Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What wheel is this?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagonforever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: What wheel is this? Reply with quote

I looked at every post on the wheel thread and used the search and couldn't find out where to get these.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They look a bit like Audi A4 wheels but not quite. Anybody know what these are and where to get some?

Thanks!
vanagonforever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction: I see that somebody posted a picture in the wheel thread from www.discounttiredirect.com that looks pretty close but I can't find them on that site. Any tips?
Zen Mechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the Replica Alloys E-500 wheel. Discount Tire has them for like $97 each and ET's of 25 and 37 IIRC. I researched and was about to get them but found a great deal on stock alloys.

They are 15" x7 wheels and according to one of their reps, they have a the 66mm center bore and 14mm lug holes. Gowesty uses a 15x7 with and ET25 with no spacers, but I won't get into those details....read the Wheel thread.

Buuuut...from what I researched, the ET 25 15x7 wheel should work w/o mods. Jus figure out which lugs to use with em..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to hijack the thread, but it seems like you got the answer. so now maybe someone can help me, what wheel is this? i have 4 and would love to have a 5th for my syncro. only marks i can tell are "concorde, made in france" and the ET stuff which escapes me right now. but 15 x 7

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Mechanic wrote:
Those are the Replica Alloys E-500 wheel. Discount Tire has them for like $97 each and ET's of 25 and 37 IIRC. I researched and was about to get them but found a great deal on stock alloys.

They are 15" x7 wheels and according to one of their reps, they have a the 66mm center bore and 14mm lug holes. Gowesty uses a 15x7 with and ET25 with no spacers, but I won't get into those details....read the Wheel thread.

Buuuut...from what I researched, the ET 25 15x7 wheel should work w/o mods. Jus figure out which lugs to use with em..

You are correct. I also called the local Discount Tire after finding them on the website but as expected they didn't want to be troubled with a "custom application" like a Vanagon Rolling Eyes , ...although he said off the record they should work. Everybody is so scared of getting sued these days. Mad

Zen, what size alloys did you go with? 14" or 15"
Zen Mechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are correct. I also called the local Discount Tire after finding them on the website but as expected they didn't want to be troubled with a "custom application" like a Vanagon , ...although he said off the record they should work. Everybody is so scared of getting sued these days.

Zen, what size alloys did you go with? 14" or 15"

The response was along the same lines here, though my guy recommended I watch ebay and when discounttire direct would sell sets of these wheels, free shipping and no tax....I'd do better...especially since I have a local shop that mounts stuff for me pretty cheap.

I went with stock 14" alloys, since the tires I had were basically new. I'm gonna do the e500 alloys when it is time for new tires.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
albiwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findWheel...vid=000808

So, does anyone know: would these same rims work in the 16 inch size with the 25 mm offset on a 2wd vanagon? Looking back at the "ultimate wheel post, part two," thread by Loogy, there's a real narrow range of recommended offset for a tire that is 16x7.5, which is 28-30.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a really nice wheel! So it DOES work on a Vanagon? Does anyone have a picture of a Vanagon running these? They are quite a bit cheaper than the GoWesty ones....
vanagonforever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking about the first picture that I posted then that if of them on a Vanagon. I saw them in the classified section. It was an orange 84 that was a featured article. It's a sweet looking van for sure. I LOVE the wheels.
snowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So other than the photo in the classifieds, has anyone actually tried these? The Replica Alloy E500 15X7 5-112 25SM is on the top of my list for the fall. Seems like a straight bolt-up. But of course going by the numbers are one thing and an actual posted experience are two different things. Hoping to mount these up with some Hakkapeliitta CS , but the largest they say in the 15inch is 6.5. Close enough? I bow before the accumulated knowledge....
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try emailing the seller, or calling.
snowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you see I already did that and received the same 'we have nothing to fit your vehicle' response that everyone else gets. Which is why I specifically asked if anyone here has installed them. They also don't deal with Nokian, so not very helpful there either...
Sad
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant emailing or callling the seller of the van they are on. He is a guy here in San Diego right? Maybe he could at least help you out with some answers on where he got 'em.
Zen Mechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry, I meant emailing or callling the seller of the van they are on. He is a guy here in San Diego right? Maybe he could at least help you out with some answers on where he got 'em.

Not really. I did just that and he offered me a wheel/tire package for something like 1300 bucks or close to 800 for just the wheels.

I can't blame him...since he's trying to run a business and did the legwork already.

Anyhow...when it's time for new tires I'm getting some of these wheels. We just cranked close to 2500 miles on the Westy this past week. SoCal to Yellowstone & back. No noticeable tire wear either! I'll never get those tires!

floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZM,

Yeah, I guess I can't blame him. If it was me, I would probably go with the wheels from discount tire, ET 37, get 7 mm spacers and be done with it. I can't see why the wheels wouldn't fit. For $100 you could check one rim and see if there are any suspension conflicts, then get the other 3.

Scott
nevadagold72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if these e500 replicas are avaiable at the Tire Rack? I only found 17 inch and up........
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevadagold72 wrote:
Does anyone know if these e500 replicas are avaiable at the Tire Rack? I only found 17 inch and up........

They don't have them at Tire Rack, but they are available through DiscountTireDirect's Ebay store, $444.00 total and free shipping.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
nevadagold72 wrote:

They don't have them at Tire Rack, but they are available through DiscountTireDirect's Ebay store, $444.00 total and free shipping.

Is this for the 16X7? Do they fit without modification?
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dam, I may just pony up and get these!

http://www.sportcompactonly.com/Neuspeed/Exhaust/Performance/part_c-26_b-13_p-22912.htm

16X7.5
Silver Machined
5:112, 25mm offset

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gauche1968 wrote:
joetiger wrote:
nevadagold72 wrote:

Is this for the 16X7? Do they fit without modification?

No, it was the 15x7 that I saw on Ebay.

Is anybody running these? I'd love to see what they look like mounted.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: