Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question: Transaxle Gearing and Bostig-Zetec
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before doing any transaxle regearing, you MUST take into account the tire size. The OP said his tire is

> Rev/Mile: 761

that is 7% taller than stock, just from the tires

> put in a taller 1.18-3rd and a LOWER .82-4th gear

first a .82 is NOT lower than a .85, its taller, by 3.5% and the 1.18 is also taller, by 3.7%

so with a 761 rotaion tire, and the 1.18 3rd and .82 4th your gearing will be
1st 7% tall
2nd 7% tall
3rd 11% tall RED FLAG anything over 10% tall
4th 10% tall

My opinion, dont change the gears if you run tires that are already 7% tall. The only real way to deal with big wheels, is to change the ring and pinion. NONE of the gear changes we are discussing are shorter, they are ALL taller

I think what Daryl meant when he said shorter, was that the change to a .82 4th is LESS TALL than a change to a .77 4th, but the original poster already has tall tires, so making ANY of his gearing even taller makes no sense at all..

When you reduce gearing to percent change as I do above, you can also see the gaps between the gears.. There would be a pretty big gap of 4% between 2nd and 3rd... otoh, the gap between 3rd and 4th would be -1%, in other words, a closer spread than stock, maybe thats what Daryl is aiming for when using the word shorter, but the more correct term might be Closer spread between 3rd and 4th than stock spread..

but, what good does it do to make 3rd taller, and 4th taller too, than stock, when the OP already has tires that are making his gearing 7% taller than stock, evenly through all the gears, using stock spread between them..

My vote is do NOT install the 1.18, nor the .82, stay with STOCK 3rd and 4th.

ps, what brand and model 205x65x16 tire is the OP running? The only one I can find that is properly load rated is the Continental VancoWinter, load range D, revs per mile 787 (4% taller than stock), not 761...

you can basically change all your gears to be shorter than your current tire, by changing tires.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know how the 2.2 Subaru torque curve compares to the Zetec, but I am very happy with the stock gearing in my '91 Multi with a 2.2 and an automatic. Lots of zip around town and it pulls our hilly terrain with easy. The easy revving Suby is quite happy at 70mph on the freeway and I see little need to try and force the bread box any faster.

I would question with both the Suby and the Zetec the wisdom of trying to slow the engine down. Both of these engines when installed in a Vanagon are going to be seeing heavier average loads than they would just pushing a small car around. The little bit one might gain in top speed and gas mileage by going to a longer rear end would more than likely be offset by head gasket loses and other engine problems.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, the larger tires are already a gearing problem for that Zetec engine and the gearing should be shifted the other way if anything. But I don't get why you would red flag 10% taller as that is just an arbitrary number and nothing makes 9.5 fine and 10.5 a problem. Any gearing change must be evaluated in context and a strong 2.1 wbx has close to the same power as a Zetec until 3500 rpm where the Zetec pulls way ahead quickly. Putting 7% taller tires on a Zetec will result in a vehicle performance about like a stock 2.1 vehicle with stock tires, until engine rpms exceed about 3500. Then the added power of the Zetec begins to exceed the loss due to the taller tires and above 4000 it far surpasses the 2.1 wbx. Gearing a 4 speed with Zetec to cruise at 3500 rpm or below is probably making a mistake IMHO. Just look at the Bostig dyno comparison chart on this page, under "Benefits" and then "Wide Torque Band".

http://www.bostig.com/products/bostig-20/why-bostig

Mark

Jon_slider wrote:
Before doing any transaxle regearing, you MUST take into account the tire size. The OP said his tire is

> Rev/Mile: 761

that is 7% taller than stock, just from the tires

> put in a taller 1.18-3rd and a LOWER .82-4th gear

first a .82 is NOT lower than a .85, its taller, by 3.5% and the 1.18 is also taller, by 3.7%

so with a 761 rotaion tire, and the 1.18 3rd and .82 4th your gearing will be
1st 7% tall
2nd 7% tall
3rd 11% tall RED FLAG anything over 10% tall
4th 10% tall

My opinion, dont change the gears if you run tires that are already 7% tall. The only real way to deal with big wheels, is to change the ring and pinion. NONE of the gear changes we are discussing are shorter, they are ALL taller........ ..........
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Putting 7% taller tires on a Zetec will result in a vehicle performance about like a stock 2.1 vehicle with stock tires, until engine rpms exceed about 3500. Then the added power of the Zetec begins to exceed the loss due to the taller tires and above 4000 it far surpasses the 2.1 wbx. Gearing a 4 speed with Zetec to cruise at 3500 rpm or below is probably making a mistake IMHO
[/quote]

I agree, my Syncro has bigger tires and I can feel the difference from driving my buddys 2wd w/ stock tires.
I do not need a speed machine, though, cruises nice at 65, anything faster really kills my mpg

I talked with Brady about this and he mentioned that once the Zetec receivecs a TURBO, bigger wheels will help the power curve with out needed regearing
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Gearing and tires Reply with quote

There is a wide range of 3rd gear ratios (1.09, 1.14, and 1.18 ... and the two stock 1.23 and 1.26.

The reason for going with a taller 3rd is, if and when, you need to down-shift on a hill (due to any number of reasons), there will be "enough gearing" to keep the vehicle at speed or with the ability to actually accelerate. The stock 3rd gear, especially the 1.26 will max-out the RPMs with considerable scrafice in speed. Sure, there will be an increase in "skip" from 2nd to 3rd over the stock gearing.

As I recall, the stock tire for the Vanagon is a 185/75/14 which rotates 809 revolutions per mile. A 205/75/15 rotates 744 revolutions per mile.

So, in my application (4.57 R&P and .77 4th) the difference in RPMs with the two different size tires to maintain 65 mph is roughly 250 (2850 vs 3100).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearing and tires Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
There is a wide range of 3rd gear ratios (1.09, 1.14, and 1.18 ... and the two stock 1.23 and 1.26.

The reason for going with a taller 3rd is, if and when, you need to down-shift on a hill (due to any number of reasons), there will be "enough gearing" to keep the vehicle at speed or with the ability to actually accelerate. The stock 3rd gear, especially the 1.26 will max-out the RPMs with considerable scrafice in speed. Sure, there will be an increase in "skip" from 2nd to 3rd over the stock gearing.

As I recall, the stock tire for the Vanagon is a 185/75/14 which rotates 809 revolutions per mile. A 205/75/15 rotates 744 revolutions per mile.

So, in my application (4.57 R&P and .77 4th) the difference in RPMs with the two different size tires to maintain 65 mph is roughly 250 (2850 vs 3100).

A 185R14 which has about an 82 aspect ratio is going to be a little taller than a 205/70R14. Probably actually closer to a 215/75R14, which turns about 780 revolutions per mile.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Gearing and tires Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
AndyBees wrote:

A 185R14 which has about an 82 aspect ratio is going to be a little taller than a 205/70R14. Probably actually closer to a 215/75R14, which turns about 780 revolutions per mile.

Actually, I have been using one of the on-line tire size calculators .... just part of that "on-paper" info that hopefully turns out to be very similar to the real world when applied.

My comments on the issue of upgrading the tranny or not, is based on my on application ..... VW TDI Diesel Engine.

So, I do admit, my application is quite different than the gasser upgrades. I'm just glad there are tire size options to consider.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: gearboxes Reply with quote

I think that the TDI engine is a perfect application for a 5 speed gearbox.
Check out the link below for all of the gearboxes commonly used for vanagons in various configurations in Europe. I think that a 3H or even better an APP with a diesel bellhousing would be an ideal gearbox for a westy with a good TDI powering it.
PM me
http://www.t3-infos.de/images/T3-Getriebe.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Gearing and tires Reply with quote

And Bees wrote:

The reason for going with a taller 3rd is, if and when, you need to down-shift on a hill (due to any number of reasons), there will be "enough gearing" to keep the vehicle at speed or with the ability to actually accelerate. The stock 3rd gear, especially the 1.26 will max-out the RPMs with considerable sacrifice in speed. Sure, there will be an increase in "skip" from 2nd to 3rd over the stock gearing.

And Bees wrote:

My comments on the issue of upgrading the tranny or not, is based on my on application ..... VW TDI Diesel Engine.

So, I do admit, my application is quite different than the gasser upgrades. I'm just glad there are tire size options to consider.

Right! My comments on the gap between 2nd and 3rd were definitely made toward the gas engine application and more specifically, a gas engine that has a nice broad torque band. A Zetec motor will be plenty happy running along at higher RPMs for the durations needed when 4th might be just a hair too tall to pull the van without lugging the engine. I don't think that anyone who has a healthy, well maintained engine would ever see any accelerated wear issues associated with this. Fuel mileage would not be ideal when running at freeway speeds in 3rd gear, but for the usually short durations that you do so, I don't think that the deficit will be all that great. Just my opinion.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> I don't get why you would red flag 10% taller

Its my rule of thumb, based on conversation with Warren Chapman. We both agreed that a 215x75x15 BFG TA KO on a Westy Syncro powered by a 2.1 wbx is not a happy experience for those of us who need freeway performance. That BFG is 9% taller than stock, hence the rule of thumb.

I also did a lot of research on gearing for a TDi, asking people including Karl Mullendore, David Marshall, Tom Sinclair, as well as several of his customers, about their satisfaction with various tire and gearing combinations. The concensus was that 6% tall is fine, especially if there is over 200ft lbs of torque, such as in a TDi (accounting for 1000rpm lower power band in a tdi)

And my personal experience with 5% taller than stock tires, on a syncro westy powered by 2.2 subaru, is that there is good power at sea level, but not above 7000 feet, where there is a 21% power loss. The 2.2 Subaru makes slightly more power than the Zetec btw.

Since I use my westy syncro to go skiing a lot, I would not use 10% tall tires. otoh, many people with 215x75x15 tires on a syncro, not always a westy, and not always with just a waterboxer, are happy, especially at sea level, as recently reported by SC Surfer from Baja Smile
WBX man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: gearboxes Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
I think that the TDI engine is a perfect application for a 5 speed gearbox.
Check out the link below for all of the gearboxes commonly used for vanagons in various configurations in Europe. I think that a 3H or even better an APP with a diesel bellhousing would be an ideal gearbox for a westy with a good TDI powering it.
PM me
http://www.t3-infos.de/images/T3-Getriebe.pdf

Actually TDI conversions needs a taller transmission than the 3H and APP.
Normally i europe 5th gear is changed to 0.74
( http://www.vw-winkler.de/product_info.php/info/p222_Neuheit---Schaltrad-5--Gang-0-744.html )

and the R&P to 29/7
( http://www.vw-winkler.de/product_info.php/info/p88_Differential-29-7.html)

My recent projects:
http://www.t3nettet.dk/viewtopic.php?p=6342#6342
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: gearboxes Reply with quote

I agree with your assessment of the 3H and AAP gearboxes. I was simply giving the stock gearboxes. I think it s neat to play around with the gearing and tire size calculator mentioned earlier to come up with the "ideal" combination of R&P and final gearing for the engine that one has and the driving that one does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WBX man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very good transmission calculator designed for Vanagons.
You can choose from all stock transmissions + a few Renault conversions + porsche conversions.

download it here:
http://www.t3nettet.dk/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&...e+beregner

screenshot:

[img] http://www.t3nettet.dk/PNphpBB2-download-id-8790.html [/img]

(why is the picture not showing?)

My recent projects:
http://www.t3nettet.dk/viewtopic.php?p=6342#6342
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: DK performance graph for gearing mod Reply with quote

Notice the gear ratio of each gear ... the Ring and Pinion is the DK 4.57:1, 091 tranny.

This graph shows the RPM and MPH for each gear. And, you can see the RPM and MPH drop at each shift. Start at the bottom with 1st gear and look at each gear's curve. Also, notice that I have used a little different top RPM for each gear over the previous (1st-2900, 2nd-3000, 3rd-3200 and a cruising rpm of about 2840 at 65 mph). The TDI engine will rev easily to 4000 and red-lines at 4500.

Notice there is a 1500 RPM drop when shifting to 2nd gear. Then there is a 1400 RPM drop shifting to 3rd gear. And, finally, there is only an 1100 RPM drop shifting to 4th gear.

With peak torque at about 1900 RPMs in a TDI engine, 2100 RPM on the bottom end of 4th gear will not be too bad. It should pull away fairly good.

The data in this graph is based on using 205/75/15 tires. If a few more RPMs are needed, 14 inch tires will bring the RPMs up to about 3000 at 65 mph.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by AndyBees on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Zetec engine's performance:

HP: 130 at 5300rpm
Torque: 135 at 4500rpm
Redline: 6750rpm

Using a stock air cooled ring and pinion, 4.57 with the following gears, 3.78, 2.06, 1.26, .852 shifting at 5300 rpm you should see these results and your tire size.
RPM drop shifting to second 2888 rpm
RPM drop shifting to third 3242 rpm
RPM drop shifting to forth 3584 rpm

So looking at the Zetec performance, Max torque is at 4500 rpm? Using even stock gears each shift is dropping the rpm well below the max torque rpm. Going with "taller" gears will aggravate this even more. In an ideal world, your gearing should be better matched to your max torque regardless of engine type during upshifts. I'd have to see the actual torque curve to comment more. If the torque curve is relatively flat say from 2800 to 4500 it should be fine.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
Quote:
Zetec engine's performance:

HP: 130 at 5300rpm
Torque: 135 at 4500rpm
Redline: 6750rpm

Using a stock air cooled ring and pinion, 4.57 with the following gears, 3.78, 2.06, 1.26, .852 shifting at 5300 rpm you should see these results and your tire size.
RPM drop shifting to second 2888 rpm
RPM drop shifting to third 3242 rpm
RPM drop shifting to forth 3584 rpm

So looking at the Zetec performance, Max torque is at 4500 rpm? Using even stock gears each shift is dropping the rpm well below the max torque rpm. Going with "taller" gears will aggravate this even more. In an ideal world, your gearing should be better matched to your max torque regardless of engine type during upshifts. I'd have to see the actual torque curve to comment more. If the torque curve is relatively flat say from 2800 to 4500 it should be fine.

From Bostig's site:

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, that is helpful. Interesting how the torque drops down from 3000 rpm and does not return until 3600 rpm. Over all aside from that dip, the torque is fairly flat from 2500 rpm out to the max. Seeing that, I would not be too concerned about using the stock gearing. The consensus seems to be to stick with the stock gearing for now. Once you have logged some real miles, you can address your gearing. I don't know you, but I can't see where you would be shifting at 5300 rpm very often. That is screaming. mark
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that dip is interesting, but that chart is of an actual Bostig conversion in a Vanagon, so it could be an anomaly.

From Bostig:
"Note: This is the chassis dyno (real world, not factory crank or estimated HP) readout of our finalized Zetec setup vs. a very healthy stock 2.1 waterboxer. Notice the dramatic size and area difference of the Zetec torque curve(red) as compared to the waterboxer(orange). Also note that the Zetec makes more power(green) than the waterboxer(blue) everywhere in the power band, and when the boxer starts to fall off, the zetec continues to pull, which is what gives each gear much longer legs(much larger range of usable speed in each gear)."

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, I am not familiar with this setup. Are they using a carb or FI? Based on the pull, I am guessing they need to adjust the fuel or timing in that rpm range to reduce that dip. Looks like an awsome replacement for a gasser. mark
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: DK 091 Tranny innards, 4.57:1 Reply with quote

This is the innards of the 091 tranny with the 4.57:1 Ring and Pinion, 1.14 3rd, and .77 4th gears.

Notice the old gears and their finer teeth!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: