Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone in need of a good antenna?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Anyone in need of a good antenna? Reply with quote

I installed a stereo in our Vanagon yesterday, found the antenna was in bad condition....would not lock onto to any stations. Anyhow I was going to buy it from OE today, but I think they are closed. Well, I got onto GW's site and found the same Hirschmann antenna on sale for $14.95. Good deal in my book!
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rkymtnrider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty cool. Seems like a solid replacement for original at a good price too. Out of curiosity has anyone replaced their antenna with a non telescoping/flexible version?

Craig Kelly is my copilot
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkymtnrider wrote:
That's pretty cool. Seems like a solid replacement for original at a good price too. Out of curiosity has anyone replaced their antenna with a non telescoping/flexible version?

I've seen a couple up here on a few Vanagons. Those thick rubber ones. I can't say how they work, but for those who drive off road a lot, I could see them being a good idea. As a matter of fact, I just looked across the street and my neighbors Vanagon Westy has one. I have driven her Vanagon and the reception is good for here, where we are surrounded by mountains.

It looks like this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rkymtnrider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, that's a rugged looking one for sure. I was thinking of one of the ones that are solid and about 3 feet or so long. The old school non-telescoping kind. Are all antennas a standard thread pattern or is it vehicle specific?

Craig Kelly is my copilot
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaceful warrior wrote:
rkymtnrider wrote:

I've seen a couple up here on a few Vanagons. Those thick rubber ones. I can't say how they work, but for those who drive off road a lot, I could see them being a good idea. As a matter of fact, I just looked across the street and my neighbors Vanagon Westy has one. I have driven her Vanagon and the reception is good for here, where we are surrounded by mountains.

It looks like this

I had that style on my Bay Bus - worked great - no loss of reception at all. I would have put one like that back on my westy - but went the hirshman route too. easy to install with the light removed.

Paul
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that it matters much or even at all but the Hirschmann antenna I got from Go-Westy had a Made in China sticker on it. Little bastard crack monsters used to break off my antenna to make a crack pipe out of it.

Replacing antennas at least 3 times a year got to be time consuming not to mention costly.

The Hirschmann put an end to that nuisance from assholes with no sense.
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a power antenna? Or a roof top antenna like a new GTI? Any one ever do that?
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpinthepack wrote:
What about a power antenna? Or a roof top antenna like a new GTI? Any one ever do that?

Power antenna would be great, especially now that I know where all the hot/ignition hot connections are on the back of the fuse panel....Thanks to Tencent and Bentley and a multimeter. Could not find one to fit the Vanagon, though there are probably some out there. Would not want a rooftop antenna, for those times when you drive into covered parking.... Laughing
TOOB Member #15
Brian
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCB wrote:
Not that it matters much or even at all but the Hirschmann antenna I got from Go-Westy had a Made in China sticker on it. Little bastard crack monsters used to break off my antenna to make a crack pipe out of it.

Replacing antennas at least 3 times a year got to be time consuming not to mention costly.

RCB, I don't understand. The Hirschmann you were getting were made in China, but your last sentence say that the Hirschmann put an end to that problem......so what exactly are you stating. The ones that GW is selling can be fully retracted, and I thought all Hirschmann's were made in Germany. Are they farming out as we do.........doubt it, but?
TOOB Member #15
Brian
idahoskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a flexible one from Radio Shack for $12.99 and it works great. Better reception than any other car I own. Of course it does not stay straight, esp at 80 mph Very Happy, because its a foam core but I can easily bend it any way I want to make it work out.

RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaceful warrior wrote:
RCB wrote:

RCB, I don't understand. The Hirschmann you were getting were made in China, but your last sentence say that the Hirschmann put an end to that problem......so what exactly are you stating. The ones that GW is selling can be fully retracted, and I thought all Hirschmann's were made in Germany. Are they farming out as we do.........doubt it, but?

The Hirschmann antenna I got from Go-Westy 251-035-503 OEM back in 12-31-07 had a Made in China sticker on it. I too thought the antenna was going to be one made in Germany since OEM means original equipment manufacturer.

The antenna works just fine and it does fully retract .... if you retract it too much so as you cant grab it to pull it up...not to worry .. you get a small key that you can insert into the groove at the top of the antenna itself and by applying a bit of pressure to the left or right you can pull it up a bit to get a better hold on it.
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone make a power retractable antenna that will fit a vanagon? That's what I'd really like.
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I replaced my original antenna with a generic solid one, I moved it inside the cab (horizontally) just above the windshield (behind the sun visors). It gets FM and AM just fine, but the shortwave reception has suffered greatly. I think I either need a longer one or I need to get it up under the luggage cap for good reception. It is nice not to have it on the "fender" though.
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

under the luggage rack is a perfect idea!! I want to get mine off the fender so it doesn't get beat up. Great idea!!
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read an ad from Tristar Eric that mentioned GTI antenna? Does anyone know about this? I think it was when he was selling an 85 Doka last year. Would like to see that one up close. I don't recall any GTI antenna from the 80s or 90s with power antenna, but maybe. But I am sure it is the newer roof top ones. Thoughts?
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Does anyone make a power retractable antenna that will fit a vanagon? That's what I'd really like."

I recall a post about this with a link to someone's web page. I'll try to find the link.
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my nice tall telescoping antennae set at about the height of the skylight. It did help me catch myself before trying to enter a garage a couple of weeks ago. I had no idea that vandals had a use for snapped antennae, thought it was senseless material violence.
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the Rubber ones and I love it works great.

$9.95
VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
Malama Ka `Aina—"Respect the Land"
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Had, Loved, Replaced Reply with quote

I had a rubber antenna, it worked great, I loved it, and Colorado's high UV utterly disintegrated it before two years were out. REALLY annoying. I have this now:

Reception might be a tad better, but it doesn't hit the garage door, and you can't make a crack pipe out of it. Rocky Mountain Westy moves the antennas to the side of the van and welds up the old hole. I like that concept.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of those on my sunroof vanagon, with age it got all saggy and crooked...sticking with good stiff steel.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: