Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement for AFM screw?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Replacement for AFM screw? Reply with quote

Don't ask how, but I managed to blow this screw out of my engine. I'm parked in Albuquerque at the moment. The VW junkyard is gone, and the parts places I need are closed till Monday (and it's unlikely, I think, that this screw would be in stock). I also can't find it on Van Cafe or Bus Depot.

Does anyone know the exact dimensions of the AFM adjustment screw, or a suitable replacement part? I have a rag stuffed in there now, but that's not a great long-term solution.

Thanks,
James
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to find the screw out of an old AFM. There must be hundreds of them available in a town the size of Albuquerque. Don't think I have ever looked at the end of the screw to see what it is shaped like. Anything similar would be better than nothing.
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a pinch you can be creative. Since the screw only open and closes a bypass channel, allowing more or less air to go around the flap. So you could literally whittle a piece of dowel to go down there and make its own threads. It really needs to seal off the hole from the outside air.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Duct tape may be your friend until "Foreign Aid" opens Monday morning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a wide screw with extremely fine thread, not a part unto itself, it's not likely you would ever find a suitable replacement from any other application. Try Foreign Aide or General Parts on Monday to see if one can be scavenged from a junked AFM. Both are along San Pedro. FA is north of the state fairgrounds right on SP, at the intersection of, I think, Constitution? GP is down SP just south of the fairgrounds on California, one block east of SP and a half-block north of Central.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions.

I may try to make it to the springs on the duct tape fix.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: