Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater (fuel pump) question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ELSEWHERE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Heater (fuel pump) question Reply with quote

When I hook 12 volts directly to the fuel pump it clicks. When I hook it up to the Heater- nothing. The fuse and relay are good. Looking at the wiring diagram I see that there is a set of points (labeled O2) that is supposed to be in the Combustion air blower. I found the set of points (labeled O1) for the ignition coil located in the air blower but not the set for the Fuel (metering Pump) Spark plug,glow plug works fine. If I am reading the diagram correctly, the white wire from the Combustion air blower is for the iginition coil points and the Green is for the fuel pump points.
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heat regulator ,inside the brass box, is not making contact. Jumper the blue wires on the side of it to bypass the safety mechanism. and see if it clicks then. If it does, then you need to finagle with the parts inside.
DONT leave it like this
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fire Captain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing to check is the large white plastic plug behind the heater, these plugs corrode.. clean these contacts Green and brown/white are for the pump
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Heater (fuel pump) question Reply with quote

ELSEWHERE wrote:
Looking at the wiring diagram I see that there is a set of points (labeled O2) that is supposed to be in the Combustion air blower. I found the set of points (labeled O1) for the ignition coil located in the air blower but not the set for the Fuel (metering Pump) Spark plug,glow plug works fine. If I am reading the diagram correctly, the white wire from the Combustion air blower is for the iginition coil points and the Green is for the fuel pump points.

The points for the fuel metering pump are at the opposite end of the blower motor from the points for the ignition coil.
ELSEWHERE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bypassed the regulater, still did not work.Hooked up a voltmeter to the pump and got a reading of 10 volts. I took the heater apart hooked an Ohmmeter to the green and brown wire. After rotating the motor the 30 plus turns, I get a reading of 30,000 Ohms-I think it should be closer to zero. Rotating the motor past this point, the reading is infinity(which I expect it to be). I saw that there is a clip that holds the motor to the back of the (support?) frame. I have to take the metal fan off that is on the other end .It is held on with a 2mm set screw. I am soaking it right now. I stripped out the cheap 2mm hex head tool that I had.
kme_eone
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Fuel pump points Reply with quote

The points set screw should be filled with a hard putty so people won't mess with them. The points should be .018. You set them simular to the distributor points, put the points arm on a cam high lobe point and then insert your feeler guage at .018 and then turn the set screw after you get the putty out of the screw head. These points do go bad and thne you have to hunt on samba or contact someone like me who has sets of good points and sell new South Wind heater parts.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump points Reply with quote

kme_eone wrote:
The points set screw should be filled with a hard putty so people won't mess with them. The points should be .018. You set them simular to the distributor points, put the points arm on a cam high lobe point and then insert your feeler guage at .018 and then turn the set screw after you get the putty out of the screw head. These points do go bad and thne you have to hunt on samba or contact someone like me who has sets of good points and sell new South Wind heater parts.

Chris Blankenship
South wind parts and repair
Anchorage, AK
[email protected]

Wouldn't a Thing heater be a Eberspacher?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the heater doesnt start at all?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ELSEWHERE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I purchased my Thing, the heater did not do anything at all. The first thing wrong with it was the Brown ground wire for the heater that has an eyelet on the end was not connected. I am not sure exactly where it is supposed to be connected to the body but when I ground it , blower motor kicked on. Next , the terminal connecter on the white wire from the blower was loose and broke off. When I replaced it, the Glow/spark plug stated working. The fuel pump I know is good since when I hook it up to the battery, it clicks. Found the points to the fuel pump and was getting a high resistance reading. Putting a file to the points, I now get a reading of less than 1 ohm, Alot better than the 30,000 ohm reading I was getting before. Now to put it all back together.
kme_eone
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: THING heater Reply with quote

73 THINGS had the South Winds or Espar. South Winds were made since the early 50's and we also made for other VWs.
There is a wire with a round conector and that should go onto the ground for the combustion fan.
kme_eone
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Fuel pump Reply with quote

Your fuel pump does not click, your points on the fuel pump click. The combustion fan motor powers the fuel pump, when the combustion fan turns so should the fuel pump.
locke999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: heater Reply with quote

help

heater (espach bn4) dont work,pump dont click,fan dont run.

12 volts to the thingy next to the temp fuse but not out of it.

could the thingy be bad?

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: THING heater Reply with quote

kme_eone wrote:
73 THINGS had the South Winds or Espar. South Winds were made since the early 50's and we also made for other VWs.
There is a wire with a round conector and that should go onto the ground for the combustion fan.

Do you have any literature showing the SW heater? I've never seen one.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kme_eone
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Heater showing Reply with quote

I have manuals that show South Wind Heaters. I have on order a manual for the THING.
The heater mount simular to the Eberspachers. The Eberspachers take a bit to work on if you have to get working parts since a lot fo people leave these heaters dormant as well as the South Winds I work on.

So does this member have an Eberspacher or South Wind Auxilary gas heater?
Anchorage, AK
ELSEWHERE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the BN 4 EBERSPACHER heater. It works now, but I need a overheating switch (with fuse holder). The bimatallic spring that causes the fuse to blow is missing.
kme_eone
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Eber Reply with quote

Try www.germansupply.com
Anchorage, AK
caseydenise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to keep this question in a fuel pump topic:

Has anyone ever rebuilt the heater fuel pump themselves? My fuel pump worked great, I took the heater out to clean it and now my pump dosen't work. I didn't even move it? I have it out now and when I put 12volts to it it dosen't do anything. I have banged on it plenty. Any suggestions?

I might send my heater out to a guy here on the samba. His name is Martin and he lives in Centennial, CO. He said he would look over my heater, fuel pump, and thermostat and call mith with the needed repairs. Does anyone have any experience with Martin? Thanks
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caseydenise wrote:
I wanted to keep this question in a fuel pump topic:

Has anyone ever rebuilt the heater fuel pump themselves? My fuel pump worked great, I took the heater out to clean it and now my pump dosen't work. I didn't even move it? I have it out now and when I put 12volts to it it dosen't do anything. I have banged on it plenty. Any suggestions?

I might send my heater out to a guy here on the samba. His name is Martin and he lives in Centennial, CO. He said he would look over my heater, fuel pump, and thermostat and call mith with the needed repairs. Does anyone have any experience with Martin? Thanks

That isn't JB's Heater service is it? I have heard less then favorable things about that place.
I'm not sure you can rebuild those pumps- I thought they were a sealed unit and a solenoid.
If you didn't touch the pump my guess is that it's something else that was bumped or whatever when you took the heater out.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB's is gone. But Martin in Centennial does excellent work. He's reworked BN4's for a couple of my regular customers. I wouldn't hesitate to contact him.
-
That said... most BN4 pumps just need a good soaking in WD-40 (or similar) inside and out to return them to good working order.
I should add that I've NEVER had this not work.
Eric
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
man130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pump should'nt do anything if you hook up 12 volts to it. It will only click once,so could you have missed it? What you have to do is leave one leg of 12 volt attached and just tap the other leg(say positive or neg dose'nt matter)to that terminal ,like morse code .Maybe you did that just wanted to check,cause sounds wierd just working.It should click once for each tap.and you did tap with something solid like racket extension to break the inside free.good luck
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: