Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Hightop Option
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zacamil7525
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Finally there is something available for those of us looking to 'camperize' our vans. Timber Technicians in the UK is producing a nice looking Hightop. I just ordered one from Canadian Hightops and will be driving up to Toronto to pick mine up when they arrive in a couple of months. If anyone else in the Mid Atlantic region is thinking of purchasing one as well and want to save $$$ on the shipping let me know. I can probably bring down three or four. PM me if interested.
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: High Tops Reply with quote

The web site http://canadianhightops.ca is up and working. Check it out for images and details.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job getting timber technician to make those available over here. I'm sure a lot of people appreciate it. In about 2 years, if they're still available, I'll be purchasing one.
timber tech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well as sending the hightops over we will also be helping with technical backup.
Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
zacamil7525
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by zacamil7525 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
zacamil7525
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since purchasing the Hightop I have been thinking about how much my vans performance would be affected. Not that the Vanagon is known for being very aerodynamic

Anyhow I searched around the forum and found a relative post I thought some of you considering a Hightop might find interesting.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=316411&highlight=drag

It looks like kevtherev has a Hightop similar if not the same one being offered by Maple Leaf High Tops.
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone have any pics of mounting one of these, is it complicated (I'm guesing not)?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: complicated? Reply with quote

You're guessing correctly - the entire process takes about 4 hours, spread over a 24 hour period - the adhesives have to set up. It is done mainly with a caulking gun.
For those further interested in the question of aerodynamics - there is another thread "vanagon wind test photos" - use the search function - the last couple of posts on that thread link to an animation site on which there is an application that replicates (sort of,I think) air flow and turbulence. I don't know how to get it to work and don't have the time to figure it out, but maybe someone else does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: tops Reply with quote

not ours - but really nice
http://westyventures.com/Highroofs.htm
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: tops Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
http://westyventures.com/Highroofs.htm

wow that combo hi-top/ poptop is THE BEST who da thought
That is perfect
http://westyventures.com/images/highroofs/6918_3.JPG
http://westyventures.com/images/highroofs/d498_1.JPG
http://westyventures.com/images/highroofs/75_1_b.JPG
http://westyventures.com/images/highroofs/6e88_3.JPG
http://westyventures.com/images/highroofs/DSC00008-1.JPG
http://westyventures.com/images/highroofs/var02_12.jpg

hydraulic lifters for sure Smile
accountant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These look great. Any way to source these tops?
Shastaclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
youremyboyblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: too much mark up Reply with quote

i really like this roof option ...

if someone was going to build a joint venture, wouldn't it be more cost effective to build them on this side of the pond?

i'm more inclined to have one shipped from the uk as, the "full" version of this top (shell, windows, vent, front storage, bed & lining) currently lists for just under $1k USD uninstalled and just over $1k USD installed (as opposed to $2k USD from this new vendor). could shipping and taxes/VAT REALLY cost THAT much to be cost prohibitive?
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed I'm confused. When you talk the Hi Top and the prices previously mentionned, is that just for the top and not the whole van? Is the inside of the top custom finished or standard finished? Lining? Extras?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the link provided in the 1st reply and all your answers are under the product icon. Good luck.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I viewed all the pictures. Very interesting. Its amazing that something that makes the vanagon bigger makes it look smaller as in shorter. Almost optical illusion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: too much mark up Reply with quote

youremyboyblue wrote:
i really like this roof option ...

if someone was going to build a joint venture, wouldn't it be more cost effective to build them on this side of the pond?

i'm more inclined to have one shipped from the uk as, the "full" version of this top (shell, windows, vent, front storage, bed & lining) currently lists for just under $1k USD uninstalled and just over $1k USD installed (as opposed to $2k USD from this new vendor). could shipping and taxes/VAT REALLY cost THAT much to be cost prohibitive?

Installed and fitted out like that would be about $2300 USD. The prices on the UK website are in British pounds. Big difference.
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

Last edited by HeftySmurf on Wed May 05, 2010 8:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is a DIY at least for the finishing inside?. Do you provide your own van or do you get the van completely done on a new vanagon?.

This is just something left over from my days of owning sailboats. I had my last boat built and it was totally lined with mold resistant foam backed material. It was a good look and enabled me to make some custom changes inside with extra material. That was good as I can't saw very straight Laughing It kept out the cold and was cooler in the summer. I extended my cruising season by at lleast 3 mths.

Would this be a feasible idea for finishing and or customizing?
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simba'sWestyWings wrote:
So this is a DIY at least for the finishing inside?. Do you provide your own van or do you get the van completely done on a new vanagon?.

This is just something left over from my days of owning sailboats. I had my last boat built and it was totally lined with mold resistant foam backed material. It was a good look and enabled me to make some custom changes inside with extra material. That was good as I can't saw very straight Laughing It kept out the cold and was cooler in the summer. I extended my cruising season by at lleast 3 mths.

Would this be a feasible idea for finishing and or customizing?

This is a combination of answers to the questions in the other thread (cutaway Westy) and this one...

Aerodynamic drag (what you are calling windage from your sailing days) is a product of drag coefficient, frontal area, and velocity squared. The drag coefficent is highly dependent on the actual shape of the surface of the object being dragged through the air, in your case the load on the top you are asking about. The frontal area of the stuff on top, as well as the shape of the pile, will both have an effect. There is no simple answer.

For example, HeftySmurf commented about the aerodynamic drag being lower for hightops. That came from a Dehler drag study comparing the tin-top Vanagon, the standard Westy poptop, and the Dehler roof (which is very aerodynamic). In that study, the drag coefficient was lower for the hightop, as a result of its shape. It doesn't mean that the total drag is lower. It might be -- i don't know, but the total is the product of the frontal area and drag coefficient. And I doubt that the drag coefficient for the roofs being imported will be quite as good as the Dehler.

Hightops are common in Europe, much less common in North America.

For 2K you get the top and some uninstalled windows, is my understanding. Then you finish it yourself, or get CanadianHightops to do it for you (or anyone else I guess).

I think if you go to the website for canadianhightops at the start of this thread you will get the best answers to your questions. They are starting a hightop conversion business based on a top made in the UK, and shipped over here. There are links to the UK business with lots of ideas for finishing the interior.

The costs being discussed are just the bare top, unfinished inside, but with some windows you can install. No van included, you buy the top and install it and finish it, on your own van, or pay someone else to do it.

You would need to provide more details about the material you are thinking about, but yes it sounds like a feasible idea. Generally speaking, anything that will work on a sailboat will work on a camper van -- think of it as a land yacht.

Hope this helps, RonC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 72

Jump to: