Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Urgent Question!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wvukidsdoc wrote:
Nothing special about the "silver" one except VW started sending many of their o-rings covered/superficially impregnated in a graphite like stuff there in the mid 90's, I doubt it is any better material, just newer, the coating is to help their seals for everyone that doesn't understand you have to lubricate all o-rings on installation.

The original o-ring were very sorry. They only gave 2-4 years of life. The later ones (which probably everyone already has by now) give a much longer service life, but surely it is not an infinite one.

The lack of the oil cooler is one reason I like the 1.9 set up. At least four less things to leak that are known to cause untimely breakdowns and maybe complete engine failure. If I ever run a 2.1 again you can be sure that the oil cooler will be removed and that I will just run synthetic to handle the little extra heat the oil is likely to see. Even without running synthetics the 1.9 had no more bearing or cam problems than the 2.1 that I am aware of.

If you believe that all German engineering is prefect and are unwilling to ditch the cooler then at least wrap the small hoses to the cooler in foil or metal wrap. These are sure to burn to a crisp and burst at some inappropriate time.
wvukidsdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
wvukidsdoc wrote:
Nothing special about the "silver" one except VW started sending many of their o-rings covered/superficially impregnated in a graphite like stuff there in the mid 90's, I doubt it is any better material, just newer, the coating is to help their seals for everyone that doesn't understand you have to lubricate all o-rings on installation.

The original o-ring were very sorry. They only gave 2-4 years of life. The later ones (which probably everyone already has by now) give a much longer service life, but surely it is not an infinite one.

If you believe that all German engineering is prefect and are unwilling to ditch the cooler then at least wrap the small hoses to the cooler in foil or metal wrap. These are sure to burn to a crisp and burst at some inappropriate time.

I don't know volks, I've had scores of Vanagons over the years (30+) that I've bought and sold. At least half of them have been bargain basement $1000 vans I've fixed and resold, all over 10-12 years old. And countless FWD VWs. I've replaced only one of these in my life for actual failure. Though I have replaced plenty of original ones when changing hoses (admittedly a failure point over about 10 years old so for all vans now days), however I've even re-used originals in a pinch as well. I have an '87 right now, it has the original engine and I have every receipt in its life, it's never had a hose or the oil cooler seal replaced. Will/could/can it fail, sure, but I simply don't buy that "they only lasted 2-4 years" I'd have had to do scores of these in my life and I haven't. As with everything YMMV, and using the newest best part is always best.

Personally, I like the coolers, mostly because they are heaters as well, are very reliable intrinsicly themselves, and for most moderate climates are fairly effective, but they certainly introduce more failure points. In some regards though, what is 4 more hoses on a system with 15-20 anyway???

John
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you bought vanagons and flipped them with reused parts or very few new parts? Man, the new owners must love you.. Confused
wvukidsdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
So you bought vanagons and flipped them with reused parts or very few new parts? Man, the new owners must love you.. Confused

Over the years I've bought plenty of vans for $1000 and sold them for a whopping $1500-2000 or so after plenty of my time, though I have flipped a few syncro Westy's to idiots who would pay the going rate. I joined the vanagon list in its first year of existence when samba was not even a glimmer of existence, no one who ever bought a van or an engine from me has ever complained. The new owners and the countless people who I have worked on their vehicles for free over the years have never comlained either. Will I use a used part I consider OK, sure as hell. Do I think an o-ring coated with graphite is better than one not, not really, do I think they are of miraculously better quality, not really, do I think the original ones were "prone to failure in 2-4 years" well I don't recall them failing left and right in 1989 or 1990 or so, let alone 25 years on.

YMMV.
John
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Used parts vs new parts Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:

There are numerous vehicles on the road that went thru similar hands, including dealers and car lots that had "used" parts and "very few" new parts put on them.

There's nothing unusual about what the man said he done.

Right now, there's a junk heap Bay Bus in Florida that I am considering going down and purchasing for less than $500.00. I'll bring it back from the brink of extinction with both "used and new" parts....... have it purring like a kitten and then Sell it.

Any potential buyer will have the opportunity to look it over, take it for a drive and then make a decision - to buy or not to buy! Their choice!

Edit: To the original Thread Starter's Urgent Question, I still say it is the Oil Filter seal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've flipped lots of VW's and Subaru's in my day too. I have reused good parts but I wouldn't reuse old seals, but that's how I roll I guess. Confused

Oil cooler o-ring sounds like what has gone south for the OP. It isn't too difficult to change.
Spin off the oil filter and let it drain down. Take off nut in the middle of the threaded fitting that the filter spins on. The 2 coolant lines need to come off- clamp them off if you can. Drop the oil cooler and replace the o-ring. Good luck.

Oil cooler seal- http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_368_709/oil_cooler_seal.html
Coolant hoses- http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_369_673/oil_cooler_hose_kit_86_91.html
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a lighter note

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OpuuAa7gdE

I can't get it to link correctly______anyone?
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Urgent Question! Reply with quote

Matt Gesus wrote:
Im not too familiar with my vanagon yet.
therefore i have no clue what has happened. i started my van, and my friend saw all of the oil just drop down from around the oil filter.
i mean ALL the oil just fell out.

im not sure weather i blew a head gasket. or the oil pan seal.
Does anyone have any idea what im experiencing?
1986 vw vanagon.

thanks in advance.

Mechanic 101, clean oil leak area, start van and watch. Very simple and effective. Take a picture, post it here. You will have your answer in 3 seconds. not sure how to clean an oil leak mess. It's call brake cleaner.

The oil filter area is a big leaky one.

I'll bet on a defective oil pressure sender, oil pressure reg seal, hey maybe an unhappy pushrod tube.... a hole in the block. A perforated oil filter. Missing the oil drain plug?

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww, come on, Ben, that would be too easy!

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote from the Bentley:

"Extreme cold weather can harden and split the seal between the engine block and the oil cooler thus creating an oil leak.

"An improved cold-resistant seal was installed in production as of 02/87.

"The new seal can be identified by its silver-grey appearance and is available through your parts deparment (sic), part no. N 901 814.02."

It doesn't take much experience with VW engines to know that these seals fail often. The N 901 814.02 seal has been superseded by a later number 038.117.070A which has the alignment ears.

I don't think that VW went to the trouble of up grading these seals at least twice because they weren't having problems. I haven't seen an earlier seal in years, all the earlier ones disappeared from the system years ago.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never seen an oil cooler seal failure.

Sorry

ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have.
A couple months after fixing it I yanked the motor and pushed a subaru engine into it's place. Smile
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i replaced eng in my '86 syncro in august i removed the oil cooler, 4-1.9's previous with mucho miles and no problems so i removed the potential disaster maker.
Matt Gesus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was the oil coller gasket!
and those clamps were pretty difficult to deal with in my freezing garage. hah

thanks to everyone for the help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember when my cabriolet did the same thing last winter. i lost like all the oil, thank god it did not lock the motor up. btw where in va are you matt?
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get the bentagon book and dont be afraid to disassemble things after the cursory cleaning. Youlle need an entire pack of huggies for that 2.1..."some prestone and a lot of ball bearings....wich!" .. "And clean off this filth and muck, and guck!" [fletch]
call morton thyocol. the seals have failed again. where's tencent with his two cents?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, Virginia doesn't know what cold is. I lived in Edmonton Alberta for 3 years while I was intraining and it never got above zero for over 4 mths! THAT was depressing. Cool

Manitoba beats Southern Ontario for cold tho. In Canada we consider Virginia "down south" Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: