Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding a 'Shift'Light' on the cheap
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Adding a 'Shift'Light' on the cheap Reply with quote

Even though my CS engine revs to 5K+ easily, I'd really rather keep around 4K.

Bought one of these Shift Lights a few months ago but didn't like the idea of that big old can mounted to my dash
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/black-adjustable-shift-light-red-light.aspx
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Since it was only $30. I decided to take it apart and see if I could come up with a more elegant installation
Turns out it was simple circuit board, a LED bulb & holder and potentiometer to adjust the RPMs.
So I lengthend the leads on the 'pot' & mounted it in the side of my IP, added leads to the light & mounted it above my defrost switch (interference fit) and added quick disconnect to the power and tach leads
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Took it for a test drive and adjusted to come on just over 4K... no more over-revs

(I posted this to 'what did you do to...' thread first)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could use that on my aircooled. Had the tunes cranked a few times and next thing I know I'm at 5000 rpm. Glad I went to the trouble of balancing all the rotating parts. Smooth as butter at 5K.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: