Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this spongy hose
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whip618 wrote:
When the hose on my syncro started looking like that although not rotted and leaking I installed a spring inside to keep the hose from collapsing, it's worked well for about 20K miles.

Phil

A stent for vanagon breather hoses>? = life support, I like it.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
firepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this spongy hose Reply with quote

vanaguy wrote:
Timwhy wrote:
Mine has the sensor in the middle of the hose, so there are two hoses.

FYI, that's not a sensor. It's a heating element to help prevent icing.

On a slight but still related tangent..

Many general aviation piston engines are quite similar to these engines we have in our VWs. I know someone who was ferrying a Beech Bonanza across the north Atlantic in the winter, and the crankcase oil breather froze shut, about an hour out from Canada, over the atlantic.

All the oil then broke through the seal at the front of the engine at the propellor, and well that was that. He ditched it, and got some emergency radio calls out before going for a very cold swim. Got picked up by Canadian SAR, but in pretty bad shape.
EvanDJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: What is this spongy hose Reply with quote

firepilot wrote:
vanaguy wrote:
Timwhy wrote:
Mine has the sensor in the middle of the hose, so there are two hoses.

FYI, that's not a sensor. It's a heating element to help prevent icing.

On a slight but still related tangent..

Many general aviation piston engines are quite similar to these engines we have in our VWs. I know someone who was ferrying a Beech Bonanza across the north Atlantic in the winter, and the crankcase oil breather froze shut, about an hour out from Canada, over the atlantic.

All the oil then broke through the seal at the front of the engine at the propellor, and well that was that. He ditched it, and got some emergency radio calls out before going for a very cold swim. Got picked up by Canadian SAR, but in pretty bad shape.

WTH, Who knew this darn hose could be that important.
Your anecdote could really REALLY ruin one's day.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
whip618 wrote:
When the hose on my syncro started looking like that although not rotted and leaking I installed a spring inside to keep the hose from collapsing, it's worked well for about 20K miles.

Phil

A stent for vanagon breather hoses>? = life support, I like it.

When it came time to replace all brake related items, the vacuum hose from the check valve had obviously been replaced at some point in time.

What led me to believe it was not an original was that it had a copper tube inserted into a regular vacuum hose ,and the original I came to find out had wire strands incorporated in it.
strawhouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny to see this posted, I just finished putting a starter into the 91 and halfway thru the job I dropped the nut for the starter allen bolt underneath the throttle body. After taking the hoses off of the throttle body and the intake from the breather box I found that I had about a 2 inch cut running on the underside of that hose. I was able to put a 3/4 heater hose on it and it worked great. It actually even fixed a mystery problem that has been haunting me for a few weeks.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strawhouse wrote:
funny to see this posted, I just finished putting a starter into the 91 and halfway thru the job I dropped the nut for the starter allen bolt underneath the throttle body. After taking the hoses off of the throttle body and the intake from the breather box I found that I had about a 2 inch cut running on the underside of that hose. I was able to put a 3/4 heater hose on it and it worked great. It actually even fixed a mystery problem that has been haunting me for a few weeks.

This hose tends to fail on the bottom and cause "hidden" problems. That is why I say one needs to remove every hose and do a visual inspection and suction test when trying to hunt down vacuum leaks.
strawhouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
strawhouse wrote:

This hose tends to fail on the bottom and cause "hidden" problems. That is why I say one needs to remove every hose and do a visual inspection and suction test when trying to hunt down vacuum leaks.

Very true, the real sad part is when the problem first started I thought it was a hose that was leaking or drawing air. I went over the hoses and spent alot of time on it making sure I could rule out that problem... Never did find it until now
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

This sounds like really great advice. When I do my SS coolant pipe swap
I have a whole box of new hoses, T's and Tower to put in too. Got every
hose that GW sells from their +10% site to go with the SS pipes. I know
that not every hose is available now, so the ones that I did not get.
I will do the once or twice over on them, hopefully there will not be a
problem.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
SouthOlive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is scrap hydraulic hose. I just picked up what I needed from an industrial hose maker for free. Double wall construction with wire is the way to go for vaccum lines. Even came in a trick green color!
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After pulling my motor and when I removed this hose it was pinched on one end and cut on the other...it felt like wet bread I know now why the rear main is weeping after being replaced now.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing a friends' crankcase breather hose looking like it had seen better days.
I finally got around to changing mine, the hose has been sitting patiently waiting
since March to be installed. It actually takes longer to go to a parts store and get
a replacement hose for this fix to be complete. This is just one more thing that
I can check off as been done ubder my watch. Here's some pics of before and after.
My original hose didn't look bad. Nothing cut or collapsing. The OP of this thread
had a single hose where mine is in two pieces, separated by the heating element.
Could the heating elements' placement in later years save ones main seal?
I think it would be very had for these original hoses to collapse on mine where the
hose is so short from one fittinf to the next. However the eariler years' hose looks
like it has a better chance to collapse as there's a longer run to the heating element.
Must be a reason why VW changed the way the heating element was incorporated.
Before
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
After
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know exactly what hose VC is selling for the job?
Type and size?

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_721_133/breather_hose.html
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly related question: why does van-cafe include hose clamps when the stock install doesn't appear to use them, nor did the recent pics of Timwhy's work? Is theirs a bit oversized so as to require them?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perales wrote:
Does anyone know exactly what hose VC is selling for the job?
Type and size?

Can't tell you on the size without going out and pulling it off the van. The type: It appears to be a regular rubber hose (fuel? coolant?) you can buy at your local auto parts store; nothing really special to my untrained eyes.

teej wrote:
Possibly related question: why does van-cafe include hose clamps when the stock install doesn't appear to use them, nor did the recent pics of Timwhy's work? Is theirs a bit oversized so as to require them?

It actually fits just dandy. I put the clamps on mine because I didn't want extra clamps floating around (better to be right there in the engine bay, no? Laughing ), and I figured since they included them, why not put 'em on?
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Can't tell you on the size without going out and pulling it off the van. The type: It appears to be a regular rubber hose (fuel? coolant?) you can buy at your local auto parts store; nothing really special to my untrained eyes.

It actually fits just dandy. I put the clamps on mine because I didn't want extra clamps floating around (better to be right there in the engine bay, no? Laughing ), and I figured since they included them, why not put 'em on?

How thick would you say that hose is compared to the original? That coolant
hose that I replaced mine with is really rigid compared to the original, and there's
not alot of give to it. Though I didn't need a heat gun to get my new hoses on,
I don't think that they need clamps to keep them on either. I love VC but I think
that once you add up cost of hose and shipping, you can pick up one locally cheaper.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1.62 for a foot of 3/4 heater hose. No clamps required.

Luckily Tim noticed the hose in a picture on another post and now it's good for awhile.

Gowesty sells it for $19.99. If anyone wants me to send them a piece of heater hose for the repair I can do it for $17.99 plus shipping...hehe.

Brian.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern is that oil and rubber sometimes don't like each other very much. I have seen petroleum products degrade (to the point of catastrophic failure) a rubber gasket within a week. Since this hose is related to the oil system, I am concerned with compatibility in the type of rubber the hose is made from. Is heater hose rated for oil contact?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3/4" Silicone heater hose, $2.94 a foot plus shipping. Buy a hundred feet chop it up and sell it off.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VR3LKQ/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&psc=1

Last edited by Wildthings on Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
BushChicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
$1.62 for a foot of 3/4 heater hose. No clamps required.

Luckily Tim noticed the hose in a picture on another post and now it's good for awhile.

Gowesty sells it for $19.99. If anyone wants me to send them a piece of heater hose for the repair I can do it for $17.99 plus shipping...hehe.

Brian.

GW doesn't use heater hose, they use stuff that is speced correctly for the task.

Not to say heater hose wouldn't work for a little bit, but lets not compare apples to oranges, as the saying goes.

I am curious about how the silicone hose would work though...
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings speaks not with fork tongue....silicone hose is perfect for this application. Ive had a piece on my oil breather tower for a few years now and it looks as good today as the day it was installed. Once every few months Ill remove it and inspect it inside and out and it still looks brand new Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: