Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

surfing locks - combination locks
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: surfing locks - combination locks Reply with quote

hi all i'm getting a 79 westy as my surfing mobile. i was wondering if anyone had installed some kind of lock that doesn't use a key. i don't want to have to keep track of a single key while i'm in the water. i would like to install some kind of combination lock on the sliding door with electronic solenoids. any ideas or previous experience is greatly appreciated!
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might make more sense to put the lock on the rear hatch. Just seems easier to make it look nice. As for what kind of lock, I'm not sure.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are worried about theft, I doubt extra locking mechanisms is going to make a difference. A vent wing is always the easiest way into a bus.
Not that I have done it lately, but when I was surfing from the 70's thru the 90's, I just placed a magnetic key holder in an unusual place before I left home for the beach. I locked the key chain in a lock box inside the bus.
When I got out of the surf, I would get the key holder and open her up. If I was frequenting one break a lot, I would move the key holder the next time.

I hear you though, keeping track of a key in the water sucks. I used to tie the door key on the drawstring of my trunks.

Sorry can't help you out with any other experience. Might want to speak to a mechanic who works on the combo locks that are installed on higher end vehicles.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wrongway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Locking Up, When Your In The Water Reply with quote

I've been wearing an extra key on a cord around my neck when I'm in the water, been doing it that way for 3 years. Before that, I used a real estate lock box with a key in it, I hung it from the transportation tie down ring under the front end. If you use the cord around your neck, just clean the salt water off and dry it before you use the key in the lock. I dry it by swinging it around like a propeller.
pb24ss
Samba Member

Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you surfing cherry creek? Very Happy

I'd get a real estate lock box and hang it off the bus somewhere when you're riding the creek.
Zed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian are you really buying a fatchick? I'm only asking because your attitude last summer was more along the lines "if it ain't split it ain't shit"

Enjoy the extra power and driveability that is the late bay.
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boyfriend keeps his key in this little pocket that's built into his wetsuit. So far so good, we haven't lost it yet.
I've been thinking about getting some kind of magnetic holder though, as a backup.
pb24ss
Samba Member

Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed wrote:
Ian are you really buying a fatchick? I'm only asking because your attitude last summer was more along the lines "if it ain't split it ain't shit"

Enjoy the extra power and driveability that is the late bay.

I don't think Ian plans on surfing Cherry Creek, so he needs something to get him to the coast in comfort and style. Very Happy
Dufo's Pizza and Auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a combination "lock box" like a realtor uses for showing houses?

Just lock it to the bus, and put a door key inside it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

here is a wall (or inside the engine compartment) mount version
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=...sku=364352

Good luck.

...'cause it ain't easy bein' cheesy!
Bajatacoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowe's sells those boxes too.

When I'm paddling, I tie a door key on my shorts like others have mentioned. When I'm wearing my shorty which doesn't have a pocket I tie the key to my ankle and zip my booties over it. I also keep a spare key hidden under the bus in case I lose the other- so far I haven't had to use it. There are plenty of ways/places to stash a spare, you just have to look for them. I prefer keeping one pre-stashed so there's no chance of anyone seeing me hiding a key when I get to where I'm going.

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?
Hunter S Thompson
TexasAirCooler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were suppose to lock our buses? Razz
I like the lock box.
I've never locked any of mine. Don't want to replace any glass. I use a hidden ignition kill switch.

Common Sense Is A Flower That Doesn't Grow In Everyone's Garden.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just stash the key somewhere or you could dump 1K in to a fingerprint entry system on the slider...... you thinking to much into this, just put the key some where if someone really wants in they are just going to break teh window, stashing the key outside of the bus or in the engine bay should do
as who's going to take 1.2 and hour search for a key that may not be there in the first place? you see what i'm saying, most car thefts are crimes of opportunity or smash and grabs, i mean your not dealing with high class art thief's with lock picks and a plan here, just get one of those !.50 mag holders for a key and stick in a random location, just don't use the wheel well where a person would instinctively look, you should be fine as long as you think about placement a little.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: