Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dropped Part in Conyers, GA
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morris_82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Dropped Part in Conyers, GA Reply with quote

Finally towed the van from my Father-in-law's house to mine. Unfortunately, I was a bit overzealous. I already had the engine removed, so I just stuck it in the passenger area. I also removed the torque converter. I supported the transmission with some rope (redneck, yes I know) and took off. Everything seemed very stable and all was good.

Until, that is, I stop to reassess the situation and find a questionable shaft missing from the tranny. Bentley says it's the "pump shaft" for the A/T. About 21 inches long.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SO:

1. If you see this part on Hwy 138/I-20 near Conyers, GA, give me a holler.

2. Since I don't expect to ever see it again, where is a good place to find another? (GoWesty, BusDepot, OEVeeDub, and theSamba classifieds turn up zilch)

I hope this is the last screw up I make during restoration...yeah, right.

On a better note, I have a phone consultation scheduled with Mr. Raby tomorrow night to talk about a Camper Special kit. Very excited![/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you flat tow it and were the CV's connected? If so, most likely the transmission is destroyed. Hopefully I am wrong. Can't tell you where to find the rod other than here and the vendors you mention.
Morris_82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did flat tow it...on a trailer. I was barely intelligent enough to read that here and in the Bentley beforehand. Unfortunately, my tranny is having problems for other reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy did that a few years ago. Didn't realize it til we put the motor in and the bus didn't go. Pulled the motor, found a shop with a spare shaft and got the bus going late afternoon. And this is all on a Saturday at a Buses By The Beach campout!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morris_82 wrote:
I did flat tow it...on a trailer. I was barely intelligent enough to read that here and in the Bentley beforehand. Unfortunately, my tranny is having problems for other reasons.

Good thing. Without the transmission pump running, you can burn up a VW/Audi automatic pretty quickly towing it on the ground.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are a couple of different length shafts depending on application, they all appear very similar. Make sure you get the correct length.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: