Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Side tents
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigfoot51102
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigsteveob wrote:
I saw this on a phone company van the other day. It has a boot(?) that connects to the van like a sully port. Anyone else seen one of these? I did a half hearted search and came up with a mfg. site, but I don't think they sell to the public. Crying or Very sad http://www.popnwork.com/index.html
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I work for the dreaded Death Star Co. The tents are great except no floor, they all leak like a seive, and close with clip and no zippers so a stiff breeze will blow thru. I thought about asking for a retired unit but decided I would have more invested in tent repair kits than I would buying a regular on with a floor.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread seems to be broadening to cover both tents and awnings, which are actually quite different and serve different purposes.

On the awning side, let me point out our Ezy-Awning, which at $119 is one of the lowest priced awnings available anywhere, and better yet is specifically designed to work with VW vans. Unike a tarp (or most other awnings, for that matter), it has a domed roof that eliminates rain sag, and with our optional mounts it can be used completely freestanding - no stakes or guy ropes at all - so you can use it on pavement or rocky ground (think tailgating). It goes up in a few minutes (with no mods to your vehicle) and packs into a small bag when not in use. With optional mounts it can also be used on non VW vehicles, on your patio, or even completely standalone as a sun shade.

Link: http://busdepot.com/details/awning.jsp

With regards to side tents, we will have a brand new tent coming this summer. I can't divulge any information just yet, but it has been two years in design and was well worth the wait. I don't mean to brag but I honestly believe that it will be the best side tent ever offered by anyone for a VW van. We also plan to offer it in a choice of colors - dark/light gray with blue trim for later Vanagons and Eurovans with gray poptop canvas, or brown/tan for earlier Vanagons and Buses with tan poptop canvas.

Last edited by Busdepot on Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought an "quick shade" from Dicks with 2 awnings.
The awnings fold in multiple positions and close to make walls.
we bought an optional 3rd wall to enclose when need be.
works great, goes from 10X10 to 10X30 in about 30 seconds.

about 200 dollars when we got it.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3537017

dbcdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_7d572sar4oQ/S5aABa1uDQI/AAAAAAAAABo/qAmZZ5Grs8g/s720/101_0924.jpg

Just used this for the first time. It did not have poles so I fabricated them out of a easy-up. This was at Saline valley where the ''W'' blows hard. One nite it was blowing into the left side at 30-45 mph and it held great. I love this tent. It takes about 30 minutes to set up or take down.
Have fun, David C
1987 syncro with westfalia inside and country home top[/img]
CurtisS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hero419 wrote:
We bought an "quick shade" from Dicks with 2 awnings.
The awnings fold in multiple positions and close to make walls.
we bought an optional 3rd wall to enclose when need be.
works great, goes from 10X10 to 10X30 in about 30 seconds.

about 200 dollars when we got it.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3537017

We did the same type of Quick Shade thing. It is very quick to set up and fits in the roof cargo area. PLus you can drive away without needing to take it down. Make sure you get a version with straight vertical legs so you can get it placed closer to your Westy.
This one was about $100.
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which brand was that?

also, Ron, does your Bus Depot item fit into the exterior roof cargo well?
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bus Depot awning rolls up the size of a small tent and fits nicely in the van. The problem I've found with the EZ Awning type tents is that they are huge and heavy. They don't fit anywhere in the van. They're too tall folded up to fit cross ways in the back of a westy. Too long to put in the rear unless the seat is folded down. The only place to put it is on top if you have a rack. They're just too big and heavy to easily take along in a Westy. The model above weighs 51 pounds.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ask because I don't know. Do a lot of vanagoners also pitch tents? I've seen some in pics. Does anyone know if I can advertise my like new tent, air matresses, etc... in these classifieds? I don't need them now and would like to get rid of them. Thanks for your help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advertise your non VW items on craigslist. You'll get a better response.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thxs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CurtisS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
The Bus Depot awning rolls up the size of a small tent and fits nicely in the van. The problem I've found with the EZ Awning type tents is that they are huge and heavy. They don't fit anywhere in the van. They're too tall folded up to fit cross ways in the back of a westy. Too long to put in the rear unless the seat is folded down. The only place to put it is on top if you have a rack. They're just too big and heavy to easily take along in a Westy. The model above weighs 51 pounds.

Actually, if you take the 10 foot Quick Shade model out of the bag it comes in and put it in a bag without the wheels, it just fits in the roof cargo area. A couple of rubber bungees across the top and it is safe and secure (ours travelled 3800 miles up there during last summer's road trip - the image BTW is from Crater Lake!). Our shade weighs no more than 30-40 pounds as I can easily put it up top without too much effort.
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:

oh she's heavy alright, it takes two of us to get it in and out of the van, and it only fits in the middle of the van sticking up a ways into the middle of the seats.

But, when we go camping, we bring everything!
With 2 young kids, our huge Thule case is full, and in the van we have 2 coolers among other things(all strapped down) and all the cabinets are full.

We don't worry about space while traveling, we unload everything when we get to our destination.
dbcdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to upload picture's of the Side Tent. Bare with me if they don'e work.

candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbcdad wrote:

get outta the way, I cant see the tent! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dbcdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one of the inside. These are great tents. We had 45 mile per hour winds one day blowing square into it and it stayed up without a problem.I wish I would have made the pole system, four years ago, when I bought this van.

Have Fun, David C
1987 Wolfsburg Daily Driver
1987 Syncro Gl_Country Homes Top_Westfalia Interior_Custom Racks front and back
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbcdad wrote:
Here's one of the inside. These are great tents. We had 45 mile per hour winds one day blowing square into it and it stayed up without a problem.I wish I would have made the pole system, four years ago, when I bought this van.

Can you give some details about your poles setup?
I have the same tent with the original poles, and while I love the tent, the original poles leave something to be desired. They are heavy, difficult to set up and do not offer adequate drainage for heavy rain. I would love to see what you have come up with.
dbcdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pearles,
I took an Easy-Up frame and took it apart to configure this set up. You have four corner sections that are connectected together by a straight piece bolted in the center to each leg piece. Legs are still adjustable up or down. I used the fiberglass pole system, for the roof, out of an older Easy-Up . I did make an extra pole for the center that would support the extra load if the wind is blowing or if it is rainning. I epoxied a bolt to the center plastic piece that the fiberglass poles set in so I can secure the leg for downward pressure and upward pressure. This worked great. This center pole was another easy-up corner pole. These are items that people throw away all the time. If you have the original pole set up with your tent you should not have a problem with the measurements.

Have Fun, David C
1987 Syncro Gl_Country Homes Top_Westfalia Interior_Custom Racks front and back[/quote]
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I luv it but what a lot of work! I guess if its for more than 1 or 2 people it is probably worth it tho. Beautiful. I'll be sticking to my tarp and 2 legs. pictures will follow. Razz Laughing
dbcdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simba'sWestyWings,
It is'nt as much work as you think. It only takes about 30 minutes to set up or take down. It was real nice having it when we stayed for 2 1/2 weeks in one place. We were able to drive off and go expolore the eastern Inyo's and spend the night away from camp . I like to have options when I go to differant places.

Have Fun, David C
1987 Syncro Gl_Country Homes Top_Westfalia Interior_Custom Racks front and back
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simba'sWestyWings wrote:
I luv it but what a lot of work! I guess if its for more than 1 or 2 people it is probably worth it tho. Beautiful. I'll be sticking to my tarp and 2 legs. pictures will follow. Razz Laughing

It is a lot of work to set up. We only use it for long term stays. Last summer we spent 2 1/2 weeks in Parc Forillon in the same campsite and really appreciated the extra space. I wouldn't bother setting it up for less than a three day stay.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: