Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper Switch & Motor Wiring
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregorio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Wiper Switch & Motor Wiring Reply with quote

So yesterday I decided to tackle my windshield wipers from parts that I've gathered over the past year or two. My car is actually a baja that I've been building up, so there was no existing wiring, etc.

Anyways, I opened up the motor and cleaned out all of the old grease. Re-greased it and wired it up without installing it to test the motor. However, I noticed that it would only run correctly when I grounded it to the vehicle (by touching the motor to the body). I've done a number of searches here and read that the motor is grounded through the switch, so I have the switch ground going to the brass ground strip where the motor connects to the body.

After installing everything, I turn on the ignition and the motor moves and causes the wipers to move about 1/4", no matter if the 2-speed dash switch is on or off. Can someone point me in the right direction here? I have a feeling it's something to do with how I'm grounding everything.

My parts: 2-speed dash mounted wiper switch, SWF 12V 2-speed motor

Thanks,

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motor is not grounded through the switch. It grounds to the body. The additional ground terminal going from the switch to the motor is for the self-parking circuit.

The bottom diagram here shows the wiring for the wiper, note the ground on the wiper motor:
-Andy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gregorio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification, Andy.

I noticed that the ground on the motor doesn't have a terminal like the others; does this mean that the motor grounds itself where it connects to the body, or am I supposed to run a ground wire to one of the small screws above the 31 on the motor?

Thanks!

Greg
Gregorio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may have found my issue; one of my wiper shafts was broken in half which was causing everything to bind up I believe. I'm gonna order a kit to replace both wiper shafts and give it a go.

Greg
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never did ask what year wiper rack/motor you have here. Up to like 1969 the motor grounds to the rack, then there was a copper tab that flipped up over the grommet the 10mm-head bolt goes through to mount the rack to the body, that was the ground path on those. Later they had a dedicated 31 terminal for a ground wire.

-Andy
Gregorio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a '69 motor I believe which has the brass grounding tab that sits below the motor where it mounts under the hood. I'll get those shafts replaced and I think she'll be ready to roll.
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: similar problem Reply with quote

glutamodo, I seem to have a similar problem with my 79 wipers. I cannot get my wipers to work at all. It seems that there are extra wires and I do not know how to hook them up. I also think that I have a grounding issue. Do you have any experience with 79's? Thanks.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1979 the intermittant wiper option became standard on US convertibles. But it never made it into the factory wiring diagrams. I've never messed with that setup on a Bug before. I do think it is similar to what they used on other models around that time. It's probably similar to what you find in the 1980 Vanagon wiring diagram, which is here: (click on the photo to enlarge)

Then again, it might not be, as the vanagon had that electric washer pump that was part of the system.

-Andy
pafree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a simple diagram that might help you wire the motor.

79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the diagrams. I have the diargam for my car which I got from samba. In a nutshell here is what I have done:

1. tested relay by connecting 12v to terminal 15 on relay and 31 to ground. It began clicking so I know that it is good.
2. green wire (53e) from SWITCH hooked directly to motor.
3. black wire (53) from SWITCH hooked directly to motor.
4. black and yellow wire (53b) from SWITCH hooked directly to motor.
5. brown wire ground (31) from motor to grounding block behind dash.

Now here is the problem........I have an additonal 4 wires that I cannot figure out how they hook up.

There are two wires coming from the SWITCH, a solid black and a brown/black wire. And from the MOTOR there is another solid black wire and a black and grey wire (53a) which I believe is the power source.

I know that the black and grey wire (53a) hooks into the #10 fuse but all of my terminals are full with other wires.

How many wires are supposed to be connected to the relay???????

I really appreciate all of your help. Sorry for the long explanation, but I never thought 4 wires could be so confusing.
Gregorio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm much further along but still hung up a bit. When I install the wiper assembly, tighten everything down, the passenger side seems to bind up or hit the body above the wiper shaft. If I completely remove the assembly and test it outside of the vehicle, it works great.

I notice that on the wiper shafts there are nuts and stops, is there a specific distance that these need to be set to in order for everything to work properly?

Thanks!

Greg
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The relay has five wires, The black/gray is hot when the key is in the on position and goes to terminal 15 on the relay. The brown/ blk goes to terminal S on th relay. The black wire from the switch goes to 53s and the black wire from the motor goes to 53m on the relay. You should have a ground wire (brown) that goes to terminal 31. Do you see were the relay plugs in and the wires go? Makes me wonder why those wires are not pluged in to the terminal box above the fuse panel.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
It's probably similar to what you find in the 1980 Vanagon wiring diagram,
Then again, it might not be, as the vanagon had that electric washer pump that was part of the system.

-Andy

Nah The Vanagons used the later postive feed intermittent system, Air cooled VWs used a negative feed,

I did an article on aussieveedubbers on how to fit the later watercooled vw variable delay intermittent into aircooled cars but the wiring for that differs to the stock system.

Heres a diagram for the stock air cooled intermittent relay.

1965mt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pafree wrote:
here is a simple diagram that might help you wire the motor.

This drawing is not accurate.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: