Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Judge my heads
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Judge my heads Reply with quote

Hi.

These heads are from the first motor I had in the bus - that the PO sold me with it. im not sure that this engine was original to the bus....any way to find out?

anyhow, i noticed these heads have a ventilation connection. whats that for? if I recall I ran this engine with them blocked.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aahhh, memories. I remember the day it died, I had just reassembled it and was heading to school. started losing power. then smoke started coming out the vents. then we pulled over and i dont think it would start again, cant remember. i took it apart, noticed a bit of scoring on the pistons. this time around, (like the other day) I noticed the big galley plug is pushed out...i wonder if thats what killed it? this motor sat for 10 years and I'm sure that water didnt get in a push it out...

anyhow, how do these look? Very Happy

whats the best way to assess their condition?

thanks guys,

kris.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 411 had a flow thru ventilation system, hence the ports in the rocker boxes.

The best way to access the condition of the heads is to take or send them to some one who know what to look for.
boxxcar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: head condition Reply with quote

I don't know about all conditions. basic sealing of valves might be revealed by pouring a light solvent-mineral spirit into each port towards the valve in question. the holding the head up and seeing how fast fluid seeps through.

after this removing valves-which involves valve spring compressor seeing if the seats stay put etc.

but the solvent would be an easy diy to start with.

hope this helps
/Eric
maximan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: head condition Reply with quote

boxxcar wrote:

after this removing valves-which involves valve spring compressor seeing if the seats stay put etc.

What do you mean "if the seats stay put"? If the seats were not staying put, the valve would have hammered it into a nothing long ago, and you would see a large gap between the valve and the place where the seat should have been.
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys,

huh, 411 heads. wonder how these got here... are they pretty much interchangeable with regular 1700 bus engines? actually, given that my current block is a W, these probably would suit it fine? weird. they didnt come off a W block. it was a AE or AW or something

were would this ventilation go? maybe i'll check the 411 index.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it takes a trained eye and it isn't something that can be assessed by a photo. I can't wiggle a valve stem from here or look for hairline cracks etc. Also you need to know the history on them to know if the PO had new seats put in them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: