Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

good times
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: good times Reply with quote

just returned from the beautiful state of Vermont. 10 beautiful days on the road. we all fell in love with the state again and are researching a move. i was too lazy to change the solenoid out before leaving but otherwise the bus did great! Very Happy couple of push starts and jumped the solenoid with a screwdriver a few times Wink if you have kid and don't yet have a westy tent GET ONE!!!!!!! made the return trip from northern VT to northeast PA on a tank and half of fuel, i'm satisfied with that. after 9 hours on the road the dipstick was still cool enough to handle. happy wife,child and me= good times!!! hope everyone else was having fun!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

79 westy
78 westy

purveyor of refurbed westies and parts!!! inquire within!

73VwBus73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats awesome !!!
1979westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pa! Glad you had a good time! I am heading out for the North Carolina Mountains in a couple weeks for 10 days. Last summer I did the New England Route. So where did you go? See any other "campers" at your campsites?

Eric

1979 Deluxe Campmobile (quickly rusting away)
33K miles when bought, now at 61K
Proud Member #2 SBS (Stock Bus Society)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: good times Reply with quote

pawesty wrote:
after 9 hours on the road the dipstick was still cool enough to handle.

pa,

nice looking bus! and i agree about the tent. kids or no kids, you need a tent. it makes bus camping so much more comfortable.

i wanted to address your quote above:

the dipstick test does not apply to a type IV powered bus. the T4 dipstick never ever gets too hot to hold unless you engine is on FIRE! it has almost no contact with the crankcase (just the very tip of it is inside the case), unlike the T1 dipstick which is half buried in the case. it is also directly in the cooling air flow - it goes right through the fan shroud. don't use the dipstick holding test to judge oil temperature on a bus unless your engine is upright, or you'll have a false sense of security.
hansh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave. I'm very jealous of your trip. I can't wait for the day that I can take my family on a tour of VT. Being in Oregon, our problem is really just the trip to Vermont. I'd love to see any photos you took.

BTW I stumbled across Nate's aircooledtech.com tutorial on solenoid restoration the other day gave it a shot on my sticky solenoid. It seems to have been exactly what was needed. I did have to tap the solenoid for the very first start after reinstallation, but I've gone about a week without any problems at all. You probably have a bunch of good working candidates around your place, but it's an easy fix if you've never tried it.

Hans
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
where did you go? See any other "campers" at your campsites?

trip started in upstate NY, small town called Salem to visit with friends for 2 nights. on than to Burlington for a night. from there a visit to Johnson VT where i used to call home. Elmore State Park. than off to Alburg VT for a 3 day Bluegrass fest. back to Burlington for 2 more days. back to Elmore for another night. only met one other bus owner at the bluegrass fest. my only wish is we could've stayed forever Very Happy

ps: Scott, thanks for the tip!

dave

79 westy
78 westy

purveyor of refurbed westies and parts!!! inquire within!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: