Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I painted my Convertible top's boot
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: I painted my Convertible top's boot Reply with quote

Here's some "after" photos, now the boot cover is tan instead of the dirty white it was for 29 years, and did show its age with scuffs, etc.
I used DupliColor Vinyl & Fabric paint, tan color, used 1 and 1/2 aerosol cans, purchased at O'Reillys/Checker/Schuck/Kragen for $6.50 each.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adam Corzatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. I'd be interested to find out how that paint holds up over time/wear and tear. Do you know anyone who's used it before that made you choose that brand? Think
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Corzatt wrote:
Looks good. I'd be interested to find out how that paint holds up over time/wear and tear. Do you know anyone who's used it before that made you choose that brand? Think

I used the same DupliColor Vinyl & Fabric paint about 10 years ago to paint a gray vinyl jacuzzi cover tan, and it worked good. So that's why I stayed with that brand. The can states to use on seats, dashboards, etc, so I figured if it works with seats, where someone will rub it, and sit on it and flex it, that it was worth the try. I read a post here on convertible boots and I think one must install their own snaps; see http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_keywords=Convertible+Top+Boot+-+Snap+Installation&search_forum=3.

Rustoleum also has fabric and vinyl paint, saw it at AutoZone, have never used that.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
JEER42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the same paint on my headliner. Turned out great.
kimbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JEER42 wrote:

Jeer42 ...... How did you protect from over-spray? Must have been tape and paint's plastic everywhere. Did you give any thought to rolling paint on?

Grandpa Bill
JEER42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimbill wrote:
JEER42 wrote:

Jeer42 ...... How did you protect from over-spray? Must have been tape and paint's plastic everywhere. Did you give any thought to rolling paint on?

Grandpa Bill
I used painter's tape and automotive masking paper. I opened the doors and removed the pop outs for ventilation. The overspray was minimal. As far as rolling it on, I have not seen vinyl paint you can roll on. The spray paint looks very even and smooth whn sprayed. I used the flat black one. When I get a chance I will post a picture.
toyvergnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not look like you have your top folded correctly for the boot to fit. he boot looks to be riding a little high. You might want to check out the owners manual for the correct folding pattern. Here is one from 1972.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/72bug/72T1-47.jpg
Actually the earlier manuals say 61 show the procedure a little more clearly.
Folding the top correctly an using the boot which obviously you do prevent premature wear marks.
I have used Vinyl and fabric dyes by both duplicolor and SEM for various interior pieces never a top. Nice job!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toyvergnugen wrote:
It does not look like you have your top folded correctly for the boot to fit. The boot looks to be riding a little high. You might want to check out the owners manual for the correct folding pattern. Here is one from 1972.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/72bug/72T1-47.jpg
Actually the earlier manuals say 61 show the procedure a little more clearly. Folding the top correctly an using the boot which obviously you do prevent premature wear marks.
I have used Vinyl and fabric dyes by both duplicolor and SEM for various interior pieces never a top. Nice job!

Yes, I intentionally don't fold the top down correctly until it snaps into place. Because if I do that, the boot cover physically rests on the top of the hood, because of those hood standoffs. I have the hood standoffs because I live in Arizona and have an 1835cc engine, and decades ago I traded my bottom-dented original hood with 4 louvres for an undented sedan hood with 2 louvres (the guy was making his into a Baja bug anyway). Besides, it's still hard to see a low vehicle directly behind even when I did snap the top all the way down.

Would I get sufficient cooling if I removed the hood standoffs? That's anybody's guess, maybe and maybe not. My guess is yes because I don't drive that engine long highway distances to California, etc. any more. However, VW went to 4 louvres on 70 Convertibles with 1600 SP, so apparently they felt there needed to be more air than with 2 louvres. The 1835cc DP engine does not have a doghouse shroud (it's based on a 1600 SP, with 1970 fan shroud) but has a mid-1970s external oil cooler on the far side of the fan shroud.
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Cool I would be interested in how it holds up over time
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Would I get sufficient cooling if I removed the hood standoffs? That's anybody's guess, maybe and maybe not.

The other issue you're dealing with is that the convertibles don't have the louvers under the back window, so you're already dealing with that loss of air. Combined with fewer slots in the deck lid I'd be a little concerned about cooling.

BTW, the boot looks good!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnussbau wrote:
The other issue you're dealing with is that the convertibles don't have the louvers under the back window, so you're already dealing with that loss of air. Combined with fewer slots in the deck lid I'd be a little concerned about cooling.

Correct; and my 1970 sedan's engine hood is also two-louvre, so I can't just swap those. Besides, I'm getting surface rust-through on that, washed it too many times from 1972-1993....
74Pepper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks great - the perfect color, I think.

I have some bad stains on my top, but it's in otherwise good shape. I think this has given me the courage to try to cover the stains.

Thanks for the photos and info, Cusser!
Per Gary, A.K.A. "Purple dress girl")
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: