Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

shifter linkage issues *NOW totally resolved*
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
If I understand right you moved piece number 4a towards the drivers side of the vehicle?

I have been having some tranny issues for a while and while they appear to be internal issues I want to try everything possible before I pull it and have it opened up.

that is exactly correct. after the other adjustments were made, that one little thing was the only difference in being able to shift into first and second without having to hunt around in the reverse lockout area....

parishollow - im glad that worked for you. what I love the most is that your first and then followup posts were only 5 minutes apart from each other!
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
parishollow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While finding the gears is easier now I still get stuck in reverse. I have to pull hard back on the lever, let out the clutch, maybe a slight grinding, clutch back in and then it will come out of reverse. I am still not sure how to fix this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless reverse is any different in my aircooled trans Vs yours, one thing you *could* try is to shorten up the front shift rod just a hair.

crawl under your van, follow the rear shift rod forward a bit until you find that clamp. I marked the front shift rod where it mates with the rear before loosening the clamp so I could get back to 'zero' if I had to...
loosen the clamp, then push the rear shift rod 1/8' over the front shift rod and tighten it back up. try not to let the front shirt rod rotate, which shouldn't happen if you don't loosen the clamp too much. I put a vice grips on the front shift rod before I loosened the clamp so I could watch to see if it turned when I was making this adjustment.

my theory is that by shortening it up just a hair, you won't be pushing up and into reverse (as well as first and 3rd) quite as far, which hopefully will still get you nice and firmly into gear but not so far that it hangs up and gets you stuck.
parishollow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Chris, I will give that a go when the ice goes away perhaps tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswagatron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am also working on changing the ball and sockect joint at the trans.how the heck do you get the rool pin knocked out to change the socket piece.i bent 2 20penny nails trying..any tips..
parishollow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: I used Reply with quote

I used a punch. I guess its a bit harder than a nail. You could try PB
Blaster to loosen it up.
volkswagatron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i did just try pb blaster and a allenhead socket to get it started and finally got it..for sure never been removed..thanks guys and the samba.com
volkswagatron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just installed vancafe shift lever kit and all is back to normal.
Yellow Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I failed miserably when trying to follow instructions on adjusting the shifter in my 81 Vanagon. We just examined it, used trial and error, and got it working right. Sadly I made the mistake of using thick Lucas transmission fluid crap that makes it very hard to shift cold weather. I have the proper weight oil in the van now... I just need actually to put it in the transmission instead of the cabinet under the sink. I've been unmotivated since it is shifting fine in the warmer weather.
kenwilfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Transmission linkage Reply with quote

If anyone needs it I have brand new shifter parts for the 80-83 Vanagon in stock. I have my own brand new guide pins made, I also have new rear bushings, new rear boots and new shift levers in stock (I only have two new shift levers). The shift levers are NOS. If you are interested let me know.
Here is a picture of the guide pins we have
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
We are selling them for $110, the boots for $19, the bushing for $9 and the shift lever for $199. I have a front shifter rebuild kit for $99.
John 3:16
www.vanagain.com
856-327-4936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would answer another thread..kenwilfy , do you have plans for reproducing parts 22,21,4 on your diagram? Those are maybe even in more demand. Some of us are considering having them made. I happen to have NOS parts for them that I haven't used yet (plan to put them on this spring ) , I figure would make it easier for someone to use the parts as models to reproduce them.
kenwilfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reproducing shifter bushings Reply with quote

I don't have a source for these yet but I could talk to a friend who is involved in reproducing the plastic parts and see if he is either already doing this or is interested if he had NOS ones as guides. I'll let you know what I find out.
www.vanagain.com
856-327-4936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
kenwilfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Transmission linkage Reply with quote

I spoke with my friend and if someone has some NOS shifter bushings for the early Vanagon he would be glad to buy them off of the person in order to make reproductions. They have been doing this with several NLA Vanagon parts over the last few years but they would need to keep the NOS bushings as models so they can make the new bushings the same. If you want to help with this project please contact me and I will put you in touch with this person who is doing the reproduction work.
www.vanagain.com
856-327-4936
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: