Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Traveling with 3 kids (soon)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffklein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Traveling with 3 kids (soon) Reply with quote

We have a 1984 Westy and have taken trips no problem with 2 kids. #3 is on his way in April. This summer we plan on taking some small camping trips (Grassroots Festival, the Daks, etc) for weekends up to 4 days. Our daughter should be in a booster by summer time. If you've had to travel with 3 kids under the age of 5, I'd love to hear your suggestions. I guess our main problem is seating for 2 adults and the 3 little ones. Thanks.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Box DVD's, and a DVD player.
You can pick up DVD's at one Red Box, and drop them at another. And there is a Red Box at just about every McDonalds.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't travelled with 3 kids under 5, but did travel with 3 teens from Calgary to Grand Canyon, Disney Land and northwest coast in a 1982 aircooled.

To give the 2 girls room on the back bench seat, I installed an easily removable seat on rails behind the passenger seat. It was an original VW van seat facing forward, but I had to mount the rails for it. Gave everyone room to 'do their thing'.

At night the girls slept up top, our son slept in a annex on a camp cot - unless the weather was bad. Then we levelled the floor from between the front drivers and passengers seat and the back floor and he stretched out there. That left the lower bed for for us. Of course anyone getting up in the night had to tread carefully!

Have fun!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can, try to find one of the center box seats that were available on the earlier Westies. Check to see if you have the rails in the floor already, or if not, make certain to add those as well.

It would look like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Otherwise you could try and find a rear-facing jump seat from a later model Carat and install that instead. There are plenty of how-to threads in the forum to help guide you along.

We travel with our sons (7, 5, and 2) all over the western states, and it's always fun. Just make certain to hit a park every couple hours or so - there's one in every town.
jeffklein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
You can pick up DVD's at one Red Box, and drop them at another. And there is a Red Box at just about every McDonalds.

Thanks! I never heard of Red Box. Do they have Barbie Princess videos? LOL!
jeffklein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:
If you can, try to find one of the center box seats that were available on the earlier Westies. Check to see if you have the rails in the floor already, or if not, make certain to add those as well.

It would look like this:

Otherwise you could try and find a rear-facing jump seat from a later model Carat and install that instead. There are plenty of how-to threads in the forum to help guide you along.

We travel with our sons (7, 5, and 2) all over the western states, and it's always fun. Just make certain to hit a park every couple hours or so - there's one in every town.

That looks perfect for our seating issue! That sounds like what Spitsnrovers is describing as well. I think you had that posted on a 5th seat thread? Does that slide in and out or do you leave it in all the time? Also, any issues with sleeping? Thanks.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seat slides out easily if the floor is fitted properly for it. Makes a nice seat outside the van too!
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffklein wrote:
Russ Wolfe wrote:

They are a video rental chain. Kind of like NetFlix. $1 per video per day.

A big red vending machine outside about every McDonalds here in the midwest anyway.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
slunk33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
jeffklein wrote:
Russ Wolfe wrote:

They are a video rental chain. Kind of like NetFlix. $1 per video per day.

A big red vending machine outside about every McDonalds here in the midwest anyway.

The best part is you can return your rentals to any Redbox and pick up another one. Might want to make a list of Redbox locations along your route to make it easier. We have them at Albertson's and Walgreens here in Washington. I saw them at Walgreens and Frye's Grocery Stores in Arizona.

Former VW's:
'72 Bus, '75 Bus, '78 Sunroof Bus, '87 Vanagon GL, '00 Jetta TDI (Gas companies don't miss her, but I do), '04 Passat Wagon
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it wasnt in a westy however we did 4 kids ranging from 3-14 in a regular 7 pasenger vanagon we have the rear facing jump seats and put a large tup of toys in the middle every one could reach and get stuff and the tub could be closed to create a table the only real isues we had were getting the three year old to stay seated in his booster (much less advanced than modern ones.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffklein - I would send a PM to that 1621 guy. I've seen his van and it's pretty well dialed in for travel with three kids.

He's got it soo dialed in he even decided he had extra room for a St. Bernard puppy. Laughing
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard he was even having another kid too! Shocked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWTWTLW wrote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:
GWTWTLW wrote:

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blakeck2 wrote:
1621 wrote:
GWTWTLW wrote:

Laughing

But he hasn't been camping in months...
jeffklein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:

It would look like this:

Your seat still looks perfect for what we need. I guess I just have to be patient now because I can't find one anywhere on the web....
Thanks for the tip! Much appreciated!
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: traveling with kids Reply with quote

Regarding the extra seat: If you've a Wolfsburg Edition in the '84 (two-tone brown/tan), with the "linoleum" style floor, you've likely got the seat tracks there. They will accomodate either a single-person swivel seat with the locking box underneath, or a two-person seat. The one-person seat usually sells for quite a lot on eBay (often $250 to $300), but you can often pick up a two-person middle seat at a junk yard for $25 to $50.

If you don't have the seat tracks there, you can add them. The mounts are there; you just have to source the tracks and hardware (eBay of Samba classifieds.

Ed in CT
bac914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a full bench in from a 7 passenger, using factory rails and mounts. Works great. Slides in for the ride and out at camp. It also allows for an adult to sit in the back with the kids instead of trying to reach from the front. You do lose access to the fridge though, but so far not an issue.

Once you have the seating figured out, you'll need to build one of these:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=381648

Here's a pic, plenty of leg room too....

dumpling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/pts/1563275134.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we travelled with small(er) kids (than they are now), one of the keys was not to push too far in one day. Maybe 2 3 hour jumps or so, with a good break for lunch and a playground in between. In the morning we'd check the map for an area with a couple campgrounds in it, about the right distance away and go. When the kids started to get ancy in the late afternoon, we'd head for a campground to set up for the night. The one day out of 21 that we ignored this did not end well! Another thing that helped, as mentioned before was a handy toy/activity bin for the kids. And the third was little treat bags we made up ahead of time for them, with a toy and some snacks in them. The kids just loved those!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: