Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Problem please help before i have to sell her
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Engine Problem please help before i have to sell her Reply with quote

I have a 69 bus with a 1600 upright engine. I get a loud nocking when the bus is running. I was told that this may be a problem woth the rod. What can i do to find out what is wrong with my bus as well as if the engine needs to be rebuilt? Please help...i still live with my parents while i go to college and they that I have to get rid of the bus if i dont get it running in the next few days.
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Engine Problem please help before i have to sell her Reply with quote

could be a number of things. i had loud knocking once that resulted in a busted crank and a torn up case, and i also had a loud knocking that resulted in a striped nut that holds the rocker assembly on. to rule out the rocker arm , take off the valve covers and look at the assembklys and make sure the bolts are tightend down properly. if its not that, you will most likely need a rebuild, as far as i know. maybey some one else has more info.
lc
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Engine Problem please help before i have to sell her Reply with quote

Thanks, another other ideas of what to check would also be a great help.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Engine Problem please help before i have to sell her Reply with quote

One method sometimes used to pinpoint the source of a knock is using a long socket extension as a stethoscope. With the engine running (be EXTREMELY careful where you put your hands, head, clothing, etc.), place one end of the extension against the case itself and the other to your ear. Again, be CAREFUL. By placing the extension in contact with various strategic places on the case, you may be able to determine if the knocking is coming from a rod. I have a '79 Fuel Injected, so I haven't tried this on a '69, but I hope this can help. Good Luck!

Cheers,
Richard
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Engine Problem please help before i have to sell her Reply with quote

Where exactly should I hold the socket extention on the engine?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Engine Problem please help before i have to sell her Reply with quote

What I often do is use a section of hose, fuel size or larger as a makeshift stethescope, all you are looking to do is transfer the sound to your ear from a portion of the engine. Place the end of the hose around different places within you engine ie. on top of the different cylinders, the case valve covers and listen to see if you can track down where the specific noise is coming from. This will help you to determine where your problem is originating. Also check your timing, if it is too far retarded the engine will make a knocking noise, if it is too far advanced your engine will make a pinging noise. This could be your problem. good luck.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Engine Problem please help before i have to sell her Reply with quote

After a rebuild I had a horrible knocking noise. I made an audio tape of the noise and took it around to several shops. All of them said "rod knock".
I decided to look over the valves one more time and discovered that a lock nut on a valve had loosened. Adjusted the valves and no more knocking.
May you be so lucky!

Larry in OB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Engine Problem please help before i have to sell her Reply with quote

Thanks I will try this today, also If i do need a rebuild and you know somebody with a cheap motor please let me know asap. Also any other help or ideas wold be greate.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: