Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Slightly baffled by 3 point seat belts in the back
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Slightly baffled by 3 point seat belts in the back Reply with quote

The van needs a 3 point belt for the rear bench seat, passenger side (to attach a car seat for my 5 year old daughter.)

Being resourceful, I read various samba posts about how to best do this. Kayakwesty said that a Jetta seatbelt worked fine for him. I read too that someone pulled a passenger side front van belt and used that on the bench seat.

Being frugal, both these junkyard options of $8 each looked pretty good next to the GoWe$ty $99 model.

I found a nice belt and hardware from both a Jetta and an ’85 van from a local junkyard. The mechanism pulled and retracted smoothly when mounted in each of the donor vehicles. I unbolted both and took them home.

Initially, I tried to mount each in the “Gowesty” position, up higher on the pillar, as in this photo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This was aesthetically not as nice as in the photo below, but the mounting would be way easier as I would not have to fabricate a metal bracket with my shortage of 1/8 plate steel and metal working skills.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here‘s the problem and the thing that I find a bit baffling: the belts do not want to feed very well. The Jetta belt does not feed at all. (I’ve about given up on that.)

The Vanagon belt feeds out nicely when the mechanism is pointed up, just like on the original mounted position on the front 2 seats. But when I turn the reel slightly to one side, let alone try to mount it like in the first picture above, it locks up, and no amount of my finagling can cause it to release and feed.

Is the van seatbelt designed to work only when pointed in a certain direction, like up? If I am being a complete dumblefutz and missing something easy here, please let me know. I am almost ready to kick down for the $99 GoWesty model as this has been pretty frustrating, but let’s hope some Samba guru can save me from this fate.

If anyone has successfully used a van front passenger side 3 point belt on the rear benchseat, I’d love to hear how you made it work.

Thanks for any suggestions,
CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThorAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system that blocks the belt is very sensitive to what way you mount in. a little of from how it's supposed to mount and they don't work. After-market belts (the ones i had an my doka anyways) are adjustable to make them work in any position, but even then they were a real pain to get to work properly.

Ex-vans:
1990 Caravelle coach 1.6TD
1986 Transporter Double cab syncro 2.1 112hp

"I'm wrong so often... It's great!" - Adam Savage
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoralex,

Thanks for your reply.
Anyone else have an idea on this? KayakWesty, maybe?

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would be a little weary of getting a seatbelt out of a junkyard. I would probably bite the bullet and get a new one from GW. Your kids are too precious CJ! My $0.02 FWIW...
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Slightly baffled by 3 point seat belts in the back Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:

Is the van seatbelt designed to work only when pointed in a certain direction, like up?

Yes, that's correct. That's why a junkyard seatbelt installation usually involves mounting lower, with the belt feeding upwards in the same orientation as the car it came from.

I mounted junkyard Jetta seatbelts in my last vanagon and the project turned out well. But I spent so much time and effort going to the junkyard, then fabricating the brackets and wall panels, disassembling/reassembling, etc.

Home-brew projects are often like that: you're going to spend a lot of time and effort engineering or just wrestling with and fabricating parts. In the end sometimes it's better to spend the cash on a ready-made product.
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Slightly baffled by 3 point seat belts in the back Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:
The van needs a 3 point belt for the rear bench seat, passenger side (to attach a car seat for my 5 year old daughter.)

I have two car seats mounted at the back for my grand children and I prefer the non-retractable seat belt as they can be set very tight. After you clicked on the belt, kneel on the seat and reach to the back of the seat back cushion to get the seat belt and pull hard to tighten it.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Slightly baffled by 3 point seat belts in the back Reply with quote

stevey88 wrote:
climberjohn wrote:

I have two car seats mounted at the back for my grand children and I prefer the non-retractable seat belt as they can be set very tight. After you clicked on the belt, kneel on the seat and reach to the back of the seat back cushion to get the seat belt and pull hard to tighten it.

Works fine until they are out of car-seats and into boosters..

Then you will want 3 pointers.
And three pointers can be installed with the 2 points left in place if you find yourself occasionally taking older kids vs those in car-seats.

I think Bus Depot carries the original design belts that tuck away behind the panel ?.. or they used to.

The frame brackets can be had off of parts vehicles, too.. Have found them occasionlly listed in classifieds.

Worth the extra dough to get ones that work properly.. if for no other reason than not having to climb back there all the time to help lil johnny "click it" Embarassed

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWTWTLW wrote:
Personally, I would be a little weary of getting a seatbelt out of a junkyard. I would probably bite the bullet and get a new one from GW. Your kids are too precious CJ! My $0.02 FWIW...

Yeah, I thought about that too.

Then it occurred to me that the front seats rely on a seatbelt that's 24 years old, every time you drive that van. I'm cool with that. So, essentially there's no safety difference that I see getting a rear belt from a late 80's Jetta or another VW.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:
GWTWTLW wrote:

Yeah, I thought about that too.

Then it occurred to me that the front seats rely on a seatbelt that's 24 years old, every time you drive that van. I'm cool with that. So, essentially there's no safety difference that I see getting a rear belt from a late 80's Jetta or another VW.

Are these seat belts that you are harvesting at the yard the same as what is in your van? Meaning are they interchangable with the front seatbelts. Reason I ask is my drivers side doesn't retract very quickly and I have thought that I may swap the passenger side for the drivers side. If there are other VW's that use the same belt maybe just getting another that retracts quicker is a better option for me?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought brand new from the dealer front D/S and P/S retractors and they still retract slowly or need help. Mad

BTW. seatbelts have a little pendulum in them that locks them up when there is a sharp change in direction- as in a accident or roll over. Changing the angle of installation will make the seatbelt want to activate the engineered lock up feature also.
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The belts from the back of a carat mount right in, bracket included. A friend (pianobrooks) just put some into his van this weekend and it seemed to work great for him. Mounts inside the wall, very slick.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: