Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another cam question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdub wrote:

I totally get what your saying but even though all that would do is lower the .050 duration which would make the cam closer to the specs of the cheater cam.

Very true.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

based on numbers given, of your three choices the FK-41 still looks the best to me with either 1.1 or up to 1.3 rockers. that cheater cam looks pretty soggy with relatively high advertised and nothing @ .050"
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1432 wrote:
based on numbers given, of your three choices the FK-41 still looks the best to me with either 1.1 or up to 1.3 rockers. that cheater cam looks pretty soggy with relatively high advertised and nothing @ .050"

Yeah but the choice is harder because I am tying to go economy.

If I wanted to go fast i would just go all out but I am shooting for 30MPG.

I think the displacement will give me tons of power its harder though picking a cam when you want to save gas.

Its funny I was talking with a buddy today about how much easier it would be if I was building a small block Chevy because if I didn't like the cam I could just change it but with a VW I have to break the whole motor apart to change the cam. It makes for a much harder choice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i honestly think your making a mountain out of a mole hill with this cam descision. your state of tune on the engine will affect your MPG more than the difference between the few cams you have listed.

if your engine isnt tuned properly it doesnt matter what cam you run youll get shitty results. bottom line.

heck if mid 20s can be seen form a 200hp motor w/ idas 30 should be a cakewalk with small displacement and kadrons or 36 dells

just measure your deck, set the compression to what your cam likes and tune the timing/carbs properly and youll see 30mpg unless you drive like and asshat

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:
Hey It is The Samba where well thought out rational answers can take a while and getting side tracked is normal. I was just lucky this time. Smile

cr@M wrote:

No one has any personal responsibility these days. This country is sue happy. Intelligence is no longer a requirement, just an accessory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the comments Grimace made are about all that needs to be said, beyond that I would just add that smaller cams require more conservative thinking when considering compression ratios.
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your probably right but this car has been in dry dock for 4 years and I am just trying to do everything right before its on the road again.

It has all brand new brakes with dot 5 fluid suspension and shocks are new. everything that I could fix I have and I am almost ready to drive it so I want to make sure everything goes right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a funny reply.

The reason i am building this engine is so I can drive like an asshat and still get good gas mileage.

Smile
jg405i
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: cb cam Reply with quote

1300cc and 28 pic getting 28 mpg all day
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: cb cam Reply with quote

jg405i wrote:
1300cc and 28 pic getting 28 mpg all day

But you can't drive like an asshat with a 28PICT. My 1915 turbo gets mid 20's, and it's fast enough to kill me. Shocked

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: