Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why are 85's so tall up front?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
Northing's wrong with the 85, best year period.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ben, I just drool every time I see your van. Sure wish I could get my van up to you for a paint job.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hallvalla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's mine (with before and after pics):

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=362996&highlight=bilsteins
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a picture of an 85 2WD with rear syncro springs installed? What sort of ride height resulted? Do rear syncro shocks need to be installed as well to permit spring install?

TIA.
idahoskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres mine w/ springs from an 86 syncro. Bilstein HDs for 2wd installed. Ride height is 18.25" front and 19" rear. Spring compressors will help you to install the new springs, the old ones will pop out no problem without them. IIRC my rear used to sit at 16.5". More info on pg 45 of the wheel sticky.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I needed-many thanks! Looks like the Syncro springs will work to lift up the rear to match the tall fronts. I will take some measurements at home tonight to see where this will play out on my van-I like this solution better than spring spacers.

As an aside, why are you running the balljoint spacers? My 85 seems to align fine without them, but I then again I just overhauled the entire front end.
idahoskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got the van the old tires were wearing poorly. The guy I use for alignment said he could only get it to borderline spec, so I added the balljoint spacers and no problems. If I ever have the time Id love to try Loogys home alignment and see for myself. FYI the Bilstein HDs may also raise your ride height a small amount.
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I won't be getting the rear springs locally after all. Anyone have some syncro rears they would be willing to sell?
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had another question-with Syncro rear springs on a 2WD Westy, will I need to use Syncro rear shocks too? Seems like the stock 2WD shocks would be too short...
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of spending mucho coin on new syncro springs, how about just using some spring spacers to jack up the back. I used these on my 85' and they worked great.

Keep in mind if you are increasing the rar ride height you are also increasing the angles of your CV joints, which means more wear on the joints.
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

connorsvw2 wrote:
That's exactly what I needed-many thanks! Looks like the Syncro springs will work to lift up the rear to match the tall fronts. I will take some measurements at home tonight to see where this will play out on my van-I like this solution better than spring spacers.

As an aside, why are you running the balljoint spacers? My 85 seems to align fine without them, but I then again I just overhauled the entire front end.

I put Syncro.org rear springs in my 85 Westy. They settled in at around 17 inches. My front came down a tad, but was still taller in the front. So I added some Monroe shocks with helper springs. It sits at a proud 18.5 inches front and back now. Stock springs in the front. I have to upgrade shocks from the front KYBs yet. I understand the Konis will do the trick.

See posts about Saggy Butt and Koni shocks for more info.

I have the spacers. The just make things better! I have a homemade left rear spacer too. All good stuf.

FYI: I do not consider this the optimal solution. I am thinking that the H&R springs are likely better, but I wait to see what the Konis will do for me before I do anything else.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

I was able to buy used rear syncro springs for a decent price, and I like the idea of having full spring travel rather than shims to increase spring preload (like my MTB coil shocks).

Good tip about increased CV angles. Mine only have 200k miles on them Shocked

I'll try loading them up with the 2WD rear KYBs first to see if it will work. I'm looking for any excuse to toss them in the trash as-is and go Koni, but need to know if I need 2WD or Syncro rears before I buy...
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connorsvw2 wrote:
. . . and I like the idea of having full spring travel rather than shims to increase spring preload (like my MTB coil shocks). . .

how does adding a shim create preload? how do you not enjoy the same amount of travel?
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps preload is not the proper term here unless the shock prevents movement of the rear trailing arm with a now-taller spring. Hopefully it does and raises up the rear of the van.

However, if I boost up the rear with non-compressible shim material, the thickness if the shim is not available for compression despite the now overall taller spring. I will have the same amount of overall travel as I had before. If I install a taller spring then I potentially benefit from the greater travel, assuming spring rates are the same. My main goal is to equal out the ends of the van and lift my Subie oil pan and loaded 4 bike rack up and out of harms way off-road, rather than lower the front to match the rear. Hopefully the Syncro springs are both taller and have a better spring rate than my current rears. If not, I wasted $75 for 2 rear springs and I get to post them on the Samba...
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have carat springs and my nose is low by a little bit.

I'd like to know why Ben thinks '85 is best ? pride ? or is there something you know from taking lots of them apart ? my doka is an 85.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late 85 and on are all basically the same except colors. The 1.9 is weak but long lasting vs the somewhat more powerful and self destruction prone 2.1. I got an 85 because that what was available at the time. Seems OK enough, especially going to the Suby. You have all what you need with out the costly appeal of the later models. I am used to my tan interior.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally getting around to try installing syncro rear springs in my 85 Vanagon Wolfsburg edition, in an effort to level out the ride with my heavier Subaru engine back there.

I **think** that from previous postings people are running standard 2WD rear shocks in combination with the Syncro springs, no? I've got crummy KYBs back there now, and if this does not work I'll probably pop for Konis but I'd like to be sure I order the proper shocks (2WD vs Syncro).

Thanks in advance.
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed the Syncro rear springs this weekend. Definitely needed a spring compressor, but it was a tight fit even with a Macpherson strut-style compressor from Autozone.

Funny to see it sitting rear-high/nose down after looking at it nose-up for the past 17 years. My Subaru pan now has lots of ground clearance! Even with my full weight on the rear bike rack it hardly settles at all; springs were from a non-Westy syncro-must have a heck of a spring rate, and were noticeably thicker than the springs I pulled out.

The rear shocks seem fully extended and have poor rebound control over bumps (they did before the change out as well)-KYB 2WD shocks. Guess I better look at something else for the rear. Any reason I cannot install Syncro rear shocks?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro rear shocks will be longer and you will need to watch your CV joint angles closely.
you can upgrade yoru CVs to VW 411/412 VW Thing or Porsche 944 CVs for improved angle allowances.
you could run a rear suspension limit strap to help in not autodestructing yoru CV joints.
it's not as much an issue on level straight line driving. but any off kilter or fast turns will make them clack... and not for very long.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to pull them back off. I'm not really digging the nose down look any more than the previous nose-up look, and I'm not sure I can even get my canoe up there now. Measured from wheelhousing lip, front is 17" and rears now 18.5". Guess I'll list the spings in classifieds and try the cutting board spacer approach-seems cheap and easily reversible.
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled out the Syncro rear springs and installed 3 spacers made of the poly cutting board, total thickness is 1", each side. I'm now much better balanced, about 18" front and rear. Combined with my new 15" wheels the van looks level and much better overall, never mind with better looking driveshaft angles.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: