Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Broken Clock repair
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DannoT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Broken Clock repair Reply with quote

Ok so after much procrastination i have gotten around to fixing my bus's clock after taking it apart and adding machine quality clock oil every thing runs smoothly but when hooked to electricity it doesnt run. T clarify when i pull back the winding spring and reliece it all the cogs and springs work and even turns the hands of the clock but fails to rewind the spring on its own i have thouroly cleaned it but still no success. I do not know what the problem is and i do not know how the electic motor rewinds the clock. any suggestions on how to procede?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the fuse of the clock is intact

I think this arm has something to do with the winding of the clock
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DannoT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I hooked the clock up but could not get any ohm readings and cold not get a voltage past where the wires connect after further inspection I noticed the part of the negative terminal is spring loaded so I think there might be a fuse or something that goes in there but i dont know.

The negative terminal and the quick connect that is spring loaded

This is the inside of where the wires connect to the clock it is spring loaded and it looks like something was once soldered in there
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know anything about clocks, but that's a bulb holder. Same as in the speedo.
DannoT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel really stupid that makes complete sense thank you for the help ill give it a try.
VolksFire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you were trying to ground the clock by the light socket, thats why its not working. lol. you need to connect a ground to one of the threaded posts or the body of the clock. IIRC, i dont remember there being a ground tab on these clocks. i bet it works. Razz

also, you should stick to your original thread to minimize repetitive posting. thanks. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=357329
63 Single Cab
67 SO42 Westfalia
73 Thing
76 Kombi
82 Westfalia Deluxe
82 Quantum Coupe
85 Quantum Sedan
85 Quantum Syncro Wagon
96 Golf GL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: