace my board, but the soldering works for me so I don't think I'll bother.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:

BTW - While it says it only works for 86-91, this is not accurate. Somewhere in the instructions it says to connect to 86b on the relay (or something like that), but there is no 86b on the 85's and earlier. You simply connect to 86 and it works fine. IIRC there may be two wires to the same connection, but test the connections and you'll figure it out. Just a heads up. I've had it for over two years now with no issues.

Good to know Eric. Maybe I'll put something like that in my '81.

I have gone through 2 bouts of leaving the parking lights on recently. My poor battery. Got drained to like 2% or something crazy low. Surprised it still holds a charge.

Was thinking of installing a buzzer or flashing LED as a reminder to shut off my lights.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're up to a little wiring work, this thread has my mods for the head/park lighting circuits to make them go off when key is off, and to take the headlight load off the switch:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217078&highlight=headlight

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
Same situation here. In my '91, I had to solder one of the wires directly to the #58R terminal because I couldn't find a quick connector small enough to fit the hole in the plastic retainer thing that fits behind the switch. At first I spliced into the wire coming from the #58 terminal, as per the alternative directions included with the kit, but got some strange noise when the switch was in the off position. Jim offered to replace my board, but the soldering works for me so I don't think I'll bother.

Recently, I pulled the dash out of my van and this solder point was a pain. I found a female spade connector, but it's difficult to jam the connector into the hole directly opposite the #58R terminal. Anyone else find a solution to this?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: