Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Updating early model car with late model master cylinder
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crowfive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always do this, which is what I did on my 59 when I switched it to a dual circuit master. Similar to the Volvo way, but this is using all VW parts and it's really clean looking.

Get this reservoir:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D211%2D611%2D313%2DJ

and this hose:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D211%2D611%2D805%2DF

then just put a compression fitting on the hardline that comes out of the stock reservoir with another brass fitting with a hose barb for the hose going to the bus reservoir on the master cylinder. This lets you keep the stock reservoir and still run the dual circuit brake system.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys who think that dual circuit master will save you if one circuit fails are FUNNY! You obviously have never had a massive failure.

I have news for you, if one circuit fails, the pedal is going to the floor! Been there, done that. Found out why they stopped calling it an “emergency brake” and started calling it a parking brake too. Because when the main line going to the rear blows up, and the pedal goes to the floor, and you are having that “emergency”, and you yank up on the handle, you still don’t slow down! Even when the rear tires stop turning, you aren’t slowing down no matter how much noise they are making.

However, with a dual circuit, you may be able to slow things down just a bit more before hitting that immovable object. It’s worth the effort to make the improvement, but if you think things are still going to work just fine if one side fails, you are only kidding yourself!

As for using a T and a single circuit reservoir, there should be no problem with doing this. BUT you need to listen to what the car is telling you. If the pedal feels funny, you need to stop and check it out, not try to make it home 600 miles away. If the reservoir goes empty on single or a dual, you will feel it at the pedal before you have a brake loss.

It’s up to you to pay attention or not.
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 switches lying around from my single master cylinders off my 63. can I just screw those onto the dual circuit master cylinder and just hook up the electrical connections to one of them and call it a day?

thanks
Ketterer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure they're the same. The switches are so cheap, why risk installing a bad one and having to deal with another bleeding session? Smile
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bklyn63 wrote:
I have 2 switches lying around from my single master cylinders off my 63. can I just screw those onto the dual circuit master cylinder and just hook up the electrical connections to one of them and call it a day?

thanks

I would hook up both.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: