Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

43 quart chest fridge for $376, free shipping
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: 43 quart chest fridge for $376, free shipping Reply with quote

http://www.compactappliance.com/FP430-Compact-Edge...20Freezers

It seems very similar to the VERY nice Engel fridges, same power draw at least according to the linked add, but he manufacturer's website has it at 5.7 amps at 12V...?

At any rate, its a good price on a fridge and maybe some of you guys are interested.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I was ready to buy one but still have to sell SsWWs first and then onto a picked out Vanagon diesel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah I am going to buy one but thought I'd go for the
63Q Outside Dimensions: 20.7"h x 28.1"w x 17.9"d, 6.25 Amps @ 12V DC
http://www.edgestar.com/products/fridgefreeze/fp630.asp
vs
43Q External Dimensions: 20.8"h x 24.7"w x 17.7"d, 5.4 Amps @ 12V DC
http://www.edgestar.com/products/fridgefreeze/fp430.asp

I dont think that extra 4 inches would be that much of an issue & the diff in price is 423-476=47

but almost another amp how do you calc battery time based on amp draw ?

I assume it will do the full 6.25 draw until it hits the the set temp then it will cycle on/off & I wonder what the practical draw/hr would be fully loaded at 70F..

Is the reality you only need to have on while driving then when ya park at the camp spot you can turn it off for the night & it will stay cool enuff till the AM?
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclark wrote:

Is the reality you only need to have on while driving then when ya park at the camp spot you can turn it off for the night & it will stay cool enuff till the AM?

Int he comments a guy says he does that and it warms up about 10* overnight.

For battery life you need to know that AH rating of your battery NOT the CCA. A typical battery is around 70 AH, if for example the fridge draws 7 amps and never stopped running the battery would be dead in 10 hours.

If this fridge is like an engel it runs very little, my buddies engel only runs about once an hour for ~5 minutes (at 70* F outside). That is, the engel runs WAY WAY less than my vitrofrigo. Based on the comments for this fridge my hunch is that it has the same swing motor that the engel has so it too should be quite efficient overall.

Samba ad here.

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your buddy may be exaggerating by some margin. According to the Engel factory test data their 43 QT similar unit runs about 25% of the time when set to it's warmest setting in a 75 degree F ambient location. It runs about 50% of the time in 95 F.

http://www.engel-usa.com/engel/MT45F%20curve.jpg

Mark

jackbombay wrote:

If this fridge is like an engel it runs very little, my buddies engel only runs about once an hour for ~5 minutes (at 70* F outside). That is, the engel runs WAY WAY less than my vitrofrigo. Based on the comments for this fridge my hunch is that it has the same swing motor that the engel has so it too should be quite efficient overall.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Your buddy may be exaggerating by some margin.

I actually slept (about 6" from it) next to/lived by his engel on his boat for 3 days and 2 nights, the observations were mine. I didn't log run times, but I do know that engel ran way way less than the VF in my westy under similar conditions.

Samba ad here.

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engel gives temperature perfomance curves for several of their fridges and all show minimum run times of 10-15 minutes per hour, at the warmest setting in 75 F air. The run times all about double in 95 F air to 20-30 min per hour. That does not seem too far from how my Vitrifrigo does but I haven't timed mine either. I wonder how well the cheaper unit in this thread does? It takes more amps than the Engels do so I have to wonder if it then runs less or what.

Here is a clearer link to a factory chart of the shortest running 1 of 6 Engel models they give test data for. Shows about 10 minutes per hour at warmest setting in 75F air, doubling to 20 minutes in 95F air, not bad at all.

http://www.engel-usa.com/engel/MT60F%20curve.gif

Mark

jackbombay wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:
Your buddy may be exaggerating by some margin.

I actually slept (about 6" from it) next to/lived by his engel on his boat for 3 days and 2 nights, the observations were mine. I didn't log run times, but I do know that engel ran way way less than the VF in my westy under similar conditions.

Last edited by crazyvwvanman on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a wee thought. The boat being in the water keeps inside the hull somewhat cooler. AND so much depends on the insulation job. This I know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simba'sWestyWings wrote:
just a wee thought. The boat being in the water keeps inside the hull somewhat cooler.

The temp inside the boat was the same as outside, mid 70's F, there was no air conditioning effect from the hull of the boat being in water. I've spent a fair bit of time on boats and have never noticed any air conditioning effect from the hull being in water.

I have owned a VF for a couple years, and I've spent over 200 nights/days in my westy so I am quite familiar with how much the VF runs and having spent 3 days with the engel I was amazed at how much less it ran compared to my VF, ymmv.

Samba ad here.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, do you think because it is top loaded it retains the cooler temperature better than a side loaded one? Most deep freezers are top loaded for some reason I think and the sail boats I have chartered are also top loading. I am still using my original fridge, but have been thinking of adding the Edgestar 43 to replace the coleman cooler we always end up bringing. I like the propane feature of the stock fridge even though overall it is a mediocore refrigerator. It would have to die though before I swap it out. I also noticed tha Edgestar sells portable air conditioners. Handy in the south. I wonder if the compact one would fit between the front seats when camping. I need to measure.

Last edited by MarkWard on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, a link to an Edgestar thread a while back

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=366142&highlight=edgestar

has links to web pages with reviews and insights.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
Jack, do you think because it is top loaded it retains the cooler temperature better than a side loaded one?

I ran some rough calculations on that a while back, based on $50 full fridge and %70 air exchange when the door opens. When you open the door of a front loader and close it is roughly the equivalent of putting 1/4 ounce of 70* F water in the fridge, as far as how much extra work the fridge has to do. That is also assuming zero air exchange with a top loader, which isn't the case as there will always be some air exchange.

I think a bunch of it is that the engel is just better insulated, and the low current draw super quiet compressor motor is just icing on the cake.

Samba ad here.

jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

Neil.

I sure am tempted to get one after reading that through review!

jfarsang wrote:

With the fridge full, I could only hear it cycle maybe 6 times yesterday throughout the day. Barely sips any mah from the house battery.

Sounds just like my experience with the Engel.

Samba ad here.

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

Neil.

I sure am tempted to get one after reading that through review!

Yah a compressor type fridge is tempting. Every year I "threaten" to upgrade. Obviously depends on ones camping lifestyle, but at the very least, I would need a larger aux. battery or solar supplement.

I wonder if it would fit in place of Dometic? So what if the food spills out when opened. Who cares?

Pre-scrambled eggs. Way easier to make.

Wink

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 2 sailboats (not at the same time) the wooden one was slightly cooler (well probably damp) but the fibreglass one I had built was much cooler inside than outside (as long as there was a breeze of any sort).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: