Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Hightop Option
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith Kiernicki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered mine as well. Can't wait til it comes in. I just bought a weekender interior for my van so I'll be keeping that for a while. I really don't need a sink or stove. I would have liked the westy interior for the organizational abilities. I think I am going to do the 19-22" TV up top w an xbox. We'll see my wife is not too hip on that plan. Trying to figure out if I can duct the A/C to the front some how? That flat area in the back would be great for a solar panel! Can't wait!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: ac duct Reply with quote

In the picture below there are rectangular boxed in areas - you could run either rectangular or round ductwork from the back to the front through here towards the front and control the flow with variable closing vent ends.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lots of space to make it just the way you want it to be.
If you look at the panel to the front locker just behind my "arrows" ... that's where I'm going to mount a nice sized 12v flat screen tv - the panel will either rotate or swing out and flip so that the screen will be inside the front locker area and out of sight for security purposes when we are out of the van.
Its going to be real important for all of us to plan how we want to use the space carefully so that we run the appropriate wiring prior to insulating and finishing the interior.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zacamil7525
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to try and source a solar panel that will not only fit in that lower rear area of the roof but also provide the energy I think I am going to need. There are some good threads regarding solar panel installation. The custom interior possibilities will only be limited by ones imagination....and wallet Shocked
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone is looking for liner material. I was looking at some "bonded" material the other day. There is lots available, some easily cleaned others not so. Anything from 2" shag to denim and borg, vinyl, fault leather (don't know the spelling).

Look in the upholestry, heavy curtain liner departments of major fabric stores. The bonded materials (slim material bonded onto the fabric) certainly help in insulating. I'd prefer one that is easily cleaned (ie wiped). I found one really nice one that was actually table pad but only saw it in white. If it came in beige or tan, I'd go for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith Kiernicki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What keywords were you using to search for the insulation?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: insulation Reply with quote

Try Googling Tiger Foam and look at the low expansion version.

Last edited by J Charlton on Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't look for insulation. Didn't really mean insulation. I went out myself to various fabric/liner stores.

Ok I searched for Tiger Foam and didn't find a thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boulderdrop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got a source for those Popup-Hightops, like the Reimo one in the below pic? (sorry if I missed it in the thread, but didn't see it)..

http://westyventures.com/images/highroofs/6918_3.JPG

I love the idea of getting a hightop, but keeping the tent as an option.
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone knows how much one of these tops weighs? Is the weight difference(betwqeen this and a poptop) a big deal, as in how much more body roll do you experience, I'd like to hear from those of you who have driven/owned both. Thanks, Todd
Mundopacheco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 91 Syncro AW SVX, Westy 2wd and 4wd hardtop GL and there are trade offs. The AW does provide more body roll if the hard shell cargo holds are heavily laden, so I never load this with anything heavier than bed linen, sleeping bags, camp chairs (less than 100lbs.) It actually feels steadier than my Westy, going down the highway in a straight line, and I hear less turbulence. If there is a side wind, it's like tacking into the wind, so not so good, though it does have to be blowing pretty hard.
The hard top does better in all conditions, but you can't stand up in it, etc, etc.
I like pulling into a campsite with my AW and NOT having to pop the top, then fill the upper sleeping compartment to make room downstairs. I pull in, get level, launch the awning, swivel the front seat(s) and pop the first cork....
Still, I love them all!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: top weight and use Reply with quote

tschroeder0 wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone knows how much one of these tops weighs? Is the weight difference(betwqeen this and a poptop) a big deal, as in how much more body roll do you experience, I'd like to hear from those of you who have driven/owned both. Thanks, Todd

The top we provide weighs about 150 lbs. Insulating it and lining it, depending on what you line it with of course, adds about another 75 lbs. The westy pop top (both parts) hardware and tent total about 135lbs. but its forever non insulated and unlined.
The post above is right on with the type of "stuff" that should be stowed "up top". The light, bulky "stuff" - sleeping bags, pillows, clothing - the "stuff" that takes up a lot of space and clutters up the interior when driving is stored either up front in a "locker' or on the bed platform "up top" in the rear.
It opens up the space around the seats for corfortable uncluttered driving, especially with more than a couple of people
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info that answers just what I wanted to hear. T
Keith Kiernicki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across this van with lots of detailed pictures of the interior finish.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150419586277

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/uk-quality-c...MG7635.jpg

One of my customers does interiors for the big three. They said that they order their material at www.atrim.com. go to H for headliner.
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by HeftySmurf on Wed May 05, 2010 8:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by HeftySmurf on Wed May 05, 2010 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: content Reply with quote

A FAQ and answer section has been added to the web site. Many good questions have been asked repeatedly.
http://canadianhightops.ca
zacamil7525
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone is interested the new tops will be in North America in approx. 3 weeks. Very Happy
Keith Kiernicki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can hardly wait... So many plans but impossible for me to get started until it is on the van! Where are most people from that bought the tops? I would like to set up a fall camp-out where we can show off what customizations we have done. I am in South East Michigan!
zacamil7525
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the D.C. area. I imagine there are some beautiful camping spots around the Great Lakes.
motelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith Kiernicki wrote:
I can hardly wait... So many plans but impossible for me to get started until it is on the van! Where are most people from that bought the tops? I would like to set up a fall camp-out where we can show off what customizations we have done. I am in South East Michigan!

Get that thing glued on and come to Buses By The Beach in May!

http://www.busesbythebeach.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 72

Jump to: