Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bled Brakes, How Far Should Pedal Go Down When Completed
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedygeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Bled Brakes, How Far Should Pedal Go Down When Completed Reply with quote

I just bled my 91 brakes for the first time (my first try not the brakes first time), had to do 2x due to air when spotter didn't tell me fluid was low.
Took it out for a spin after and pedal goes down about 1/3 way to floor (a few inches) before totally firm, what would be ideal after bleeding brakes for stock set up?
mike boland Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bled Brakes, How Far Should Pedal Go Down When Completed Reply with quote

speedygeorge wrote:
I just bled my 91 brakes for the first time (my first try not the brakes first time), had to do 2x due to air when spotter didn't tell me fluid was low.
Took it out for a spin after and pedal goes down about 1/3 way to floor (a few inches) before totally firm, what would be ideal after bleeding brakes for stock set up?

First thing you should do is adjust the rear shoes. its kind of a pain in ass as its hard to see in the adjuster hole. its up there on upper middle of the backside of the backing plate, adjust them till there is slight drag on the wheels,(you don't need any special tools a screw driver will work but I find 90 degree brake spoon to work well.) then do the emergency brake cable adjustment. after finish that do bleeding again.. pedal should be much better. How much depends on thickness of your shoes / pads and if the rear drums or front rotors are worn.

My 1991 has good solid pedal. but I have new shoes / drums / pads & rotors as well as drums adjusted / emergency brake cable adjust.

another thing to consider id age of the rubber brake hoses. when they get old they "expand" inside like a balloon, but you don't see it outside the hose... I have a new stainless steel braided brake lines, but haven't gotten around to installing them yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: