Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pulled the trigger New to me 1986
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Pulled the trigger New to me 1986 Reply with quote

So by the coaxing of my wife I went and bought an 1986 7 passenger Vanagon today, For a pretty good price. I can now be classified as one of those guys that owns more then one. It spent it's life in North Carolina and Italy/Europe and has since been parked since last winter. It did come with a few quirks, that I'll have to work out. I hope I can come here for advice (after I exhaust the search of course) since all of my knowledge is with the 1.9 (14 years worth). Upon closer look the 2.1 looks like a different monster. Knowing some of the differences like the two oil gauges cooling system etc... I think I'll be alright. Runs very good, stop and go and highway. AC not hooked up more to come on that. Power steering is very nice after not having it this whole time. Found no puddles underneath, although it did have a tiny little cold weather drip on the drivers side. We all know what that will lead to. I wiped the drip off and BS'd with the owner for about 2 hours and rechecked the drip before I left and nothing accumulated so we'll see. I'm the 3rd owner and it reads 113k on the speedo and all original. Few things on deck fuel lines, Head light switch (one of the quirks), bed liner product around bottom of van, Reconditioned injectors, Oil & filter, Oil psi Gauge, Hitch and many others. Did Vw put a tag on the overflow tank at some point saying to use Phosphate free coolant from the dealer? Just curious. Well I think that's about it. Thanks in advanced for the help in the 2.1 department. Now on to the photos and the search.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1984 Westy
1986 7 Pass R.I.P. Donor van
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.

Last edited by binger59 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change your fuel lines (always wanted to say that!) Looks like a great van, very clean looking. good luck.
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

binger59 wrote,
Quote:
Few things on deck fuel lines,

jacob wrote,
Quote:
Change your fuel lines (always wanted to say that!)

Nice try, he already knows Cool

Nice find, that is by far my favorite paint scheme for these vans!

Last edited by SteveVanB on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those old green vw stickers are old school i used to have one its amazing its still on there, i think they were magnetic,,,nice bus congrats
peasant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks way better in your pics than the ones on craigslist, congrats
seanjenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!
Can't believe you had to be "coaxed" in to buying it!
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jacob. Will do. Vanagonjetta I never even saw the craigs add until after. Friend of mine called me and said he seen an ad in the local paper and knew another friend needed an engine . Seanjenn the coaxing part is because I've been planning on buying another one but not until spring/summer. When the wife said buy it what was I to do say no I'll wait. Fat chance on that. Can't wait to drive it full time.

1984 Westy
1986 7 Pass R.I.P. Donor van
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: