Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Memory foam on top of the bed (westy/bottom).
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

torocreek wrote:
madspaniard wrote:
2" memory foam from Bed Bad & Beyond. Stock size, I didn't cut anything, slightly wider than lower bed but it does not interfere with rear cabinet door or anything. It folds up easily in rear cargo area under everything else. I don't always carry it with me. It also doubles as memory foam on top of guest sofa bed at home.

You can also buy a full size futon mattress cover to protect your memory foam.

They are the perfect size, have zippers, and are made out of a real durable fabric.

I then roll it up and stuff it into a draw string bag I bought at REI.

Thanks, mine came with cover already

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2" topper with 4pound density, $90, no cover mentioned:

http://tinyurl.com/yp3tx7

If you found something else in 2" thickness and 4 pound density, with a cover, please post a link
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:

HeftySmurf wrote:

I though COstco wouldnt mount tires that were not stock?

They won't mount wheels in your car but they will sell you tires and mount/balance them in the wheels. Then you can mount them in the car yourself.

I think it depends on the Costco...
our local store sold me a full set of Michelin Agilis 15" tires and mounted them on the GoWesty alloys that were on my van, without question.

Costco has good quality memory foam mattress toppers for $100 or less, but I believe they are 3" thick.

I'd like to get one that will fold up and store at the rear of the van in the pop-top as some of you have mentioned, but it's seems like 6" of folded memory foam would be putting stress on the top, no?
Belladonna30c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamos Wrote: "I'd like to get one that will fold up and store at the rear of the van in the pop-top as some of you have mentioned, but it's seems like 6" of folded memory foam would be putting stress on the top, no?"

I tried folding my 2-3" to put in the back of the pop top for storage, but that just didn't work. It was toooooooo dense.

"A picture is worth a 1,000 words..."

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belladonna30c wrote:
Jamos Wrote: "I'd like to get one that will fold up and store at the rear of the van in the pop-top as some of you have mentioned, but it's seems like 6" of folded memory foam would be putting stress on the top, no?"

I tried folding my 2-3" to put in the back of the pop top for storage, but that just didn't work. It was toooooooo dense.

same here, I tried and almost bust the poptop front locking mechanism, plus I don't want to open the poptop everytime I need the foam in the lower bed.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Boegrrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto using 2" memory cut down, 1" egg crate foam all encased in enclosed mattress pad. Did not bother trying to crunch close top with stored in aft top. Rolled up and bungeed with difficulty stuffed inside cabin.
Nonetheless, This is some dreamy bed, I have to say!

Now have added a Big Agnes self inflating 2.5" pad adding 2" memory on top. The pad will be easier to carry, deflated and folded in half in storage duffle. Trying it out this weekend. Should be fine with fimer bottom foam.
Julian13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week whilst over the border in WA, I bought a 4" memory foam combo queen topper for $124:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4569413#ProductDetail

Last night I tried it out on the back seat of the Eurovan and had a great night's sleep. I didn't have any lower back issues which says a lot as I have found my tempurpedic at home is the only solution under normal conditions.

Highly recommended and it folds over nicely to sit on the rear shelf without popping up over the top.
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, some are saying 2" folded into thirds in the top bunk with the top down works and others say it doesn't? Could this be due to desnsity?
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fit a 1.5" memory foam up top in thirds towards the back. You can also leave it folded in back and unfolded up to the front of the bed. There is a 1" gap between the folded leaf and the top where I usually keep a couple blankets. So it's folded in more of a "j" shape if that makes sense.
dragonbyu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm new to memory foam and have never sat or laid on it. I am thinking of making my own bed in my bus and was wondering if i got some 4 inch memory foam, could i use that by it self. or would it need regular foam down first?
Belladonna30c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonbyu wrote:
i'm new to memory foam and have never sat or laid on it. I am thinking of making my own bed in my bus and was wondering if i got some 4 inch memory foam, could i use that by it self. or would it need regular foam down first?

I would recommend a thick layer of a dense regular foam for support. On top of that 2-3" of memory foam for comfort.

"A picture is worth a 1,000 words..."

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tips:

If you get memory foam buy from Overstock.com. Their price appears to be the SAME regardless of mattress size, and is very competitive.

I got the Serta Deluxe 2-inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper and am a happy camper. It was $80, with free shipping.

Be sure and you buy the California King size (70 inches x 80 inches), you can trim it to 40" by 70" with zero waste and fit the top and bottom bunk to perfection. I ordered the normal king, and wish I had got the Ca king.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClimberJohn, and just to be sure, the pop top closes ok on this particular 2" mattress topper when it's folded into thirds/fourths in the space up there? The information your providing is valuable, timely and very much appreciated. THANKS!

climberjohn wrote:
Tips:

If you get memory foam buy from Overstock.com. Their price appears to be the SAME regardless of mattress size, and is very competitive.

I got the Serta Deluxe 2-inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper and am a happy camper. It was $80, with free shipping.

Be sure and you buy the California King size (70 inches x 80 inches), you can trim it to 40" by 70" with zero waste and fit the top and bottom bunk to perfection. I ordered the normal king, and wish I had got the Ca king.

-CJ
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - I just bought two toppers from Target, red tagged - 2" toppers $14 a piece.
They fit the lower westy bunk great- no cutting necessary. Fits the upper bunk too, with a few inches to spare. wife and kid sleep down, I sleep up.

It comes rolled up in plastic like a sleeping bag. I can re-roll them after use back into the plastic for easy storage and transport. Much better sleep now!!!
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody have any input on this topic? I'm looking to add memory foam/egg crate foam to my upper bunk OEM pad. My goal is to be able to close the pop top with the foam stored up top and with the bed fully folded.

It sounds like some 2" memory foam pads folded in thirds will achieve this goal. Any products in particular? Anyone try the foam pads from Costco?
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running_Man wrote:
Anybody have any input on this topic? I'm looking to add memory foam/egg crate foam to my upper bunk OEM pad. My goal is to be able to close the pop top with the foam stored up top and with the bed fully folded.

It sounds like some 2" memory foam pads folded in thirds will achieve this goal. Any products in particular? Anyone try the foam pads from Costco?

I bought a sleep master 1.5 inc memory foam queen size pad off amazon prime a couple months ago and love it! $75 shipped . Folds into 1/3 perfectly and poptop closes no problem
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 2" gowesty lower bed pad and I still have an issue sleeping... I think I may need something a bit thicker than the pad.

I'm currently looking at various options.
gtoews
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Replacing the upper bunk foam not using a topper. Reply with quote

I haven't seen anyone mention replacing the foam. Anyone have experience with this? I believe it's accessible either by zipper or snap. I store my solar panel in the back up top and even that even that causes issues with airflow and mold. Thanks in advance.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some experimenting with different types of foam when I rebuilt my lower seat and rear mattress and also toppers for the upper mattress. I think slightly softer conventional foam is the way to go. But softer by foam standards is considered hard. The hardest stuff they have is still softer than the Westy stuff. If you ever see an old American RV in the junkyard, the foam they use for beds/seating is ridiculous, low quality all falling apart and way to soft.

And memory foam is a marketing gimick. No where as good as quality conventional foam in a Westy. The Memory foam name sells, but high quality poly foam is great stuff and the memory foam most people get is the wally world low budget crap.

If you redo it, get 50+ ILD and the high quality high density stuff. Don't go thicker than 4", it compresses too much. It is harder to find 1/2" increments, like 3.5". They will cut it to exact dimensions which is nice. Foam By Mail is a good place to get it. You can find local commercial places that cater to reupholsterers but they don't like doing one off retail orders. And the local retail places are 4 times the price.

There are probably people who know a lot more than I do about foams, but this is what I learned after trying half a dozen different ones in different thickness, weights and grades.
Reventlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the room in the back of the tin top, but it's killing my hips for some reason. To avoid carrying around a mattress topper, I'm toying with the idea of attempting to cut a 7" foam or latex mattress into the shape of the engine cover cushion, and rebuilding the back of the rear seat with the same stuff. Anyone tried anything like this?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: