Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight problems... grounding?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
delliott101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Headlight problems... grounding? Reply with quote

Problem with the headlights...

low beams are very dim. When I turn on the high beams, left side (driver side) is fine... nice and bright... right side switches off.

I tried new headlights... no change. They worked fine before I painted my Bug, so maybe the ground wires are not grounding too well anymore (covered with paint)

So... where ARE the headlight ground wires? I assume they are the wires screwed into either side of the spare tire compartment, but I want to make sure...

We don't own old VWs, we just take care of them for the next driver
vwpackrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes thats the one............usually come through a hole inside the fender well and luggage compartment and screwed to the wall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwpackrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check and wiggle your fuses. These things notorious for not getting good contact and stuff cutting off. Take some sandpaper and get ends of fuses nice and shiny and also the holes in the fuse panel the fuses click into ecspecially if you just painted and got any paint on them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
delliott101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool... I cleaned the grounds (wire wheel) and the high beams on both sides work great... low beam on passenger side works great but the low beam does not work on drivers side... tried a new bulb again... no difference

ladybug89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same problem after i got my 58 back from paint...but my fuse was bad. so maybe give that a shot
Jgowin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x2 on that, alot of times my low beams do the same thing. Take and twist your fuses, you may need to sand the prongs on your fuses or replace them.
delliott101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done all that, but maybe not well enough... I will tackle that tomorrow...

vwpackrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trace back the two wires from your left headlight (should be 1 white and 1 yellow) back to fuse panel. This is your low and high beam for that light. Concentrate on the checking fuses, cleaning, cleaning prong contacts, etc. and you should fix the problem.
delliott101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have to clean the fuse connections and whatnot... but...

I just drove to the store and when the headlights are on, the turnsignals don't work. Steady on when I activate them. Headlights off, they work fine

muffler bearing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem but with my tail lights the running lights are bright but the stop lights are VERY dim. Do you think changing the ground straps at the trans would help? I have done all of the fuse and ground cleaning. Hope you don't mind it I tag along.
75 Riviera
Yes, I do have a Bentley.
HerrrKafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your low beams wouldn't be fused if the wiring is pretty stock, but definitely clean all the connections -- especially the connection on T1 going to the dim low beam (if one low beam is OK, the problem is NOT a drop before the "T"). You're running 12V IIRC?

delliott101 wrote:
I just drove to the store and when the headlights are on, the turnsignals don't work. Steady on when I activate them. Headlights off, they work fine
That sounds like a bad ground.

EverettB wrote:
In a perfect world, anyone running chromies would be shot.
delliott101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed the headlight (loose wire) but still having the turnsignal problem... will get to that next

Thanks!

jroymcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a simular problem,

All might lights work but everything is dim. Battery not get charged with the lights on. Bad ground?

where do I start?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the middle of going through our "new" 61. Lots of hacked splices, fuse box had overspray, connections were marginal, pigtails on headlights were not in the greatest of shape.

I documented the fuse box connections throroughly and pulled it. Got a couple small steel wire brushes for my dremel, wire and headlight connectors at NAPA and cleaned all the fuse box connections particularly where the fuses touch. Put it back in and used the dremel to clean the spade lugs. Replaced the pig tails at the headlight, remade the harness to the one headlight (not hard - some 14 and 16 guage hook up wire and wire loom ). Also, pulled the wires off the switch and cleaned them up. Replaced spades where needed.

All lights work very well now. (Took a short day to do this) Doing the horn and wiper circuit today - since I am converting to 2 speed and electric washer, I'll probably spent about a day on it.

I'll be moving to the taillights and engine in a couple days and will do the same thing.

Here's the thing, you can tackle specific areas as you have problems or just do it all at one time, this way you are done. Its an old car and has been hacked for many years. All of the connections are corroded and oxidized. Do it right and do it once.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roamingwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
..... Do it right and do it once.

I also did this part of reviving on my bug just this past week. One of the high beams didn't come on. It does now. My turn signal lights came on but didn't flash. A friend (///mink on thesamba) helped with the flasher unit diagnosis and found it was not grounded. Now the turn signals work, with that nice faint clicking sound from the flasher cylinder, behind the dash.

My fuse block fell apart on #1 fuse clip. It had heated up in the past, and the plastic turned brittle and finally broke off. So I replaced the block with an old spare, and cleaned up all contacts with a wire brush before install, like andk5591 has described. Made sure all wiring connectors had sufficient tension, by crimping the clips just a smidge tighter, a tad closer. Now nearly everything works. It was not finger-friendly during reinstallment. But it's what the bug needs. (Not working still: a dead horn. Replacing horn on its way.)

Back to your issue: Do what's necessary, take your time, the result will surprise you and make it a safer ride. Highly recommended! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: