Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery ? Universal & Odyssey battery bank
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Here's how I understood Marks setup:

Alternator to Starting battery

Starting Battery - Yandina - 4-bank

Starting Battery - GW Relay - Odyssey

With that set up you shouldn't have any problems. Wire things in a star pattern from the starting battery positive lead, not in a series configuration.

Exactly.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could and possibly even should be done, depending on where the battery is located. You just need a relay in that separate charging cable so the battery is not connected during starting. This will take some of the load off the wiring from the alternator to the main battery and would likely raise the overall charging efficacy of the whole configuration.

Mark

Californio wrote:
1621 wrote:

Would it be better (or even possible) to run an additional charging cable directly from the alternator to the Odyssey alone, and thus bypassing the need for the solenoid or placing the Odyssey third in-line behind the other battery banks. Is this a feasible set-up? Would the stock 90amp alternator be capable of keeping up with this?

I don't think this can be done. It would effectively make the aux battery into a starter battery, as the two would be hardwired together. The wire from the alternator lug goes directly to the starter and thence to the starter battery. Anything placed in that line will simply place the two batteries in parallel, which is not what you want.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, but the question I have is, in practice, will the alternator/wires/relay combination put out enough voltage at the battery to charge it effectively? This is especially true of the Odyssey. And especially true if you're driving along with the fridge, headlights, AC, front fan, DVD player, stereo, radiator fan, personal cooling device, laptop charger, lava lamp, and all the other stuff drawing off that 90-amp alternator. I have doubts. However you hook it up, there is only a certain amount of current that alternator puts out, and if you run it close to capacity for eight hours in hot weather, you risk frying the poor thing.

Can anyone estimate the total number of amps that charging five batteries plus MAXIMUM summer usage would draw?
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Californio wrote:
OK, but the question I have is, in practice, will the alternator/wires/relay combination put out enough voltage at the battery to charge it effectively?

Mine seems too, but I don't run all the accessories you do.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, hard to do without that lava lamp.

I guess what I'm asking is, worst case scenario, with all that stuff running, will charging a bunch of batteries overload the stock alternator? Mine works fine so far too, but I haven't tried it with heavy accessory usage and deeply discharged batteries yet, either.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Californio wrote:
Yes, hard to do without that lava lamp.

I guess what I'm asking is, worst case scenario, with all that stuff running, will charging a bunch of batteries overload the stock alternator? Mine works fine so far too, but I haven't tried it with heavy accessory usage and deeply discharged batteries yet, either.

Would the solution to this simply be a larger capacity alternator should the stock one be over-taxed?
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I had in mind originally. You can get a 120 amp alternator for about $135 and go way up from there if you have the space. But typically the higher output alternators are also physically larger, and I'm kind of stuck there as my alternator is already hitting the deck lid (Tiico conversion with A-3 bracket.) So I'm up in the air as to cutting the deck lid open or leaving it with the 90 amp stock alternator. Which is in turn why I was asking about the maximum draw on the alternator. The 120 amp alternators are about 1/2 inch larger in diameter than the 90's.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You began this part of the thread when you justified your need for a larger alternator by using improper voltage measurement data. Why not take PROPER measurements now and then use that to justify it? You must measure at the ALTERNATOR to find out if the alternator is unable to keep up with the load. Then measure also at the batteries to see if the charging wiring can keep up with the load. Putting in a larger alternator won't necessarily do ANYTHING to raise the charging voltage. Doing proper measurements will help you know what if anything you need to do. SyncroSimons setup shows a 90 amp alternator carrying a pretty heavy load, 100 amps.

It is not that hard to take a few measurements and then make modifications based on meaningful facts. Your wiring may need changes, your alternator may have an internal problem or the voltage regulator may be faulty or set too low. If you actually determine that the alternator is just too small, then get a bigger one.

Mark

Californio wrote:
OK, but the question I have is, in practice, will the alternator/wires/relay combination put out enough voltage at the battery to charge it effectively? This is especially true of the Odyssey. And especially true if you're driving along with the fridge, headlights, AC, front fan, DVD player, stereo, radiator fan, personal cooling device, laptop charger, lava lamp, and all the other stuff drawing off that 90-amp alternator. I have doubts. However you hook it up, there is only a certain amount of current that alternator puts out, and if you run it close to capacity for eight hours in hot weather, you risk frying the poor thing.

Can anyone estimate the total number of amps that charging five batteries plus MAXIMUM summer usage would draw?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: