Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternative Transmission for Vanagon?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintagemotion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel bellhousing Reply with quote

Kaiser Soze wrote:
vintagemotion wrote:
Is the Vanagon Diesel Bell housing used on any other VW / Audio Transmission like rabbit etc.?

Thats enough-------- The "search" would have answered every question on this topic.
Go buy a Bentley. Rolling Eyes

You may have not understood my question that was not regarding the bolt pattern on the diesel engine! The question is about the fitment of bell housing to transmission.
CLK Wheels 215/70/16
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search...h_forum=20
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel bellhousing Reply with quote

vintagemotion wrote:
Is the Vanagon Diesel Bell housing used on any other VW / Audio Transmission like rabbit etc.?

The vanagon diesel bellhousing is unique to the diesel Vanagon only. Assuming you can flip the ring gear internally in the quantum/audi transaxle and can fabricate mounts and adapt the linkage, you could make one work. I have a TDI Vanagon, and looked into my alternatives. Using a porsche G50 seemed like the best solution. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2301589 When I considered the amount of fabrication required, I had Daryl build me a new Vanagon transmission with the Ring and Pinion I needed along with the upgrades. Even it needed some fabrication to fit my earlier body, including all replacement shift linkage from a later vanagon and a custom transmission bracket. Very satisfied with the results. Regards
vintagemotion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers. I had hoped to be able to use at least the bell housing from another more accessible VW. Rotating the ring and pinion may involve to much intricate adjustment compared to having the rebuild done.
Interesting would still be to explore if components of other non vanagon transmissions are identical. For example the rather costly gear sets for different ratios.
CLK Wheels 215/70/16
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: