Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bathroom / Utility Trailer
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
josh_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Bathroom / Utility Trailer Reply with quote

I was kinda surprised not to find any threads on this subject- maybe I didn't search properly.

Have any of you ever put together a trailer to augment your camper van? Something to haul everything that would take up too much space in the van?

I use my '99 Weekender to camp mainly at auto races and paintball events. Most of these don't have showers available, or shore power, or anywhere to wash your hands and face within 500 yards of the camping area. Most DO have plenty of port-a-johns. When I've been running through poison ivy or sweating in a firesuit or crawling under an oily car all day, it's nice to be able to take a hot shower before crawling into bed. It would also be nice to pop a DVD in my 15" LCD TV and watch a movie while I work on whatever without worrying about not having enough juice in the extra battery to charge the radios overnight.

I have serious Rialta envy, but 3-5 trips a year doesn't justify having one of those parked in front of my house.

I've been daydreaming about picking up a huffed camper for parts, and imposing upon a friend's welding skills to build a 4x6 pop-up bathroom trailer with the following installed:

50 gallon freshwater
50 gallon graywater
Tankless propane water heater
Propane tank and connections
Generator (in a muffling compartment)
Shower
Sink
Toilet (either RV-style flushing, or porta/incinerator- not sure- I may leave it out all-together)
External connections for 110v, and water - in AND out.
Roof rack

I googled around, and found some portable bathroom trailers, but they seemed more geared towards disaster-relief or outdoor festivals where water and/or electricity were provided. The were also all hard-tops, but this would only need hard sides high enough to clear the sink.

Has anybody done something like this? Any tips or suggestions? Am I a huge sissy for not just using a 2 gallon solar shower (and forming a mud bog in my camping area)?
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a motorcyle trailer that matches my Westy etc.... I'm going to use for BBQ, electric bike, hose, electrical cord, etc.. Got it for $75. Cdn. I saw it peaking out of the snow and took me a mth to track down the owner and buy it. Will download a picture soon.

I use a round pail which has a very tight lid for my body wastes. It will do for now. Used to use it in my tent for night time use.

For showers do what sailors do, can get a solar bag shower or design your own. Wish they were bigger but I may make a big one. Could lash it to your roof so it will warm up in the sun. If you do the tank things, then dark bladder tanks are better than solid shaped ones. Just keep a bit of bleach in it between rinses to prevent bugs (biotics) from growing.
rOn could almost use a dark bladder tank for the top for shower/bathing water. Run the hose into the trees or outside of your camped area.

Zee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Adventure Trailers. I think ARB amkes/imports one as well.
Not exactly what you looking for but may give you some good ideas.
Not really affordable either as they cost as much as a nice van. But again, inspriation.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: